• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A little help, please

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
I find myself in a very strange position, indeed:

I am supposed to run a pick-up game on Sunday. Now, usually, it is no issue because I have been playing and DMing since 1978 and can throw together an adventure while watching TV, helping the kids with their homework and arguing with the wife... unfortunately, there is a Druid in the party and I am not that great at all wilderness adventures on the fly... Usually, if I am not designing the entire campaign, and have time to work at it, I revert back to a small, insignificant one or two encounter wilderness trek and throw in a castle or caves or a typical dungeon crawl...

Are there any modules for 3.x or earlier that are druid friendly that I can grab and throw them through?
The characters are all level 1.

Could one of my fellow EnWorld denizens please assist me?

I thank you in advance

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
What Dandu said. Do you know what kind of a druid it is? And is there a reason outside of 'I want to shape the adventure to be friendly to a character type' why you should actually do that?

Personally I wouldn't expect a DM to place us in a forest just because I happened to be playing a character who traditionally likes forests.

Here's lots of free adventures for all sorts of campaigns:
RPG Archive: Role Playing Community Site and Online Adventure Database

Last edited:

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
I understand that druids are fully able to function in town settings,and can even be slightly effective in underground or ruins settings... I, actually, need to be more clear about what I am walking into.
My family is going to a friend's house for Easter, and I am running a game for her family (plus, my step-son). This is not my standard table, and I am doing this as a one off. These characters (with the exception of my step-son's character and one other who is visiting from out of state) are being accepted by the experienced player who is DMing at her house for her standard group.

There are going to be 6 players this weekend:
1 experienced player
1 player with about 10 sessions under his belt
1 player with about 3 missions under her belt
1 player who last played in the 80's
2 brand new-first time ever players

We have:
1 fighter (brand new)
1 bard (my step-son)
1 cleric (3 missions)
1 druid (brand new)
1 monk (80's- out of state)
1 sorcerer (experienced)

The experienced player assisted everyone with their characters, except for my step-son whose character description of what he wanted to play ended up being a bard.
The bard, and sorcerer have the magic pretty well covered.
The cleric and the druid split the holy magic exceedingly well... the cleric is doing the healing/defensive magic, the druid is doing the offensive/nature magic. We gave the druid the possibility of 8 spells, with the standard spells per day ability (house rules, not my house).
The druid's spells are:
Detect Poison
Flare
Know Direction
Purify Food/ Drink
Read Magic
Charm Animal
Entangle
Speak With Animals

The player is learning these spells and what they do, and how they work, and how and when to use them... as she is brand new, I am reluctant to tell her that she has to completely trash the spells she is learning and learn new ones. I want to keep her as a part of the family, so to speak, and not have her so frustrated that she is apathetic about the game.

That is why I am looking for a more wilderness based adventure... so that she can use her spells and her natural abilities. Once I am done, I am not so worried about what happens with the character. There will be a couple more experienced players/dm's to assist her with her personal/character growth. I am just hoping to get her with 1) excited about her druid and all that she can do so that she sticks with the game and gets to 5th level so she can shape shift (her ultimate goal), or to get her excited enough to stay as a player and to realize the druid is not for her and maybe another class...whichever. By taking her into a dungeon crawl/city/castle ruins/etc. and having her not be able to take her character out and "open it up on the highway", she might get bored and not stick around.
While I am not basing the mission around the druid, and am going to put encounters and other such fun stuff (for me ;) ) for all of the characters, I do need- as I said- to add enough to get the new characters jazzed about the next adventure to see what else their character can do.

I truly appreciate the links, and found one that looks truly interesting and is going to be workable so that I can personalize it for the party I am dealing with.

Thanks again, guys

Sekhmet

First Post
Wall of Text deals 13 damage, Sekhmet is Disabled.

That is a great reason to run a more wilderness-y campaign. Making the game enjoyable should always be the primary goal of the DM, especially when new players are involved.
I'll look through my adventures/modules and try to find something perfect for your group tonight.

They're all ECL 1, right?

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
Yes, Sekhmet, they are...
I have found the adventure I am doing- a ship wreck/ stranded on an island deal with something for everyone... including a fair, yet completely evil DM...
The characters (who are thoroughly equipped with armor and weapons and all of the niceties to survive the Rapture itself) lose EVERYTHING!!! and are required to make do with what washes up on the shore (that is for the evil DM who cackled his most vile laugh possible upon reading this).

There is wilderness encounters and combat that will allow the druid to make use of her abilities and spells
There is combat for the fighter (with only the leather armor that shows up on shore :devil: )
There is plenty of healing and chances for her to use other spells... no undead that I saw; however, I am sure that can be remedied
All sorts of mysteries for the bard to use his bardic knowledge... and opportunities for snooping and pooping
Plenty of opportunity for spell casting...

Combat... puzzles... role playing....
I am going to have to play with it a tiny bit just to make it more personal for them; however, I think this is going to be fun for all of them, and will keep the new kids (1 is 18, 1 is 12) interested.

Thanks for the offer; however, I have found what I was looking for.

anest1s

First Post
They're all ECL 1, right?

No, the druid player is less than 1 ECL - because she was allowed to choose only 8 spells. So now she isn't able to adapt her spell list to the environment. This means the DM has to adapt the environment to her.

Nice house rule. :erm:

Omegaxicor

First Post
Wall of Text deals 13 damage, Sekhmet is Disabled.

Is that all it takes, 13 damage, wow...weak? :p

I would think it would be better to have her in a normal adventure for three reasons...

1) If she is great in a wilderness adventure it may set her expectations too high, I have had this with new people before.
2) Her spells seem equally effective in wilderness as not (unless I am missing something specific in them that states "Only In Wilderness")
3) She chose the Druid and had to know that she wouldn't be in the wilderness all the time (this is more of my opinion than a point but I thought it relevant)

EDIT: Touché...

Last edited:

Remove ads