A Look Inside Ghosts of Saltmarsh: Contents, Saltmarsh Map, & More

NewbieDM over on Twitter has a copy of Ghosts of Saltmarsh and has shared some initial glimpses inside! The book releases on May 21st.

NewbieDM over on Twitter has a copy of Ghosts of Saltmarsh and has shared some initial glimpses inside! The book releases on May 21st.

gos1.jpg

"First, the setting...The village of Saltmarsh is unequivocally set in Greyhawk. It says so in the book. This is not set in the Forgotten Realms, nor in some ambiguous generic world. This is Greyhawk.

So remember how in UK1, Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, the village itself was largely left for DMs to populate and create? Not now. Saltmarsh is a living breathing place with 3 factions vying for power: Traditionalists, Loyalists (to the Kingdom of Keoland), Scarlet Brotherhood.

Saltmarsh is fully fleshed out, as is the nearby region, and the political happenings are presented as a way to ground the PCs as they embark on a Saltmarsh based campaign."

gos2.jpg

I thought this book was comparable to Tales of the Yawning Portal... and it is, but it takes its usefulness a step further. It actually helps you craft a campaign with the included adventures, using Saltmarsh’s factions as the drivers.

goh3.jpg

goh4.jpg

goh5.jpg

There's a LOT more images and commentary over at the Twitter link. Also don't miss my summary
of all the adventures found within, which I posted a couple of days ago, or our extensive podcast coverage of all those adventures.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's interesting the order they've done the adventures -- the original Saltmarsh trilogy opens it, as expected, but Salvage Operation and Isle of the Abbey are inserted before The Final Enemy. Finishes on The Styes, as you'd expect. I wonder how much meta plot if any will be threaded through all this?

Based on the Spoilers & Swag chatter, this will be very, very sandboxy.

Barantor

Explorer
Will this open up Greyhawk for DMSGUILD?

We were told originally that this was setting agnostic, but then I'm seeing mention of Keoland, Vecna... St Cuthbert!

I do hope this opens it up, though I'm not holding my breath too hard. This is the most intrinsically linked adventure to Greyhawk so far, even the TftYP adventures weren't this tied into Greyhawk.

So all the posts, pages, and full threads moaning about how Saltmarsh was being appropriated and that there would be no connection to Greyhawk were, as expected, a whole bunch of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

What's the official page count, by the way? I've looked at both the WotC website anf Amazon, and was unable to find it. I'm curious just how big the monsters section at the end will be...

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads