A Minor Rant

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'll freely admit that my American history is pretty patchy, and although I watched The Squire of Gothos relatively recently, I didn't associate that with Hamilton at all. That said, I didn't really mind the spoiler. Chances are that I'll have forgotten it long before I ever get a chance to see Hamilton in the theater. I just wasn't expecting a spoiler in a thread ranting about spoilers :p
It’s one of the best plays I’ve ever seen. Definitely worth the price of admission to see it if it runs in your general vicinity. I saw it at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood, which is a whole experience in itself, but the venue couldn’t distract from the play.

edit: also, yeah that is kinda funny. Fair. 😅

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Hang out with me. People are constantly surprised that I don't even know about the existence of recent movies and series much less have the ability to spoil them. The advantage of being behind the times and not active on most social media is that I almost never am subject to spoilers. The downside is that when I start watching a series or watch a movie most people have already seen it. I've learned never to talk to people about anything I'm watching until I'm done. I generally binge watch a series or a few movies about once every month or two.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Also, the play itself spoils its own ending in the opening number. It's one of those things where the tension is more about seeing how the foretold ending comes to pass.

Like Romeo and Juliet. Which is a play.

Unlike Hamilton, which is a musical. ;)

Edit-

I should add that Hamilton is actually somewhat ambiguous in the opening number. Burr does end it with stating that he shot Hamilton, and the continual play of themes after that - throwing away your shot, speak and die, etc., all of it should tell you what happens. But there are people I know who did not realize that Hamilton would be killed by that! In other words, they still assumed that the shot wasn’t going to kill him. Maybe that tells us something about hope, or the need for better civics lessons, but …. Who knows. Maybe they just weren’t paying any attention???

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
For reference:

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, we definitely need to work on our education system. Some things shouldn’t be spoilers, TBH.
I think that non Americans could be given a pass. I'm a Canadian and knew about it, however, it was because of research I did as a kid, after seeing the afore-mentioned episode of ST:TOS. I had virtually no American History in school because... well, I'm not American.

Remove ads