D&D 5E A Monk Based on Kvothe, from "The Name of the Wind": How Do?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That's a tough one. As written, Kvothe is one of those perfect examples of how classic D&D concepts can completely fail to capture literary characters. He has classic bardic tropes, like playing the lute and singing, yet a good part of the book is spent on him learning magic that is the product of intense technical study driven by his ridiculously high Intelligence stat. On top of that, he also has a latent talent for a more innate style of magic (with fey overtones), and semi-randomly picks up a weapon-based martial art (which I guess is where the monk is coming from.)

Happy to help. While a person could come up with A Way of Songs and tack on some bard abilities with minimal work, I think it's possible to get sufficiently "Kvothe-y" without homebrewing. I could be wrong, but it sounds like the player wants to roleplay as Kvothe more than just have Kvothe's cool abilities like sympathetic magic. I would think that all this character needs is to be close enough to not break his immersion.

This is...

...frustratingly good advice. Thanks Ralif! I'll suggest it to the player and see what he thinks.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I might also suggest as a race going with a medium sized gnome and reflavoring it as a human. That would allow the aspect of being a tinker from the first book to fit into the mechanics, as well as his preternatural talent with his mind via gnomish cunning. I might also replace the 5e version of the Tinker ability with the One D&D version, since it is more streamlined and provides prestidigitaiton, which seems appropriate. Plus I just like that version better than the convoluted clockwork options from the 5e version.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’m confused by one thing in the OP. How does the character based on Kvothe with a focus on being a mystical sword fighter not fit the setting?

Seems like a perfect and natural fit for a Renaissance Italy inspired swashbuckling game.

Kensei is an excellent swashbuckler, especially with some levels of rogue for swashbuckler or fighter for Battlemaster after level 5.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Focus less on the monk aspect being tropes with cultural association. Instead focus reworked lore on the dedication to the blade and how that works. I think Lan from Wheel of Time would be built with Kensei, for example.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Kvothe is a bit of an artificer isn't he?

So, to me the "key concepts" about Kvothe are:

• Magic (but that's out)
  • artificer magic
  • swordplay (several ways of doing this, kensei monk is one)
  • fey dealing
  • music
  • origin as a street urchin

Fey dealing I think is going to be something to do in game (archfey warlock or fey-touch feat won't do because they don't want magic).

Artificer I think the "reflavor a gnome to human" idea by @Hawk Diesel is the best way to go.

Music - since he's not taking bard, the entertainer background is the way to capture this...

... but then you can't take street urchin as a background! Will probably have to be sacrificed.

Quickleaf

Legend
  • Human variant with Mobile feat
  • Entertainer background ("Renaissance man" to emulate Kvothe)
  • Monk with these Tasha's options: Dedicated Weapon, Ki-Fueled Attack, and Focused Aim (oh and call Ki Points "panache points")
  • Kensei subclass (re-skinned as an Italian Renaissance swordsman subclass)

You make a good point - Kvothe could be created using different classes, depending on which part and time period of him a person focuses on. If you look at Kvothe during his student period, he's very much a mechanically-based magician.

I'm also reminded of how Deities and Demigods/Legends and Lore would frequently use at least three different classes to try to simulate certain literary characters.

Kvothe is a bit of an artificer isn't he?

So, to me the "key concepts" about Kvothe are:

• Magic (but that's out)
  • artificer magic
  • swordplay (several ways of doing this, kensei monk is one)
  • fey dealing
  • music
  • origin as a street urchin

Fey dealing I think is going to be something to do in game (archfey warlock or fey-touch feat won't do because they don't want magic).

Artificer I think the "reflavor a gnome to human" idea by @Hawk Diesel is the best way to go.

Music - since he's not taking bard, the entertainer background is the way to capture this...

... but then you can't take street urchin as a background! Will probably have to be sacrificed.

Remove ads