• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A neotrad TTRPG design manifesto

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Yes, and another area where IMHO things like SCs and Clocks are quite useful as they really are pretty 'scale independent', both in time and space. For example an SC could be used as a classic training montage, can you learn the winning move before the big fight? Well, in my implementation the last bit of that would BE the fight, probably, but there you go, you can zoom in, and out, etc. If I want to do that with nothing but skill checks I basically have to invent the same sort of framework, even if informally in my head.
I wasn’t even thinking of anything like that (and if that’s where @Thomas Shey was trying to go in his reply in post #283, then I apologize for my confusion). I was just thinking if your game is trying to be like a John Wick movie, but play navigating from the Continental Hotel street by street until you get to your destination, you should probably just jump straight to the fighting since that’s what everyone is there to do.

I wasn’t even thinking of anything like that (and if that’s where @Thomas Shey was trying to go in his reply in post #283, then I apologize for my confusion). I was just thinking if your game is trying to be like a John Wick movie, but play navigating from the Continental Hotel street by street until you get to your destination, you should probably just jump straight to the fighting since that’s what everyone is there to do.
Yeah, basically there you are taking 4e's 'skip to the interesting part' advice, which is definitely one of the most purely narrativist statements in the 4e DMG.

clearstream

(He, Him)
MDA specifies what it means by mechanics. Insisting on a different definition doesn’t allow us to say anything useful about or using MDA anymore. If we want to use MDA as a framework, we have to use the structures it provides. We can call them other things (as DDE does), but the meanings are the same. If DDE can account for tabletop RPGs, then it follows that MDA can as well. All that means is MDA has poor terminology, which (as you quoted Lantz in post #225) is a known problem.
It could be simply that MDA implies too narrow a scope for "stuff designer controls", where DDE uses better language and examples. With MDA I find I cannot fit some phenomena in, and in other cases its not clear whether something is on the M side or A, such as the style of an art asset. Dynamics doesn't apply quite as well to TTRPG - "play" is better (and has been suggested by others for the framework overall.) Once it is read or reframed that way, then I would agree with you that it can say some useful things for TTRPG design. In a nutshell (@pemerton might be interested here)

Design is simply stuff designer can control. That can include rules (both constitutive and regulatory), principles and other exhortations to uphold the desired practice, examples of play, setting description, premade characters, illustrations. The designed layer is game-as-artifact. Think of the other layers as lying atop it. They perhaps couldn't exist without it, but they are not reliably isomorphic to it. We can put the game text here.​
Play is the engagement with the system by players, activating it. For videogames, "dynamics" is reasonable because you can have systems that run themselves. For TTRPG it can only be thought of in the form of play. That would include any procedures one player carries out even in the absence of others. The play layer lies atop the designed layer. We can include player imagination here, even if as I contend it includes a form of game mechanic, on the assumption that it's compelled or constrained by the design.​
Experience is entirely on the player side: their feelings, satisfactions, tensions, excitements, frustrations, hopes, learnings and so on. The effect of the game on the player. In MDA and similar frameworks, an attempt is made to classify these into creative motives like challenge, exploration, fellowship, expression. The aim is to move away from generic terms like "fun" which means something different to each player.) Experience subsists in or emerges from the play of the game. Think of it as the top layer: what the game is like to play... its effect on you.​

The idea is to work out what experience you want to deliver, and then design toward that. Good advice. What's particularly relevant for us is the implicit and crucial notion that designers do not directly control experience. I make a big deal out of that, because one of the more subtle ideas of MDA/DDE/DPE is that a designer can make the experience likely but not certain. So in relation to neotrad I say that they can't make it likely enough unless they explicitly design for what GM does, because otherwise it will default to trad.

I've often said play is process not product. Performance might be a better word. Game-as-artifact is a highly specific tool that can be used by players to achieve particular performances. Much as hammers can be used by carpenters to achieve nails set in the wood, which they do not to set nails in wood, but to build a birdhouse.

What “neotrad” means seems to be part of the issue. I took Härenstam’s definition at face value, “A hybrid between simulation games and Story games. Often looks like traditional simulation games (expensive books), but contains a lot of inspiration from the indie games mainly in terms of mechanics.”
In another thread I independently suggested "neosim", which could feasibly be what Härenstam had in mind. However, I think it is more important to try to understand his motives for posting
...the very purpose of the thread was to protest against the, in my opinion, destructive and unnecessary division into indie and trad. To give suggestions for other ways of looking at things, other categories.
IIRC there are five pages of comments, and among those to my reading TH makes it clear that he's not hung up on his taxonomy. I was clear in my OP that I'm using the label "neotrad" to include such enduring modes of play as OSR, sandbox, sim, and trad.

Baker assumes a goof faith attempt to play the game, which is what I also assume. I think the issue of how to get people to follow the rules is intractable, so I don’t worry about it. It’s like trying to make your game resilient in case the sun explodes while people are playing. There’s not much you can do about that.
(Emphasis mine.) In AW and DitV Baker does almost exactly the opposite! He doesn't leave it to good faith attempts, he lays out exactly what he expects from the GM. On first read it's kind of astonishing, and refreshing. Here's one pithy example addressed to MC

Everything you say, you should do it to accomplish these three, and no other. It’s not, for instance, your agenda to make the players lose, or to deny them what they want, or to punish them, or to control them, or to get them through your pre-planned storyline (DO NOT pre-plan a storyline, and I’m not naughty word around). It’s not your job to put their characters in double-binds or dead ends, or to yank the rug out from under their feet. Go chasing after any of those, you’ll wind up with a boring game that makes Apocalypse World seem contrived, and you’ll be pre-deciding what happens by yourself, not playing to find out.​

Utilizing the MDA/DDE/DPE framework, which hopefully I've offered an effective olive branch in regard to, text like the above is design. Baker controlled what he wrote there. What he can't control is precisely what experience player engagement with that piece of text will lead to. But actually his approach is one of redundancy. The design (D) guides to play (P) of the design (D); securing the intended experience (E). So Baker has designed both the game mechanics (like moves), and an agenda and principles for engaging with them. That's not relying on good faith. It's including in the game design exactly how you are positioning GM.

When would a designer choose to engage this philosophy?
When they wanted their design intent to matter, faced with otherwise overpowering default assumptions.

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
But you, @clearstream, seem to see at least some of the games falling under my third and last dot point as failures from the point of view of your manifesto - as in, they are really just "trad" with no genuine "neo". And I'm curious as to what you envisage the "neo" being, that goes beyond the games you see as failures but that doesn't just amount to a game being a Baker-ish indie game (ie an example of my second dot point).
At the heart of it is the idea of player centrality, which I connect with the narrativist comprehension of the lusory-duality (player as simultaneously author and audience.) I want to be able to observe the supposedly neotrad play and see something recognisably different from trad play, and the nature of that difference will relate to the lusory-duality.

Maybe the manifesto for neotrad should grow to two terms
  1. guarantee the lusory-duality (player as simultaneously author and audience)
  2. reposition GM by demarking them player (subject to the game rather than master over it?)
  3. ... having just read @Manbearcat's #270 and #274 I can see there is still more work to do!
The parenthesised to 2. draws on Miguel Sicart's idea of player-subject, which is that we do not play as ourselves, but rather as a subject of the game with playful powers and concerns. Even while sustaining our awareness of ourselves as not-player. Sicart developed this idea in order to investigate the ethics of games (is it ethical/unethical to beat up sex-workers in Grand Theft Auto?) How should this apply to GM? I think the idea of making yourself subject to game might be relevant to where the role most profitably lands. And is GM afterall subject to game?

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
The one case where I've seen it in play it felt decent--and I understand what you mean, the 4e skill challenges I participated in felt, well, bland. I suspect they lacked enough moving parts to have any real nuance (the problem with a lot of comparatively simple skill based resolution processes; I think 4e tried to address it but just couldn't quite stick the landing).
One reason I prefer L5R momentum is that it keeps the focus on the play rather than the tracking. What you're doing to gain momentum, rather than the mechanical structure of tracking successes and fails.

Aldarc

Legend
A few examples I’ve seen:
  • WWN uses System Strain to let you be at full HP at the start of combat. This is how it handles attrition, which is different from typical old-school sensibilities. Instead of making hit points a resource you have to manage, it offloads attrition to System Strain. Being out of System Strain is bad because you can’t be healed, and negative effects that would cause you to gain System Strain will kill you when you have none left.
This is also one of the purposes of healing surges in 4e. Once you were out, then that limited your ability to receive any more HP healing. You were on your own if you ran out of healing surges.

Ironsworn is one of the few PbtA-inspired games that got this memo.

clearstream

(He, Him)
But in trad (post-classic) play, the participants have the responsibility for opening scenes, closing them, transitioning, etc, in real play time. How a game handles this is, in part, a function of its currency rules. (Eg the way that injury, associated penalties, and healing work in Rolemaster means that scenes are never fully closed; or think about the implications for scene closure of a fairly standard expectation that a character will salvage arrows after a fight.) But, as you suggest in your post, other aspects of the game (both design and play) might affect this stuff too.

I don't think a good RPG design will just punt this stuff to the GM. It will either provide methods (like map-and-key, or MHRP Action/Transition scenes), or guidelines (as AW does), maybe both - and also illustrations (whether of prep, like a sample dungeon; or a play example) that show how the game is meant to work.

And then the currency rules need to be designed not to subvert those methods and guidelines. Notice how Gygax's advice to GMs in his DMG, about "restocking" dungeons between adventures, tends to undermine the game's methods for managing scenes and hence managing pace and excitement in play. That advice is, in my view, the beginning of D&D's move from being officially "classic" to officially "trad", with resulting tensions between the formal and informal components of system.
I don't quite follow your comment about Rolemaster? One decision in game design (including videogame design) is whether scene-closure will persist consequences into future gamestate. In TTRPG, the answer is almost always yes, and that is most often handled by currencies (using the term broadly), such as rep, XP, turf, hit dice, hit points, stress, spell slots, and by conditions (again, used loosely) such as "injury, associated penalties", angry, thirsty etc.

A design cost of not sealing consequences inside a scene is that it introduces variance impacting any plan you had in advance - such as the difficulty of future scenes. Adventure paths often introduce compensatory mechanisms, such as advising GM that this section of the planned adventure needs characters to be at level X, and if they are at level Y make this change (level them up, remove foes, whatever.)

One of the very interesting opportunities of paying out currencies is to supply PCs with shared assets that scene-closure pays out change to. BitD supplies an obvious example of that (gangs), and it can emerge in games like Traveller and Dark Heresy (ships). Player investment in their shared asset can be predicted to lead to player goal-formation where they (the players) plan scenes that they know will benefit it. A happy play loop of just the right sort.

clearstream

(He, Him)
how do you figure out what process of play arises given certain mechanics and aesthetics? There could be other questions, but that one feels pretty central.
@Emberashh rightly listed playtesting and iteration. Another shortcut is observation. Design patterns distil the foregoing into a toolkit for future designers (or forgetful current designers.)

It might be a commercial concern in particular, but none of this really gets at - why is it worth designing at all? Why does delivering that experience matter? The strongest predictor of traction is that a game is are differentiated on features that matter to players.

It will solve burning problems or do some jobs that aren't be done. In ways that are (more) accessible and sufficiently (or better) polished. AW succeeded because it did a job that wasn't being done, in a way that was accessible and well enough polished. Usually, successful designs rest on precursors - designs that were already solving said problem or doing said job, but less accessibly and less polished.

clearstream

(He, Him)
FUNCTION: The point of player input into situation-framing in both NeoTrad and Story Now play is to ensure player protagonism. However, where they diverge is that, in Story Now play its to ensure play is about the crucible of "PC motivations/goals being opposed aggressively by threats/dangers/antagonism" and then we discover how character, setting, and follow-on situation change by these collisions of opposing forces. Neotrad play is mostly or totally coalitional here and that comes via GM & player working in concert and/or system serving as a mediator for that coalition. The GM provides the metaplot and the player provides the character and those participants (possibly along with system) put in the work to ensure the dynamics of the crucible outlined above don't deface player conception of character (and possibly of metaplot...I think that is a case-by-case basis).
I see this as exactly right. I put it in another post that the narrativist comprehension of the lusory-duality (player as simultaneously author and audience) matters to neotrad just as much as it matters to storynow, but storynow wants to do something else about it. As you say, storynow wants the crucible, etc.

Great post, couldn't agree more.

Remove ads