• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A neotrad TTRPG design manifesto

Going to throw a few words at this in hopes that perhaps it helps this thread along.

I believe elsewhere you've seen my take on one of the primary juxtapositions of Neotrad play and Story Now play?

• Form (with intentionally removed function) of Story Now design where risk/stakes are reduced via the vectors of system and/or table conspiracy. This can mean things like (a) the game is not particularly difficult in terms of attainment of objectives or (b) that the system meta entails the means to ensure high-stakes objective attainment, typically at the forfeiture of low-stakes objective attainment (which might barely rise beyond the realm of color/texture rather than "toothy consequences"). An easy example of this is resolution framework + currency economy paradigm + difficulty dials that yield player opt-into forfeiture of low-stakes objective attainment in order to gain the necessary currencies to ensure high-stakes objective attainment later.
  • GM Metaplot synergizing/working in concert with player-side railroading where there is either explicit or well-signaled conception of character from player to GM with the expectation that this conception gets mapped onto play via a character arc; this is the table conspiracy in the first bullet point. Sometimes, the player has profound or total control of this via system (see bullet point one above for an example).

So (IMO) one of the key areas where Neotrad and Story Now play diverge is not in form. They can "look" very similar to one another on the surface. Its in the function. Story Now games are supposed to be designed to be resistant to any railroading (by GM and player) or expectations of Story Before mapping onto play (like the ensured conception of character) so that all participants can "play to find out." Story Now games typically handle the function component of this by (a) flatly telling you where your headspace should be (players and GM) and (b) designing in a scheme of character > conflict > fallout > advancement ("advancement" here doesn't inherently mean "stronger", though it can) that cannot be gamed such that preplay character or plot conception can be successfully mapped. The game generates dynamism of outcomes and trajectories via its engine and both it and the text rebuke/foil efforts by any participant to circumvent this.

A bit of an aside, but this is one reason why I think 4e is such an excellent design. The "dial" for Neotrad vs Story Now is pretty straight-forward; difficulty. The difficulty curve of 4e works. Just turn the knob. There is a clear regime change at some point in 4e play where the engine will rebuke/foil player efforts to ensure preplay character conception/Power Fantasy gets mapped onto play.

EDIT: An easy short-hand might be that Neotrad play and Story Now play might both look like sparring in form (grappling or striking). However, the first is overhwhelmingly (or totally) choregraphed while the second is live.
Sooooo, Agon as we experienced it in play. Seems close on point one, but what do you think about point two? Players actually have a LOT of say in where things go in conflicts, how they resolve, but the GM does maintain a central framing responsibility, which makes me think THAT is the key differentiator. So neo-trad could then be interpreted as Narrativist play in which the players actively control elements of framing (maybe only in a negative sense).

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I think it becomes important if you have a system or some rule or what have you whose benefit isn't immediately clear.

Though, on the otherhand, if thats the case that could arguably be because the system or rule isn't actually all that good.

Sometimes you'll still get that just because the dynamics are subtle, but thats why we playtest and iterate.

Its like with my idea for systemic cultures and questing. As I presented it, what it'd do is pretty subtle, but as I've been working on integrating it, it becomes a lot more readily apparent whats going on.
The audience for the commentary is other designers and tinkerers. Games are complex systems, and understanding the thinking of a designer can be informative and illustrative.

A few examples I’ve seen:

kenada

Legend
Supporter
How do you prevent milling through tons of uninteresting play then? I feel like if you want a given trait to be manifest in play, build it into play! That gets us to the nut, which is what the MDA discussion turns on. That is how do you figure out what process of play arises given certain mechanics and aesthetics? There could be other questions, but that one feels pretty central.
I don’t think MDA (or DDE or other similar frameworks) will answer that directly. It’s a framework for reasoning about the process of designing a game. If a game is full of uninteresting play, and the dynamics suggest it should be full of action, then MDA would tell you to look at the mechanics as the source of your problems. What it won’t tell you is what the solution will be. That’s something the designer needs to figure out.

Sooooo, Agon as we experienced it in play. Seems close on point one, but what do you think about point two? Players actually have a LOT of say in where things go in conflicts, how they resolve, but the GM does maintain a central framing responsibility, which makes me think THAT is the key differentiator. So neo-trad could then be interpreted as Narrativist play in which the players actively control elements of framing (maybe only in a negative sense).

Agon is a very interesting case study on this subject (as is Tier 4 Blades in the Dark vs the earlier Tiers and the aforementioned D&D 4e). I'm just going to link to my post-mortem thoughts in pemerton's thread on the game so I don't have to rewrite. I think Agon's "difficulty dial" could trivially resolve my laments via the ways I mentioned in that thread. If we were to bin Agon into Neotrad rather than Story Now, it would definitely be in that difficulty curve and in the not-particularly-difficult gamification of it.

On your last sentence (bolded), I guess I would say in both Story Now and Neotrad play the players actively control elements of framing. However, there are differences and similarities in form, but the function is where the the two diverge:

FORM: Story Now players and Neotrad players both control elements of situation framing via PC build and possibly advencement scheme (eg answer this thematic/premise-based question in play and get currency/xp); this is the "signaling element (from player to GM or from system to player to GM)." However, while Story Now players only get situation-authoring input via kickers (frame this situation and then the GM plays the opposition via system-prescribed means) or via "GM asks questions and uses the answers", Neotrad players get rife/profound (perhaps nearing total or total...and this can either by systemitized or via social contract) access to ensure outcomes/consequences (or at least the scheme of them a la "forfeiture of low stakes outcomes for ensuring the attainment of high stakes outcomes") and map character conception onto play.

FUNCTION: The point of player input into situation-framing in both NeoTrad and Story Now play is to ensure player protagonism. However, where they diverge is that, in Story Now play its to ensure play is about the crucible of "PC motivations/goals being opposed aggressively by threats/dangers/antagonism" and then we discover how character, setting, and follow-on situation change by these collisions of opposing forces. Neotrad play is mostly or totally coalitional here and that comes via GM & player working in concert and/or system serving as a mediator for that coalition. The GM provides the metaplot and the player provides the character and those participants (possibly along with system) put in the work to ensure the dynamics of the crucible outlined above don't deface player conception of character (and possibly of metaplot...I think that is a case-by-case basis).

Agon is Story Now Lite...its as sufficiently lite/defanged that it teeters significantly away from the above mentioned crucible. Its like a cozy crucible! So not my jam really (again, I had fun...our game was fun...but I don't see myself running Agon again). Again, an easy fix for that is Strife level and changing Wrath to be like Divine Favor.

EDIT: I’m trivially convinced that Agon plays, and therefore is, Neotrad from the players’ side. So if that is your appraisal, you can take a 👍 from me.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I don’t think MDA (or DDE or other similar frameworks) will answer that directly. It’s a framework for reasoning about the process of designing a game. If a game is full of uninteresting play, and the dynamics suggest it should be full of action, then MDA would tell you to look at the mechanics as the source of your problems. What it won’t tell you is what the solution will be. That’s something the designer needs to figure out.
Baker's framework suggests that, in these circumstances, you should be looking to your currency rules (both the formal ones, and the informal components of system.)

How do you prevent milling through tons of uninteresting play then?

Don't design an uninteresting game. Kinda funny, but its more or less the answer. Or at least a answer, anyway.

Ive said before that games, even stripped down to their bare mechanics, should be compelling and fun.

Many times you'll still need some additional layers of content to make for a compelling experience, but conventional narratives aren't exactly crucial at this level, and examining how you can make the stripped game more fun pays dividends when you pull that more bespoke interesting stuff back in.

For example, rock/paper/scissors isn't terribly compelling, but as noted, the dynamic it produces is similar to a conventional narrative. You have an inciting incident, a rising tension, a climax, and a denouement (and even sequel bait).

So right off the bat, r/p/s doesn't need much to be more compelling, nor to provide a very rudimentary narrative through play. If we shift up to something like very basic Pokemon battles, adding an assumed constant damage (because status moves and all that is an even more advanced step) and then the Typing system, we get a form of RPS thats dramatically more compelling.

So much so its still satisfying even as an adult to just play Pokemon like when we were kids, just spamming our best attacks.

And thats all without considering any of the content trappings; the context that you're battling your science fiction/fantasy pets, which makes the overall dynamic, and the resulting narrative, that much more compelling.

And as we add more systems and content, that experience, and the narratives it produces, become that much more compelling. Competitive Pokemon is a lot of fun to watch as a result, as are Nuzlockes and Speed Runs and all that, and when done well, even authored narrative experiences are a compelling integration. Arceus, for example, does a really fine job of integrating the classic experience with a compelling, authored narrative. (Jurys out on if any of the mainline games did it too; I believe 5th gen was the popular one for that specifically)

Neither are conventional narratives, but they are really compelling, and become even more so with the meta narrative that often accompanies these games.

Hence why game streamers have such a consistent audience; they wouldn't be near as popular, nor have taken off like they have, without the fundamental dynamics being produced as a result of their persona interacting with either one really compelling game or, as is the case with most streamers, a whole bunch of them. The parasocial nature of Critical Role has been criticized, but a lot of that is also just the meta narrative of how their table interacts with the game of DND that Matt puts on, which is quite compelling in its own right.

That is how do you figure out what process of play arises given certain mechanics and aesthetics?

Thats what playtesting and iteration is for, and why design patterns are such a useful shorthand.

Which does make sense. In other art forms, a lot of the process is the back and forth of consumption and design. When drawing, you do have to step back and look at whats being depicted. When writing, you do have to step back and read what you wrote. And so on. Revisions then follow.

Games are consumed by playing them, ergo playtest and iterate on, "revise", what was designed.

This is also why its important to have other people do this.

For example, when I was working on my combat system, my original idea was only 1 Action per turn, period. That was because I wanted the system to be really punchy, while also being much more indepth with the Actions themselves.

However, playtesting revealed that none of the punch, for the high octane high fantasy combat being depicted was lost upon allowing a 2nd Action, and in turn that nothing was lost by allowing technically infinite Reactions. (Practically its not a thing, but in some circumstances itll work out that way). This also, in turn, worked well to maintain my original goal of emphasizing input randomness.

BUT, recently, as in the past few days, I got distracted with a side project on trying to adapt the system to a Gun Fu style of combat, which by its nature is a lot more punchy and fast paced an aesthetic than the already bonkers high fantasy stuff I've been doing, particularly given I'm aiming for a good 50-50 on Gun to Fu.

So for the Gun Fu adaptation, playtesting has me figuring I'll be going back to the 1 Action per Turn idea (as that did feel better in testing), and I'll use the additional die that gets rolled to build up a new mechanic, that'll be about basically setting up your next move, and the overall dynamic, when interlinked with Momentum, should be something that feels similar to Gun Fu as we know it from Movies, but is fully interactive.

As for why the two felt different, thats just a matter of what aesthetically each take is presenting. The "fiction" if you will. While the high fantasy combat I'm going for is already pretty bonkers compared to the typical (casual dragon suplexing and all that), something about it just works better with a slower pace, and hence, more Actions being thrown around.

I'd kind of liken that difference to being the difference between a fight in Pacific Rim and a fight in, say, Extraction. More weighty and deliberate versus lighter and chaotic.

Suffice to say theres no real objective standard. We can try to quantify these things but its a matter of taste as to whether or not its what we want. One could easily flip the two ideas, and say the weighty, deliberate system wants only 1 Action whole the lighter, chaotic take wants more, if they aren't so much concerned with Pacing as I am and are more interested in controlling for some other aspect.

Agon is a very interesting case study on this subject (as is Tier 4 Blades in the Dark vs the earlier Tiers and the aforementioned D&D 4e). I'm just going to link to my post-mortem thoughts in pemerton's thread on the game so I don't have to rewrite. I think Agon's "difficulty dial" could trivially resolve my laments via the ways I mentioned in that thread. If we were to bin Agon into Neotrad rather than Story Now, it would definitely be in that difficulty curve and in the not-particularly-difficult gamification of it.

On your last sentence (bolded), I guess I would say in both Story Now and Neotrad play the players actively control elements of framing. However, there are differences and similarities in form, but the function is where the the two diverge:

FORM: Story Now players and Neotrad players both control elements of situation framing via PC build and possibly advencement scheme (eg answer this thematic/premise-based question in play and get currency/xp); this is the "signaling element (from player to GM or from system to player to GM)." However, while Story Now players only get situation-authoring input via kickers (frame this situation and then the GM plays the opposition via system-prescribed means) or via "GM asks questions and uses the answers", Neotrad players get rife/profound (perhaps nearing total or total...and this can either by systemitized or via social contract) access to ensure outcomes/consequences (or at least the scheme of them a la "forfeiture of low stakes outcomes for ensuring the attainment of high stakes outcomes") and map character conception onto play.

FUNCTION: The point of player input into situation-framing in both NeoTrad and Story Now play is to ensure player protagonism. However, where they diverge is that, in Story Now play its to ensure play is about the crucible of "PC motivations/goals being opposed aggressively by threats/dangers/antagonism" and then we discover how character, setting, and follow-on situation change by these collisions of opposing forces. Neotrad play is mostly or totally coalitional here and that comes via GM & player working in concert and/or system serving as a mediator for that coalition. The GM provides the metaplot and the player provides the character and those participants (possibly along with system) put in the work to ensure the dynamics of the crucible outlined above don't deface player conception of character (and possibly of metaplot...I think that is a case-by-case basis).

Agon is Story Now Lite...its as sufficiently lite/defanged that it teeters significantly away from the above mentioned crucible. Its like a cozy crucible! So not my jam really (again, I had fun...our game was fun...but I don't see myself running Agon again). Again, an easy fix for that is Strife level and changing Wrath to be like Divine Favor.

EDIT: I’m trivially convinced that Agon plays, and therefore is, Neotrad from the players’ side. So if that is your appraisal, you can take a 👍 from me.
Well, Agon is also very circumscribed. The presentation of situations and overall nature of the PCs and the milieu is very narrow. That means the scope for, and need to, choreograph things is limited. So the divide between the two may be very narrow here. But overall I agree with your analysis of the key differences in the two agendas.

Thomas Shey

Legend
That probably helps as well, though I believe Paizo has used VP-based subsystems in their adventures. I never ran pre-written adventures when I ran PF2, so I don’t know how they were operationalized there or how people received them. I used it once in my home campaign for a convince conflict, which went okay (though my players did observe that it probably should have been run table-facing). I’m curious what the experiences of those here who have run Paizo’s adventures are with it, especially if they ran 4e and skill challenges in adventures.

Well, its not like they (and others, far as that goes) haven't used custom subsystems in adventures before when a specialized situation is at hand. There's a functional limit to how many subsystems a set of rules can support, but some situations, especially if they're important or liable to be frequent in some sorts of campaign situations, really kind of want something more formal than just making a skill roll. A subsystem constructor is a valuable tool for that (first place I saw this was in JAGS).

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Well, its not like they (and others, far as that goes) haven't used custom subsystems in adventures before when a specialized situation is at hand. There's a functional limit to how many subsystems a set of rules can support, but some situations, especially if they're important or liable to be frequent in some sorts of campaign situations, really kind of want something more formal than just making a skill roll. A subsystem constructor is a valuable tool for that (first place I saw this was in JAGS).
Sure. Being able to create your own VP-based encounters is useful. I generally like the VP subsystem. My question was more about how those instances played out in practice. I remember playing a 4e adventure once when we got to a skill challenge, and it felt pretty bad. We were supposed to clear a hallway or something. Maybe if the DM knew the techniques that @pemerton and others used, he could have done a better job, but he didn’t. Does PF2 suffer that problem, or do they feel more natural?

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Baker's framework suggests that, in these circumstances, you should be looking to your currency rules (both the formal ones, and the informal components of system.)
That could be one place to start. Another thing to consider might be whether the game is using zoom appropriately. Perhaps the game is spending too much time focusing on situations lacking any kind of action and needs to do a better job of putting characters into exciting situations, so the intended dynamic is satisfied.

Remove ads