A New "anti-D&D" Era

On that you might be surprised.

All I can give is an anecdote, but I think it's telling: through being online all the time and paying attention, teenage gamers [who are a) either the largest or second-largest RPG-playing cohort and b) the future of the game] were very much keeping up on what was going on with the OGL mess.

Likewise, all I've got is anecdote, but across five different gaming groups (the ones I'm in and the ones people I know are in) with people of varying ages (some roundabouts my age, some younger), it took about a week for people to even say something when they did, and not a single person said anything about moving away from D&D.

Too true. As a News Junkie and heavy internet user, as it is my job as well as my hobby, I stay on top of things. So I was right there day to day during the OGL fumbles. Yet, on the weekend I meet roughly fifty gamers at the Rec. And maybe two have heard of it...

The problem is the D&D omnipresence and the way people are with it. A typical non gamer has only heard of one RPG: D&D. So when you ask them if they want to play an RPG, the only thought they have is "D&D". Someone somewhere sometime mentioned to them D&D was a "good game". And they want to play that "good game". You can mention another game, but they will stay locked on "want to play D&D". Even if you can get them to play <whatever> they will mostly just sit there, say they are bored, and ask when we can all play D&D.

The vast majority of gamers have only ever played D&D. They don't want to hear about any other games. A bit worse are the other group of gamers that did "try" another game, but had some sort of bad experience. So, now they will never play another non D&D game because of that. Though, oddly, they can have endless bad D&D experiences and never want to give it up.

When I talk to non-gamers, I'll admit to just calling whatever game I'm playing "D&D" rather than trying to explain something like DCC RPG. As for times when I've suggested trying out different games, I've found a range of responses - some people will follow a good GM to whatever system, some people will balk at anything not-D&D (while I totally get that people want to play what they want to play, I think that trying out different games helps a person grow as a player and as a GM).

So, this thread is intended to be about whether we will see another explosion of innovation and experimentation in design and aesthetic like we saw in the 90s, and what that might look like. All speculation, I know,but probably less acrimonious than arguing about -- weirdly -- 4E in yet another unrelated thread.

In this sense it does seem like MCDM is leading the charge here. Matt has said they're trying to design a cinematic and tactical fantasy adventure TTRPG from first principles. So they've specifically discarded as much of the 1974 game as possible.

That said, I'm not sure what the hobby as a whole really wants. What I do know is that not only has WotC lost my attention due to how they've handled the licensing, they've also done horribly on nearly every published module since Dungeon of the Mad Mage. I've realized that I've been disappointed, frustrated, or aggravated by everything they've produced since 2018. Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is the lone exception, and it felt like it was two years out of date when it was published.

Worse, looking at the changes from OneD&D have been even more disappointing to me. I agree that the game needed some changes and nerfs, and I even agree with a lot of the design changes. But the overwhelming theme has been to make everything feel as unimpressive or as uninteresting as possible. I have never been as unexcited by D&D as I have been since the start of the OneD&D playtest. None of the new options taken as a whole really interest me. None of the classes feels like they can do something cool, let alone do something badass. I look at it and think, "This so boring and lifeless. I feel like they imagine I will be excited finding a purse of 50sp at level 7 by killing a bandit. What are they doing?"

I know some folks have suggested there may be less innovation rather than more as publishers throw themselves into 5E-alikes. Do I ever hope those folks are wrong! I want to see the next Deadlands or Earthdawn or Ars Magika or Fading Suns -- new ideas with new systems.

I think there are many who will go into 5e-alikes. Advanced 5e, Kobold Press's Project Black Flag, Iskandar, etc. Or D&D adjacents like Pathfinder 2e or 13th Age 2e (which is supposed to KS soon). The Kobold Press preview was very short, but it was more interesting than anything I've seen from WotC in years.

I wonder if Savage Worlds will attract people again. I really like the feel of the game and it is much broader now, but the mechanical cruft that was so suitable for Deadlands feels increasingly unappealing and cumbersome. Initiative in particular I really dislike, as it takes awhile to shuffle and nobody ever remembers the suit order. "Fast and furious" it ain't.

There are things with PbtA that I like, but myself and my table bounced off Dungeon World hard. Combat was very unsatisfying to us in ways that we didn't expect. PbtA just didn't feel right to us. BitD was similarly a bust. I think our table just fundamentally rejects the "Writer's Room" conceit. It's not what we want in a TTRPG. Which is odd because you'd think it would appeal to GMs, and my group is a table of GMs. Nope. We like wargaming, too, so we want that skirmish combat subgame. I wonder how many tables will similarly reject the PbtA/Evil Hat narrative game style.

I think my ideal game would be a blend of 13th Age class design, Savage Worlds/PbtA skills, and 4e D&D combat. And it can't be as crunchy as D&D 3.x or anything Pathfinder. My eyes cross when I see stuff like this. I don't want it to be so nuanced and prescriptive in an attempt to be comprehensive.

I know Monte Cook games and Green Ronin Publishing have been up to new stuff, too. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's something new from Chaosium. But increasingly these companies feel like an old guard. They grew out of the early 2000s or earlier, which is now longer ago than I like to contemplate. I guess I just feel like if they were going to take off, they would have.

FFG whole line feels dead. It feels like Embracer Group shoved everything TTRPG into Edge Studio and have left it to wither and die. Genesys might be interesting, but it must not be profitable enough for them.

There's still Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, and The One Ring, but I don't know that Cubicle 7 or Free League Publishing are looking to do anything new. Modiphius still looks like they're selling 2d20 under various licensed properties. Really wish they'd clean up Conan 2d20.

And the retro teams at Necrotic Gnome, Basic Fantasy, and Goodman Games look to be continuing to do the same thing. They're all at least somewhat backwards-looking being in the OSR market.

Up next for us to try is Worlds Without Number, which looks attractive as another D&D adjacent game, but I don't really like some of the OSR elements. It's what always turned me off Stars Without Number, too, which is stellar in design and presentation but just not what I'm looking for. I'm interested in cinematic, heroic fantasy. I don't want gritty realism or grim darkness. Or table gen the setting. I guess we'll see if it feels right or not.

I also still need to check out Lancer. It's not our usual fare, but it seems like it would be fun. I know nothing about the system, though.

Overall, then, I have no idea where we might see genuine innovation, then. One of the 5e-alikes might gain traction, but I don't see the kind of movement or passion to reinvent the wheel. Well, except for MCDM. Is it going to be them? Some unknown on Kickstarter? I don't know.

I'm just really unhappy with WotC's output. The OGL v1.1 might have lit the match, but they've been packing that powder keg for years now.

MGibster

Legend
What game would you recommend starting 3 year olds on to get them into the hobby?
Kult of course.

So choosing people who are pro Vampire in a documentary about the phenomenon of Vampire results in statements less reliable about why those people chose to play Vampire over D&D than your 32 year old memory of an experience that wasn't the one those people had?
Cherry picking your sources is always going to make your conclusions suspect. I honestly think we can end this particular tangent here. We're clearly not going to reach a mutually satisfactory conclusion.

dirtypool

Explorer
Cherry picking your sources is always going to make your conclusions suspect.
The players having issues with D&D in the 90's isn't a conclusion of the documentary, and thus is in no way suspect. I get that you now want to present as some serious academe rendering judgement on this documentary as lacking rigor because it does a thing you were unaware that documentary filmmakers routinely do, but while you're obsessing over that tree - you are missing the forest completely.

The documentary was brought up as a source for some people acknowledging that they began playing Vampire: The Masquerade out of a distaste for Dungeons & Dragons, something the OP categorically declared that no one had ever done. The remaining 87 minutes of the films run time is completely irrelevant to that point.

I honestly think we can end this particular tangent here. We're clearly not going to reach a mutually satisfactory conclusion.
You're correct that we will not reach a satisfactory conclusion, either because you are stuck on attacking the veracity of the documentary because of some propensity toward the pedantic or because you are deliberately turning it into some straw man to attack so that the conversation cannot be allowed to entertain the notion that yes there was an element of backlash against D&D in the 1990's and not solely in 2009 when Pathfinder launched as the OP had claimed.

Either end is completely unnecessary on your part.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So, this thread is intended to be about whether we will see another explosion of innovation and experimentation in design and aesthetic like we saw in the 90s, and what that might look like. All speculation, I know,but probably less acrimonious than arguing about -- weirdly -- 4E in yet another unrelated thread.

I know some folks have suggested there may be less innovation rather than more as publishers throw themselves into 5E-alikes. Do I ever hope those folks are wrong! I want to see the next Deadlands or Earthdawn or Ars Magika or Fading Suns -- new ideas with new systems.
I think part of the issue is that the companies you're talking about tended to be D&D-centric in their general tastes. The folks doing things truly different were already doing something different and were only minimally impacted by the OGL fiasco, especially if they didn't use the OGL for distribution purposes.

Companies that like D&D-style games will probably me more likely to stay generally close to it, even with their own games.

MGibster

Legend
You're correct that we will not reach a satisfactory conclusion, either because you are stuck on attacking the veracity of the documentary because of some propensity toward the pedantic or because you are deliberately turning it into some straw man to attack so that the conversation cannot be allowed to entertain the notion that yes there was an element of backlash against D&D in the 1990's and not solely in 2009 when Pathfinder launched as the OP had claimed.

Let it Go.JPG

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What game would you recommend starting 3 year olds on to get them into the hobby?
I started my youngest with Tails of Equestria. I don't love the system -- it really needs more die sizes between d12 and d20 -- but she instantly clicked with meeting the Mane 6 (you'd think she was meeting them in real life, given how excited she got).

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I started my youngest with Tails of Equestria. I don't love the system -- it really needs more die sizes between d12 and d20 -- but she instantly clicked with meeting the Mane 6 (you'd think she was meeting them in real life, given how excited she got).

How old was that?
For board/card games, we were doing Munchkin, Dungeon, Ascension and Smash-up when he was 7 1/2, but didn't start D&D (Moldvay) until around 9 1/2.

Remove ads