A new possible spell "Xavar’s Point Defense" anyone care to comment?

clawy

First Post
A new possible spell "Xavar’s Point Defense" anyone care to comment?

This is my first post on this forum. :)

Here is a new 3e DnD spell i cooked up, and hoping for any pointers.

Xavar’s Point Defense
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Effect: 2 or more disks of force
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)

This spell creates, mobile, transparent disks of force that hover 2 feet away for you. You create 2 disks and 1 extra for every 3 caster levels above caster level 3, to a maximum of 4. The disks continuously change color and are so transparent that is they do not interferer with your vision. You target one opponent for each disk and the magical guided disks tracks and intercept attacks from the designated opponent. Only one disk can be assigned to a given an opponent at a time. A disk provides you half cover (+4 AC) from the designated opponent and only that designated opponent. The disks do not provide cover against area effects. The disks move out of the way when you attack, thus they do not provide any cover to the target opponent. You can change or set the target of one disk once per round as a free action on your turn, you can do further changes as move-equivalent actions. You must be able to see the opponent when you designate a disk to a target. If a targeted opponent becomes impossible for you to track by visual means, the disk immediately stops tracking that opponent and hovers uselessly out of the way. You do not have to continuously look at the targeted opponents but must be able to see them if you do look in their direction. If something other that attacks by the targeted creatures would connect with the disks, the disks move out of its way. The disks also negate magic missiles attacks from the targeted creatures.
Since the disks provide you half cover from the designated opponents they cannot take attacks of opportunity against you. The cover does not stack with the shield spell.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Welcome to the boards!

I have to say it looks good to me. I'm usually very critical of new spells and feats, but I have nothign against this. Having it not stack with shield and last longer was a good idea, IMO.

Eraslin

First Post
I like it.

I like it, it has a good flavour -- I can just picturing the hovering disks zipping around intercepting attacks, and generally annoying the attacker.

A clarification question, though:

"You create 2 disks and 1 extra for every 3 caster levels above caster level 3, to a maximum of 4."
--Do you mean a total of 6 disks, maximum (4 extra disks). Or a total of 4 disks maximum (2 extra disks)?

I think I'll be stealing this one. :) Yoink!

-Eraslin

clawy

First Post
Yup I mean up to 4 disks. I am still playing with the wording to make it clearer and i will post an update. :) Thanks for the input.

clawy

First Post
Here is the updated version of my spell. Have fun with it and please read the bit on AoOs. And please any comments or pointers will be great!

---
Xavar’s Point Defense
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Effect: 2 or more disks of force
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)

This spell creates, mobile, transparent disks of force that hover 2 feet away for you. You create 2 disks and 1 extra for every 3 caster levels above caster level 3, to a maximum of 4 disks at one time. The disks continuously change color and are so transparent that they do not interferer with your vision. You assign one opponent to each disk and the magical guided disk tracks and intercepts attacks from that opponent. Only one disk can be assigned to any given an opponent at one time. A disk provides you with a +4 magical cover bonus to AC from the designated opponent and only that designated opponent. The disks are too small to provide any cover against area effects. The disks move out of the way when you attack, thus they do not provide any cover to the any opponents. The disks also avoid anything except attacks directed at you from the assigned opponents. When casting the spell you may assign targets for all the disks. You can then, on your turn, change or assign the target of one disk once per round as a free action, and any further changes as move-equivalent actions that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You must be aware and have line of sight to the opponent when you assign a disk to it. If an assigned opponent becomes impossible for you to track by visual means (opponent has total cover or concealment from you), the disk immediately stops tracking that opponent and hovers uselessly out of the way. The disks also intercept and negate magic missiles attacks directed at you from the assigned opponents.

Note: This spell only grants you a +4 magical cover bonus to AC against certain opponents, it does not provide you with half cover from any opponent; hence this spell does not stop attacks of opportunity against you. Also since cover bonuses to AC does not stack, this spell does not stack with the shield spell. The disks do not glow.
---

Someone on a message board commented to me that the shield spell does not prevent attacks of opportunity, but I check the official errata released by WotC for the PHB, checked the FAQ and found nothing related. I do not subscribe to Dragon magazine so I really have no official reference to back that up. I scanned the WotC message boards quite a bit and several people indicated that is it official. Well.. I eventually ended up on the errata page on http://www.d20reviews.com/ and that semi confirmed it for me. I quote this from that page:

---
PHB corrections since the official errata list was provided:
· Shield Spell: WotC's Sean Reynolds reveals changes to the wizard/sorcerer spell, shield. Errata: the shield spell provides a cover _bonus_, but does not actually provide cover. It's too powerful at 1st level if it actually provides cover. Sage Advice in Dragon #282 elaborates: The [shield] spell grants you a +7 cover bonus to Armor Class, not 75% cover as the spell description in the PH says.... A shield spell does not negate attacks of opportunity against the user.
---

Now while it may or may not be really official, it really does make sense. So use it or don’t use it. I have modified my spell to reflect that.

Xavar
a.k.a. Clawy
a.k.a. Coburt Jordaan

Remove ads