A Paid Trip to Spellhold [D&D 4e]

Voda Vosa

First Post
As the group gets closer, the captain turns, as does the giant of a dwarf.

"See tha' mate, e group 'f fresh water dogs. Whachar ya lookin' fer 'ere?"
says the captain regarding you, with a toothy grin in his face. The Half-orc had almost the same complexity than Chizz, but appears more old, and more strong; his muscles could be seen even under the thick leather armor and sailing uniform he wares: A long coat of blue and gold, just like the ship; a pair of trousers that ended inside his leather boots; and a black leather hat with a toothy skull on it.

The dwarf at his side smirks "Aye Captain. Me be think'n dis must be tha ones Fremach was goin' ta send." he says, crossing his hairy and sturdy arms in front of his naked chest, which was profusely populated and tattooed. The dwarf was bald, and had his beard braided in three braids.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Asterion

Asterion was never on such a populated city as Alkathla. The ship docked about a week ago, and Captain Kumar had been coming and going to the city to speak with some Fermach, a high rank wizard apparently, that was Kumar’s safe passing in the Amnian capital. Kumar, as young adventurer, had made enough contacts to have safe ports in almost every city. Either they owned him favors or Kumar had forged a relationship as Asterion forged metal; to endure the passing of time and protect the owner. The smart devil sent Asterion to look for the finest metals he could find in the markets of the city, apparently the captain was planning something. As the minotaur come and go to the market, always acompained by that dwarf, that hideous dwarf… Salmar was his name, and Asterion felt such a distaste for that creature, almost as much as for Kumar. Salmar was Kumar’s right hand and advisor. The dwarf was evil in the most pure sense, and although he appeared stupid, and his accent was strange and made him appear even more dumb, he hided a keen intelligence under his bald head. Most of the targets of the crew were suggested by Salmar, and Kumar always heard the dwarf’s advise. Salmar always pointed at small villages or fishermen town, where resistance was null and profits were worth the try.
And now Salmar had Asterion tided with a rope, in order to keep the guards at ease. More to the forger’s frustration! Now he would have to pretend to be a mule, and the dwarf the forger, such a hideous joke of destiny. But Asterion was smart too, he would not act bloodily. He will wait until the moment of righteous revenge arises.
As the bull and the dwarf shopped some valuables, a small man, perhaps an elf, hooded , approached Salmar. Apparently he knew him. They exchanged some words in a strange language Asterion had never heard before, and the dwarf rushed back to the ship with the stranger.
The elf, as Asterion saw later, was an old partner of Salmar, and the dwarf convinced Kumar to have him in the crew, since he was being pursed for killing some peasants and a bounty hunter in Baldur’s Gate.
Two days passed from those events. At this morning, Kumar entered the forge, with a piece of paper in his hands and a smile in his face. “There ya go bully, thi’n order from the High wizard Fremach ‘imself to allow ya free passing into tha city. Thank yar captain fer this. Now go look fer more ‘f those exotic metals we need. Oh, and find some slaves, or one or two recruits if ya can, we ‘re short o’ men fer this enterprise I have planned.” With that Kumar walked out.
What to do with this new freedom? Could he escape from his slavery on the ship? But then, how could Asterion bring justice over the Captain and his crew?
The minotaur decided to go buy the metals, and see if he could find someone to help him. Of course the town was scared to see the giant bull walk around the market, and he was intercepted by guards. But the papers Kumar had gave him made their magic, and the guards read them and let Asterion be.
As he shopped, a silent man approached…

Lochlan Rayner

The killed moved with grace, leaving almost no trail to follow; in the forests of the area, the murderer moved with incredible speed; even the creatures of the woods helped him to erase his tracks. But that wouldn’t stop Lochlan Rayner from attaining vengeance. He followed the tracks of the dog to the gates of Amn’s capital; the pearl of the Lands of Intrigue. There the guards told him that only an elf had entered the city that day. Clue number one: The killer was an elf…
The dirty beggar played Lochlan some tricks. First he infiltrated in the shadow thieves, and forced Lochlan to try and force the authorities to break into the guild of thieves’ lair. However, a band of adventurers had entered into the headquarters of the guild as the bounty hunter talked to the authorities, and had killed most of the shadowthieves. Lochlan delaminated the corpses but none of them was elf. He knew the killed was an elf. He also knew such a man would have never given simple adventurers the chance to kill him so easily.
So Lochlan wondered the city night and day searching for clues. One morning, he saw something unusual from his hiding spot: A dwarf with sailor clothes holding a hulking minotaur with a rope, buying metals at the market. And in that moment he saw him. The elf, moving like a cat among the people. He reached the dwarf and exchanged some words. The minotaur looked at the exchange, somehow surprised. After that, the trio moved away, and so Lochlan followed them. But the streets of Althkatla played the man a nasty trick, as the city is famous for: A small band of thieves attempted to finish his life. Although the thieves ended dead, Lochlan lost his prey.
But two days after that, a new chance raised: Lochlan spotted the minotaur, alone, trading in the market. He approached the bull quietly, somehow he felt he could trust the beastman.

OOC: And a bump for the others!!!

Velmont

First Post
"Yes, Fremach sent us." reply the shifter. "I'm not sure how many he told we would be, but a few have decided not to come finally, so it is only the three of us. My name is Cliff, follower of Ilmather. Anything we should know before we climb on your ship?"

Pyrex

First Post
Lochlan, Human Ardent 3

Lochlan walks up to the minotaur and introduces himself. "Excuse me sir. My name is Lochlan. Could I trouble you for a couple minutes of your time?

The Minotaur is taken aback at this man's politeness. No one had addressed Asterion with even a hint of dignity since the passing of his mentor, Boulder. Instantly, the Minotaur deems this man a friend.

He grumbles at first, trying to find the proper words that he should use to speak to this stranger.

"Aye, stranger. My name is Asterion, forgemaster of Captain Kumar's Iron Fang. What could I assist you with, Lochlan? I'm afraid I know precious little about this area."

Pyrex

First Post
"A couple of days ago I saw you with a dwarf. While the two of you were shopping in the market the dwarf had a discussion with an elf. I have business with the elf and I'm looking to find him."

Asterion's gruff exterior belies something...lonely about him. He seems only too happy to help.

"Aye, I've seen the one you mean. He went aboard with that dwarf. The captain has ordered me to find new deckhands for the ship. Perhaps you would like to come aboard to look for him?"

This human seems honest enough. Asterion sees little harm in allowing this potential friend a chance to investigate the mysterious elf.

[sblock=Asterion Quick Reference]
HP: 40/40 Surges: 12/12
AC: 21 Fort: 16 Ref: 13 Will: 15
[sblock=Powers]
Ferocity
Word of Shielding
Word of Diminishment

Goring Charge
Rune of Mending (2/2)
Flames of Purity
Word of the Blinding Shield
Immunizing Armor (Item)

Rune of the Unreliable Dawn
Shield of Sacrifice
Quick Weapon (Item)
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Taran

"Yes, Fremach sent us." reply the shifter. "I'm not sure how many he told we would be, but a few have decided not to come finally, so it is only the three of us. My name is Cliff, follower of Ilmather. Anything we should know before we climb on your ship?"

Taran waits for the man's answer and reaction before asking anything himself, his own thoughts still by his brother.

[sblock=OOC]

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Taran
Perception: 22 Insight: 15 Low-Light Vision
AC 18 Fortitude 14 Reflex 16 Will 17
Hit Points: 41/41 Bloodied: 20
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge: 10 Surges per day: 9/9
At-Will Powers: Wild Shape, Swarming Locusts, Grasping Claws, Flame Seed
Encounter Powers: Elven Accuracy, Cull the Herd
Daily Powers: Summon Giant Toad
[/sblock][/sblock]

Pyrex

First Post
Lochlan, Human Ardent 3

Lochlan pauses for a second, pondering how much to tell the minotaur, then nods.

"That would be most helpful. Do you suspect he'd be aboard now or would there be a better time to catch him? It would be best if he didn't know I was coming. He's a theif and a murderer, and I intend to bring him to justice."

The minotaur is interested by Lochlan's hatred for this evil elf.

"Yes, yes. He's aboard now. Come with me. I, too, have an interest in justice. Perhaps...if this man is as evil as you say...perhaps you would like to have a partner?"

Asterion gathers up the rare metals he'd purchased for his employers, then sets off toward the harbor with Lochlan in tow.

When they arrive at the port, Asterion does his best to get Lochlan onboard discretely and without arousing attention.

Remove ads