A Pirates Life (Swashbuckler base class and Dread Pirate PrC)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Bront said:
bump :)

I think people are waiting on this one.
I started the original swash thread, so I can't vote on that. Your modifications seem fine to me, so I'd vote YES for Bront's Swash.

Rystil Arden

First Post
+5 beyond Improved Disarm seems like a really high bonus on disarming. Other than that, seems good. Secret ballot stonegod? :lol:

Edit: Aww, the invisible vote is now visible :D

stonegod

Rystil Arden said:
+5 beyond Improved Disarm seems like a really high bonus on disarming. Other than that, seems good. Secret ballot stonegod? :lol:

Edit: Aww, the invisible vote is now visible :D
Yes, spelled "Lime" as "Line". :lol:

The extra bonus will assist against two handed weapons as they will gain an extra +4 (negated by Improved Disarm). My original alternate proposal had a graduated +3 total.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
Yes, spelled "Lime" as "Line". :lol:

The extra bonus will assist against two handed weapons as they will gain an extra +4 (negated by Improved Disarm). My original alternate proposal had a graduated +3 total.
It'll help against two-handers, but it will make disarming the smaller weapons pretty crazy. I'd rather give them a graduated +2 that stacks with Improved Disarm and then another special ability as well, to give more options and not force the Swashbuckler into the role of Disarmer through a large number of resources tied up in a crazy-high disarm bonus.

Bront

The man with the probe
It can only be done with Finesse weapons, which are inherantly at a disadvantage than most 2 handed weapons, and many of the disarming special weapons.

it also prevents them from being disarmed on the back end.

Given there are things that can't be disarmed, I don't see it as being too disgusting.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
It can only be done with Finesse weapons, which are inherantly at a disadvantage than most 2 handed weapons, and many of the disarming special weapons.

it also prevents them from being disarmed on the back end.

Given there are things that can't be disarmed, I don't see it as being too disgusting.
I don't see it as too disgusting--it probably isn't broken, it just represents too much of an investment of special powers for someone who doesn't want to ever disarm, I think. It would sort of be like if we took away the Fighter's choice of bonus feats at levels 1 and 2 and replaced them with three archery feats. The problem wouldn't be that it is overpowered, just that it forces every Fighter to play an archer or waste a lot of their investment in the class.

Oh, and by the way, Spiked Chain is a finesse weapon ;)

stonegod

Perhaps a "fighting style" choice similar to Ranger. If we go back to my proposed Swash changes, one would be Improved Disarm (and the bonus's Bront supposed), the other would be Spring Attack (with graduated increases to the dodge bonus or, if the dodge bonus AC seems to high [esp. with the other dodge bonus Swash gets], perhaps a + to hit?).

Thoughts?

Rystil Arden

First Post
We could try that, but it may be simpler to just take away 3 of the Disarm bonus and make two new abilities (perhaps +1 to AC while fighting defensively or +2 AC with full defense for one ability and the ability to Tumble without halving movement speed as the second?)

Remove ads