D&D 5E A Proper Ability Score Generation Preference Poll

What PC ability score generation method do you prefer?

• Pick any scores you want

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Point-buy of 27 ponts

Votes: 77 40.5%
  • Standard array only

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Default PHB: Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR standard array

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR point-buy (27 points & including standard array)

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • 4d6 drop lowest only

Votes: 19 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.3%

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Looks like this thread is turning into another "point buy vs. rolling for stats and why the one I don't like is bad" thread.

The signature of champions.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Looks like this thread is turning into another "point buy vs. rolling for stats and why the one I don't like is bad" thread.

The signature of champions.

Sadly true. Some people just can't seem to accept "we have different goals or preferences" when it comes to stat generation and take is as a personal affront when someone doesn't share their preference. :p

I haven't asked anyone to justify why they like rolling stats, but whenever I say I prefer point buy, someone always wants me to justify it, and then either take my reasons for preferring it as an attack on their preferred style or claim that those aren't the real reasons, but instead I have some sort of character flaw for preferring it. :hmm:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Maybe I'm misunderstand some of the last several post....

"Ability score matter less then RP and character story." "I don't like rolling ability scores because you can roll subpar scores (and "I" usually do) compared to others who rolled better."

So if what ability scores you have don't matter, why does the it matter if you roll or array or point buy?

It doesn't matter to me which one you prefer to use.

Why does it matter to you which one I prefer to use?

Yardiff

Adventurer
You're conflating different things. I'm not saying that ability scores don't matter, obviously they do. That's not the same thing as saying that ability scores define my character, or are the only thing that makes my character different and unique.

My character isn't defined by their ability scores but I do want to feel like an equal part of the team. I see no point in one person being a sidekick because they rolled low any more than I see a reason for someone else to be a superstar merely because they got lucky.

Why is it so important to you to have winners and losers in the dice rolling lottery?

I don't, I prefer ALL of the group to be superstars and generous stats generation methods are what I prefer for everyone. 27 point buy and standard array I don't consider generous.

Oofta

Legend
I don't, I prefer ALL of the group to be superstars and generous stats generation methods are what I prefer for everyone. 27 point buy and standard array I don't consider generous.

I get that. If I wanted higher ability scores I'd just give more points and let people buy higher values. However, when we did that with our first 5E campaign ... I dunno. The DM just had to crank up the difficulty.

But it's just a preference. We simply have different methodologies to ensure that people are roughly even. You prefer some randomization but overall super-high scores, I prefer point buy and more average-high than super-high.

Hussar

Legend

So, you're issue isn't with point buy, but, simply the limits place on 5e standard point buy?

Is that accurate? If, for example, the DM said everyone got a 32 point buy character with 18 astroturfing the upper limit, you'd be pretty happy right?

----

In an unrelated issue, I've seen the "all the characters are the same" argument dropped a bunch of times, but, I really don't get it. Sure, the numbers might be the same, but, they will be arranged differently. The only real difference here between point buy and die roll is the spread between top and bottom, but, as far as making all characters the same, I'm not really seeing it. The wizard will most likely have a higher Int than the Fighter. The fighter will likely have a higher Str than the rogue. So on and so forth. No two characters, even with standard array, are going to arrange their stats exactly the same.

Yardiff

Adventurer
So, you're issue isn't with point buy, but, simply the limits place on 5e standard point buy?

Is that accurate? If, for example, the DM said everyone got a 32 point buy character with 18 astroturfing the upper limit, you'd be pretty happy right?

Yes and no, 32 with 18 cap will still leave you with only a couple good stats and the rest poor since the 18 will cost more so just adding 5 points isnt enough.
And rolling is fun.

Yardiff

Adventurer
This is the way I see the differences between what you find exceptable stat wise and what I find exceptable. Array or 27 point buy allows your PCs to start the games as marines (a step above the common rabble), while I believe PCs should start the games as special focres (a step above the normal marine).

Last edited:

Yardiff

Adventurer
Like I've before, I like characters to have at least one 18, a couple 16-17s, several 14-15s, a few 12-13s, and hopefully only one 9-.

Remove ads