• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question about swords

Cedric

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
anyone know about angel forgery. They have something called techno wootz damascus. I cant tell if its really a good thing or a cheap ploy, has anyone gotten one of thier swords. they are quite expensive so they must be good, or they would be out of bussness, but i would like to hear some testomony.

here is a link.

http://www.angelsword.com/steel.php

thier swords sound awsome, but i dont like the look of alot of them...

They had a schism (falling out if you will), with a lot of the rest of the sword industry over their Techno Wootz Damascus. A few people on forums and in reviews were honest about what they thought of it, and Angel Forgery went off on them. (huge paraphrase there).

However, it had nothing to do with the quality of their steel...which is generally reported to be very good. It had to do with the terms they used in marketing their steel.

All in all, I've heard good things about their quality...so-so things about working with them.

Check out www.odinblades.com

The smith is John Lundemo, but I have NO idea what his backlog is like right now (you can bet he has one). Also...it'll run you some $$.

He uses the same 5160 Spring Steel that is popular with most other forges for western style swords.

Cedric

First Post
For those who are in the market for an economical sword, I would recommend looking up Angus Trim...

http://www.angustrimdirect.com/index.html

He makes excellent, "battle ready" swords, designed for cutting and regular use. However, he's not a smith, he doesn't forge blades (which takes quite awhile and costs a lot). He's a fabricator...an expert machinist. But his blades are largely considered to be among the best you can get your hands on for actual use.

One thing his swords aren't...is pretty. They can be beautiful in their simple grace, but beyond that, he doesn't dress them up.

However, Christian Fletcher at http://www.christianfletcher.com/Site/Welcome.html will take an Angus Trim sword and pretty it up for you.

If you want a good sword without the long wait time and high cost of going through a reputable Swordsmith...you can't go wrong with Angus Trim blades.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Cedric, Now those are some nice looking swords. Really cetches my artistic eye. That was my big beef with angel forge. The swords may be well crafted, but they look pritty ruddy, and i dont think many of them would feel good to hold. I cant find a price for oden blades though, but im gussing its around a few thousand?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Sword steel:

Somewhere around here I have a hard copy of a FASCINATING article from Scientific American (sometime in this century) about sword alloys.

A truly magnanimous sword collector donated a few of his antique swords for destructive (that's right-DESTRUCTIVE) analysis of the alloys used to make them in order to make comparisons to modern approximations of the old alloys.

What the scientists found was that what they initially thought were meaningless trace contaminants of something like 0.0028% Vanadium (just going from memory, so don't quote me) in the steel were actually vital for achieving the combination of flexibility, toughness, and holding an edge that the master crafted weapons had.

If I ever track down what I did with it, I'll post some more info...the Sci-Am issue info, at the very least.

Personally, though, if I had the opportunity (and ca$h) to have a custom sword made for me, I'd ask to have one made from meteoric nickel iron. I know its not the best stuff for the purpose, but it would be one hell of a cool looking blade- hard, too!

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
kigmatzomat said:
The use of a ricasso, an intentionally blunt section ahead of the cross guard, was common on many of the 2-handed swords.

"'Ricasso', Scoob?"
"Reah... Rablo Ricasso! Ree-heeheeheeheehee!"

-Hyp.

Cedric

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
Cedric, Now those are some nice looking swords. Really cetches my artistic eye. That was my big beef with angel forge. The swords may be well crafted, but they look pritty ruddy, and i dont think many of them would feel good to hold. I cant find a price for oden blades though, but im gussing its around a few thousand?

You can bet it'll be somewhere in that neighborhood or a bit more. But he does do excellent work. He's not the 'best'..but he is very, very good. And unfortunately, the best aren't really hireable, at least not for commission work unless you have enough $$ to convince them to take a job anyway.

Peter Johnsson - Swedish Smith who specializes in European style blades. He designed some swords for Albion Arms based on historical models. He doesn't make them for Albion Arms, just designed them...they still run in the $1000 - $3000 range. I have no idea what a Peter Johnsson sword would cost you if you could get him to make one. http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/johnsson/swords-museum.htm

Vince Evans - If you want a Viking Sword, this is the man to talk to. He also does Scottish, Chinese, Persian and Turkish swords. Absolutely beautiful, detailed work. Again though, not taking commissions currently. However, if you find him at a convention, he has blades for sale. Bring $$. http://www.arscives.com/vevans/viking.htm

Howard Clark - The best maker of katana blades alive and working, imo. I'm not 100% sure of current price, but I think a naked blade for an L6 Bainite Katana from Howard Clark will run you about $4000. Figure tacking on half again that much to get it polished and add fittings to it. What you'll have in the end is a katana that will absolutely rival for quality, any other katana ever made...and will look gorgeous. Howard owns Morgan Valley forge. http://www.mvforge.com/

Cedric

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Re: Sword steel:

Somewhere around here I have a hard copy of a FASCINATING article from Scientific American (sometime in this century) about sword alloys.

A truly magnanimous sword collector donated a few of his antique swords for destructive (that's right-DESTRUCTIVE) analysis of the alloys used to make them in order to make comparisons to modern approximations of the old alloys.

What the scientists found was that what they initially thought were meaningless trace contaminants of something like 0.0028% Vanadium (just going from memory, so don't quote me) in the steel were actually vital for achieving the combination of flexibility, toughness, and holding an edge that the master crafted weapons had.

If I ever track down what I did with it, I'll post some more info...the Sci-Am issue info, at the very least.

Personally, though, if I had the opportunity (and ca$h) to have a custom sword made for me, I'd ask to have one made from meteoric nickel iron. I know its not the best stuff for the purpose, but it would be one hell of a cool looking blade- hard, too!

Vanadium, (along with a few other trace elements like Molybdenum and Niobium) are carbide forming elements. Even in very small quantities they force the creation of carbide bands in the steel.

This "banding" creates a layered steel effect that disperses stress and makes the blade stronger while also contributing to the watered pattern of the steel. This banding from Vanadium impurities (and to a lesser extent Manganese impurities) was critical in the production of wootz Damascus steel blades.

However, it should be noted that non-Damascus european style blades could be of just as high quality, because they had better steel to start with (they did not rely on the vanadium impurities and 'banding'). The Damascene techniques (as well as the Japanese folding techniques) were both crutches designed to greatly improve the performance of inferior steel.

Cedric

EDIT: Anyone really interested in buying a sword that is "pattern welded" (also called Damascus, watered steel, etc). Should look into the work of Kevin Cashen. http://www.angelic.org/highlander/swd/cashenviking.jpg That's one sword of his and at the root of that page you can find contact info for him. Expect to spend mid 4 figures ($5000-ish).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads