• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question for publishers and web-monkeys

Del

First Post
This is just a query among friends, not meant to be spam.

I got a big promotion coming up "The e-Sprawl Christmas Offensive" which basically is a huge update on all my online services. One new promo I want to try is a push to promote immersive gaming web support design conducted by myself.

Here is an example from my personal biopunk line, a mock website in 2038: www.esprawl.com/bpg/cybernet

Here is my RL news portal which further shows what I do with interactive mapping: www.esprawl.com/dg

Here is a less developed steampunk site for my Machyna line, which though is immersive: http://www.esprawl.com/bpg/machyna

I can do any site like this, art and all, in a weekend. Do you think someone would pay 100 dollars for an immersive game support site? Am I undercutting myself or should I offer these services for a bit less?

Cathix

First Post
My opinion is this: if you're doing this service for friends or colleagues, negotiate a flat fee that won't have you mired in work for days for pennies. I generally charge a very reasonable flat fee for family, friends and coworkers re design and/or web work.

If a company hires you - charge hourly. Decide what your minimum is including consultation, look at national going rates, find a happy medium. For web design - which I rarely do because I don't use flash or javascript, though I still can make a very nice looking site - I charge 25 per hour. For graphic design or layout, 20 per hour. Some people will say those rates are very low, others will say they're high - you can get someone to do nearly anything in the graphics industry for 12 bucks an hour, but I wouldn't recommend it.

A hundred dollars is okay if these sites are taking you a few hours to put together. If it's more like 6 - 8 hours, rethink your pricing.

:) Good luck.

Del

First Post
Thank you for the vote of confidance. We are in the same boat; I don`t do Flash either and very little Java. Our rates are the same too, and I rarely get work as well.

My thoughts are this: web design is like the new complex life skill, such as driving or cooking. Everyone does it but some can do it for very high pay ... if they can find the work.

I might push the rate up for an Immersive Game Media Site up to 120 or 130. Still a bit low but I enjoy it so much that this won`t be a terrible hardship. Not to mention I`m not scared of working for a living.

Cathix

First Post
I have to say, I think you have a good work ethic, from the sound of your post.

I'm a graphic artist because I love the work. I started my career at the age of 29 and 5 years later it's still my favorite thing to do, besides writing. (Although writing is a million times more strenuous). I can work on a project 10 hours straight, if I'm left to my own devices. This makes making money a bit of a challenge, but I'm learning to not undersell myself.

In the end, however, I believe your enjoyment of the work will show. Your commitment to doing a job right will be remembered. You might be priced lower now, but building a reputation is a very important aspect of being a graphic artist, and people will remember your work. I think you have the right idea of how to price yourself. Again, best of luck - and I don't give up when things are slow. :)

Remove ads