A Quick Look At EN World's Demographics

I use Google Analytics to track this website's performance, and especially to get some insight into usage patterns and (anonymized aggregate) demographic data. Here's a quick look at the reports for the last month. I grabbed a few snapshots of total users, gender and age demographics, and location data by country. There are no great surprises: traffic is healthy (although this is by no means the best month so far this year - one month had over 450K unique active users), the percentage of female visitors is still terrible low - far too low - and the US is by far the largest single country of origin. That last item is interesting - the amount of non-US traffic has increased a lot across the board over the last couple of years, and while the US traffic has increased in terms of raw numbers, it has decreased by about 15% in terms of percentage share. In other words, there's lots of new traffic coming in from other countries.

I use Google Analytics to track this website's performance, and especially to get some insight into usage patterns and (anonymized aggregate) demographic data. Here's a quick look at the reports for the last month. I grabbed a few snapshots of total users, gender and age demographics, and location data by country. There are no great surprises: traffic is healthy (although this is by no means the best month so far this year - one month had over 450K unique active users), the percentage of female visitors is still terrible low - far too low - and the US is by far the largest single country of origin. That last item is interesting - the amount of non-US traffic has increased a lot across the board over the last couple of years, and while the US traffic has increased in terms of raw numbers, it has decreased by about 15% in terms of percentage share. In other words, there's lots of new traffic coming in from other countries.

demographics.jpg

countries.jpg

active.jpg

Fralex

Explorer
Lots of potential distortion, for many different reasons. My "gaming group" consists of 3.5 games running (one of them is irregular at best), and has 12 people across those games. 5 of those players are female. One of the females is a DM for one of the games. So do we break the curve?

I'd assert that we do not at all. Because of those 12 aforementioned players, I'm the only one who frequents EN world (I'm male). The others look at it, but usually only because I've linked them to a relevant article or discussion.

So I'm going to make a broad generalization here (I couldn't resist the pun). My experience is that the girls do not care about joining a larger community, or frequenting one, because they don't enjoy discussing the rules as much. In fact, they generally hate it (so much that we've had to specifically address it) when doing the typical "rules lawyers" activities. They want to play the game, make the jokes, and be with friends. They don't give a burned bra about hashing out the latest "sage advice" ranger preview. Again, this is data taken from my extremely small sample size, so your mileage may vary (and with many good reasons).

But, regardless of the reason, if more girls are playing the game... Why are they not here, and how do you entice them to participate more in the online/global community?
This is still a relatively small sample size, but my experiences seem to be similar. If I'm playing with friends, around half the players I end up with are women. Actually, I think we might've had a game once where MORE players were female than male, but I can't remember. And this is all in spite of being on a college campus with a terrible gender ratio.

But if I play a game at, say, an Adventurer's League bookstore, there tends to be no more than a couple women, spread across the entirety of tables. So yes, if this is any indication, many women do prefer the game to stay among familiar people. Again, small sample size, but so far nothing's contradicted you.

The rules thing, too, seems consistent with my experiences. I can't remember a time when a female player got on my nerves because they kept bringing up rules objections. There must be some exceptions, but it does feel like the urge to correct other people over minor details is more often found in guys. Again, this varies. I myself tend to play D&D more for the "make characters, be with friends, make and laugh at stupid jokes" side of things, as well as having a strong distaste for getting the most precise RAW interpretation and the arguments thereof.

It might not be a bad idea to provide a way to filter threads so you can easily separate the rules discussions from more laid-back threads for sharing entertaining campaign stories and player experiences, etc. It's a little discouraging when you're just hoping for some fun D&D-related discussion and a lot of the threads are tedious arguments about rules. If that's an opinion shared by many women gamers, too, it could certainly help even things out a little.

arjomanes

Explorer
Very interesting numbers. I wonder how well they reflect all D&D gamers, or just gamers who also frequent forums about gaming?

In my two D&D groups in Minneapolis (the 5e game I DM and the AD&D game I play in), there is close to a 2:3 ratio of women and men, nearly all fitting nicely in that 25-34 age demographic (with a handful of outliers in their late 30s/early 40s).

However, of the 20+ fairly regular players in both groups, only six of us read forums or blogs about gaming. There are five men (4 DMs/GMs, 1 player) and one woman (who also DMs an all-girl group). The other 15+ players don't visit forums at all, regardless of gender.

The players who visit rpg forums or blogs also all own rpg books (a few of us own dozens); the others are very happy to play, but don't invest in the hobby (aside from one player who bought a PHB for the group, but I keep it for him).

So, for our gaming group, the online forum visitors reflect these numbers almost exactly, but the representation of women in our actual gaming group is much higher than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's got my age and gender dead on target. It thinks I'm interested in Brazilian music and Chevrolet, though. I'm not.

While I've been fortunate enough to have female players in pretty much all of my current and recent groups (sometimes 50/50), I recognize that that's better than average.

In my totally anecdotal experience, the women who I've gamed with have generally been the significant others of male players. Also, without exception, they have been much more into the role-playing aspects than the number crunching technical aspects. Some of them are into graphic arts and design of various sorts.

None of them strike me as having the inclination to spend time debating the numerical power balance of various game options with strangers online. (Although I'm sure the online numbers are probably skewed.)

And thank goodness we have them. I never like running or playing in an all-male group. It just feels off-kilter to me.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
Lots of potential distortion, for many different reasons. My "gaming group" consists of 3.5 games running (one of them is irregular at best), and has 12 people across those games. 5 of those players are female. One of the females is a DM for one of the games. So do we break the curve?

I'd assert that we do not at all. Because of those 12 aforementioned players, I'm the only one who frequents EN world (I'm male). The others look at it, but usually only because I've linked them to a relevant article or discussion.

So I'm going to make a broad generalization here (I couldn't resist the pun). My experience is that the girls do not care about joining a larger community, or frequenting one, because they don't enjoy discussing the rules as much. In fact, they generally hate it (so much that we've had to specifically address it) when doing the typical "rules lawyers" activities. They want to play the game, make the jokes, and be with friends. They don't give a burned bra about hashing out the latest "sage advice" ranger preview. Again, this is data taken from my extremely small sample size, so your mileage may vary (and with many good reasons).

But, regardless of the reason, if more girls are playing the game... Why are they not here, and how do you entice them to participate more in the online/global community?
This. My experience has been the same. I am in 2 groups that total about 12 people, of that 12 only 4 are female. Of the 4 girls only one of them owns any books above and beyond the PHB/Core Rulebook for whatever game we are playing (and even her collection isn't very extensive). None of them are anything close to being what you would call a "rules lawyer". Also I am the only person over both groups, male or female, who regularly frequents online forums, the rest range from occasionally to not at all.

Regarding the larger issue of online forums usage, I remember reading a study a few years ago that WWE had hired an analysis firm to ascertain what percentage of their fanbase comprised of the so-called "Internet Wrestling Community", which is basically the hardcore wrestling fans that go online to discuss and dissect the product. The study came back that the IWC comprised of between 5 to 10% of their total fanbase. I would say this number is accurate of most things.

Manchu2

First Post
What percentage of the Germany and Italy origin do you think are US service-members and family stationed overseas (I am one in Italy)?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads