• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A quick survey of fellow DM's and DM's to be...

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I don't see why you could not teach beginning DMs, or help longtime players to take the plunge into DMing. Best of luck! :)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I don't see why you could not teach beginning DMs, or help longtime players to take the plunge into DMing. Best of luck! :)
The question is not weither the OP can teach but why the newbie DM would want to go to the OP to learn. What is on offer that cannot be picked up from the DMG, or other PRG rulebooks and/or D&D for Dummies and hundreds of blogs and websites.

TheNovaLord

First Post
you could try this. I did it way back, before the interweb existed, advertising in white dwarf and imagine magazine.....

I wrote campaign primers, and ongoing support, for other groups. Advice on how to run it and such., working on feedbak they sent on how a 'bit' went

Basically they sent in details of 'the party / characters and the sort of adventures they liked to do, then i wrote campaign bits / modules specifically tied to their abilities / likes etc.

The world has moved on a bit so dont know if it would still work. Used paper post , writing letters and either writing the material by hand or occassionally using a type writer!!!!

I called is scenarios unlimited iirc.

had about 5 respondents in total over a 18 month to 2 years till i went off to university. Worked quite well.

In this electronic age this may work better, or worse!!

Having time on my hands once more maybe i could ressurect this, though im sure thats thread-napping!!

Good luck to the OP anyways.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I know I wouldn't be interested in any of your services. Maybe if I was just beginning and your website or whatever was the only place I could find.

As for how much I would be willing to pay? $0
Sorry, there is alot, and I mean alot of free material out on the internet, and even without going the illegal download route.

For example: I've been DMing for 10 years, Playing for 20 (total). I have no published works(yet) and no proof that I'm as good as I think I am... and am writing adventures (Posibly a whole adventure path) and am going to be giving it all away for free on the internet. Why? Because nobody knows me.
Yes, I would love to get paid, but that will come when people know that I have the ability I claim.

avin

First Post
I had only a few sessions playing GURPS when two friends arrive at my home and said: "now you are DMing for us". They made their characters in something like an hour and I started to DM on the fly, with no experience and no preparation at all.

I don't really think that such service is necessaire.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
I'll admit I wouldn't be interested either. I started DMing a couple years ago and found a lot of really good resources out there already, between podcasts, websites, and emails like Roleplaying tips weekly. I didn't have any feeling that I needed more.

Mark

The question is not weither the OP can teach but why the newbie DM would want to go to the OP to learn.

But the answers being given are why the people giving the answers would not want to learn from him, and I do not believe many who are new DMs or not-yet-DMs are giving the answers. Many of us have learned, at least partially, how to DM from other DMs and other players. If not being told directly and for specific instances, then certainly by observing and absorbing. The challenge for the OP is to find enough people in his area who have interest in DMing at all, and then convince them that he can show them some things of value to them, which I believe he pisked up over time himself and has the professional demeanor to convey. The reason a potential student should give him the time of day is something a potential student already knows or can be helped to come to realize. I believe that sales and marketing of his skills will be the biggest challenge of this venture for the OP.

Mark

I'll admit I wouldn't be interested either. I started DMing a couple years ago and found a lot of really good resources out there already, between podcasts, websites, and emails like Roleplaying tips weekly. I didn't have any feeling that I needed more.

However, what if someone with less time and ability to surf the web and seek those resources wanted to learn to DM? Or even if they could on their own, what if someone could bring that person who has never DMed up to your current level of DMing in a handful of lessons? This would be useful.

It would seriously depend on your "style" of DMing also.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested. But with the right DM/instructor I would consider suggesting that my current DM for the 3.5 game I'm playing in check it out (he's a first-timer).

Mark

It would seriously depend on your "style" of DMing also.

I would hope the instructor could teach multiple styles of DMing and allow the student to take all of that has part of his learned bag of tricks. I think some games, even using the same system, require different approaches (capture the flag versus murder mystery, for instance). It is also true that some people are good at one style but not at others, though most could learn to be better, I believe. A good instructor should also be able to help a new DM use their own personal strengths to their best advantage at the table.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads