• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) A realization about Monster Crits and Death Saves

Stalker0

Legend
Here is Jeremy Crawford saying it, at 53:39:

Thanks for the link. A few thoughts:

I agree with the notion that the crit rolls interfere with the average damage rules that I myself use quite a bit. Now in theory they could just have put the average crit damage in the stat block and call it a day, but there is some change needed there.

He mentioned that the recharge ability is something the DM chooses when to use, but I will disagree strongly with that for one key reason....you don't roll recharge if you still have the ability. This means every round you aren't using your recharge abilities, you are losing the chance to get it again. That is a HEAVY penalty, so heavy that I think its drives the DM decision too much. If they really wanted it to work that way, than I should get a recharge roll every round no matter what, and I can gain "charges" that allows me to use the ability back to back.

Now recharge abilities are MUCH swinger than critical hit, but I could respect the notion that low CR monsters don't have them (to protect the low level characters from those spikes), but then higher level monsters are chalk full of them (as higher level characters should be able to take it). That notion makes sense to me.

Remove ads