D&D 5E A reptilian world?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
That would be the dragonborn.
Not according to the 5e Monster Manual.

But of course you can do whatever you want with your world.

half-dragon.jpg

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Birds are dinosaurs.

If we're including 'dinosaur' in definition of 'reptile', then birds are included by default
Sure, I know.

But if I'm looking to populate a world with reptilians, chickens and peacocks may not be the 1st thing that comes to mind, if at all really.

Except of course, Chromasaurs! (velociraptors with predator camouflage and some can cast color spray. They have lots of camo feathers, in my campaign.)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Sure, I know.

But if I'm looking to populate a world with reptilians, chickens and peacocks may not be the 1st thing that comes to mind, if at all really.

Except of course, Chromasaurs! (velociraptors with predator camouflage and some can cast color spray. They have lots of camo feathers, in my campaign.)
See Chromasaurs prove it, Aarakocra are obviously evolved Archaeopteryx

Birds are also more closely related to Crocodilians than Crocs are to Lizards, Snakes, Turtles or Tuatara

and if you’re willing to include Fish people and Amphibians then bird people should make the cut too

See Chromasaurs prove it, Aarakocra are obviously evolved Archaeopteryx

Birds are also more closely related to Crocodilians than Crocs are to Lizards, Snakes, Turtles or Tuatara

and if you’re willing to include Fish people and Amphibians then bird people should make the cut too
I know biologically it makes sense, but I still probably wouldn’t include them as part of my reptile world. But I haven’t given it much thought

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The World of Reptorth.

The Lizardmen are the dominant species and ruling caste of a large empire called Hiz. They are sophisticated. Excellent warriors, scholars, guildsmen, and a few mages who have learned spellcraft from the Dracos of Thair.

The empire of Hiz is home to the Lizard commoners, the Bullywugs who make up a large population of cannon fodder/soldiers, and Kobolds that mostly exist as the mining, engineering, and builder labor force. Also the celebrated craftsmen of the Grippli. Several Dragonborn and Yuan-ti merchants, religious scholars, and teachers from Thair enjoy good relations and free borders with Hiz and generations of Thair immigrants can be found across Hiz's territories and vice versa. Hiz' armies are legendary, with a robust air force of wyvern and pteradactyl riders, giant lizard-riding cavalry, and dinosaur-reliant heavy artillery and siege monsters. The land of Hiz is in a perpetual war with the Tyrant of Evriweer whose raiding parties and warbands wage battle against the borderlands of Hiz with some regularity.

Thair is home to the Dragon Pharoah (the extended royal pharoahic family are actual dragons of diverse colors) who rule over the Dragonborn -their soldiers, attendents, and bulk of the population. The Yuan-ti, who make up the religious caste of priestly magi, led by one of the royal family dragons. Lizardmen, Kobolds, Lizards and even the wicked denizens of Evriweer are to be found partaking of Thair's exotic markets, pleasures, extensive resources of knowledge, and enjoy the gladiatorial games. The Draco-god-king's well-known power and honor guard of Dragonborn sorcerer-knights keeps conflicts in the lush lands of Thair to a minimum.

The evil lands of Evriweer are a volcanic waste and extensive flaming desert controlled, nearly uncontested, by the Salamander servants of the devestation-breathing multi-headed demonic Pyrohydra, a mutant sibling of Thair's immortal dragon-pharoah, who seeks the conquest and subjugation of the rest of the world of Reptorth. FIrenewts and the near-mindless savage Troglodytes that inhabit the cavernous world beneath the volcanic wastes. They use Basilisks and giant wild drakes as their war beasts.

Remathilis

Legend
Yuanti would be an interesting race. That said, I'd use the pure blood stats, but add some of the snake features (snake heads, tails) for visual purposes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tortle dwarfs?
When I did a homebrew race of anthropomorphic snapping turtles, they were a cultural and mechanical amalgam of halflings and dwarves.

Keeping that in mind while expanding on the OP, though, I’d consider:

1) Anthro chameleons as some kind of shapeshifter.

2) Pseudodragons as Fey analogs

3) Wyverns to replace hobgoblins or the like

4) As I suggested for another person’s campaign years ago, largeish raptors/velociraptors (or moas) as replacements for horses.

5) make lizardmen more like crocodilians, with various subtypes

6) Anthro-Snakes replace elves, thematically, with the cultural divide between venomous and nonvenomous types, and anthro sea snakes living in the sea, of course.

7) anthro Monitor lizards become like giants

Last edited:

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
Personally, I would have kobolds as the gnomes equivalent, as they are rivals in the traditional D&D lore. I don't know which reptilian species would replace halflings, tho.

Remove ads