OD&D A request for advice

Which book should I get?

• Rules Cyclopedia

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Dark Dungeons

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Get both! It ain't my money you're spending

Votes: 7 28.0%

I am wanting to get a print on demand version of the Basic Rules, and am looking at either the Rules Cyclopedia or the Dark Dungeons retroclone.

What are the pros and cons for each book?

That is a good question. I have both on PDF, but I would like a hard copy of rules, because it is easier to read.

If the clone is faithful to the original rules, there may be an advantage from clearer presentation and such. I am thinking of the Old School Essentials books.
Bear in mind OSE is a clone of B/X. Rules Cyclopedia is a clone of BECMI (minus the immortals

There are some subtle differences between these versions of the classic games, but they are mostly compatible at the lower levels.

Both have slight caveats. Whilst Rules cyclopedia is a compilation, there were several significant areas of errata (such as magic user table and lack of clarity around combat) that haven’t been fixed and are not as clear compared to the individual BECMI books.

OSE is a fabulous representation of B/X and is complete. It also includes an option to add AD&D characters to the B/X framework. One personal critique of it is that it doesn’t necessarily explain how to play (as the original basic books). It is the cleaned up rules with little else. The severity of this depends on how comfortable you are with OSR play style compared to more modern incarnations. If you’re experienced, this means little consequence to you.

OSE also has the benefit of currently being in print, has an active community and a developer that produces amazing adventures for it.

I feel that whatever version, both benefit from getting the PDFs of the original booklets from Drivethru. Are those additional purchases necessary? Not at all. But I feel that those extras that provide further reading provide valuable insight and understanding into how both versions work and play.

Either way, you can’t go wrong with your choice. Both are fantastic and I highly recommend them

Last edited:

Is Dark Dungeons more of a retroclone of BECMI, or of the RC w/WotI?
Dark dungeons is a retro clone of the RC. Note though: unlike OSE, it’s not a 100% faithful to the source material (or near as can be with ambiguities in text). There is a whole list of tweaks and changes the developer openly talked about.

I’ve also listened to an old episode of the save or die podcast recently where they reviewed it. They did strongly criticise the layout of the book. Caveat: This review is about 7 years old now, so I don’t know if the print has been updated since then.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Rules Cyclopedia all the way.

Dark Dungeons is a cleaner presentation, but has a completely new, different, unnecessary, and challenging-to-convert combat system.

With the RC, you have tons and tons of published material (through OD&D, BECMI, AD&D 1 and 2, 3rd party stuff, etc) that is very easily compatible. Dark Dungeons adds a weird middle step of conversion to everything.

The RC also has guidelines for Immortal stuff, it just doesn't go all the way. In my own use that hasn't been an issue because it's never been even remotely relevant, but obviously campaigns differ.

Disclosure: I use the RC in my regular weekly game and have been for some time now (multiple years). Flip the math if you want (I did, and added 5e's dis/advantage mechanic to boot), but the book really has everything you need.

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
Rules Cyclopedia all the way.

Dark Dungeons is a cleaner presentation, but has a completely new, different, unnecessary, and challenging-to-convert combat system.

With the RC, you have tons and tons of published material (through OD&D, BECMI, AD&D 1 and 2, 3rd party stuff, etc) that is very easily compatible. Dark Dungeons adds a weird middle step of conversion to everything.

The RC also has guidelines for Immortal stuff, it just doesn't go all the way. In my own use that hasn't been an issue because it's never been even remotely relevant, but obviously campaigns differ.

Disclosure: I use the RC in my regular weekly game and have been for some time now (multiple years). Flip the math if you want (I did, and added 5e's dis/advantage mechanic to boot), but the book really has everything you need.
You know, I had totally forgotten about the convoluted attack system the DD author came up with . . .

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases