• Rules Cyclopedia

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Dark Dungeons

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Get both! It ain't my money you're spending

Votes: 7 28.0%

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I might be biased, since the RC was my introduction to dungeons and dragons so I voted for that. I think Dark Dungeons has tidied up some things, and I'm pretty sure the creator is working on a new edition with cleaned up domain rules but I think the RC still works really well as is.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
You know, I had totally forgotten about the convoluted attack system the DD author came up with . . .
It's so weird. I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't just switch to an ascending attack bonus/AC system.

I also wish I'd noticed that before I bought the hardcover. It was such a disappointment.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
Dark Dungeons calls itself a retroclone, but to be honest i think they changed too much to really hold that descriptor. I've only read through Dark Dungeons X, which includes content from Darker Dungeons, so I guess it's possible the original Dark Dungeons is more faithful.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
Is Dark Dungeons more of a retroclone of BECMI, or of the RC w/WotI?
I believe Dark Dungeons has its own take on Immortal level play that's neither I nor WotI.

OSE also has the benefit of currently being in print, has an active community and a developer that produces amazing adventures for it.
The print on demand Rules Cyclopedia are good quality, and not a bad price.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I am wanting to get a print on demand version of the Basic Rules, and am looking at either the Rules Cyclopedia or the Dark Dungeons retroclone.

What are the pros and cons for each book?

I'm going to make a slightly different suggestion.

1. Start with B/X. That's the Moldvay/Cook original.

($4.99 ea, total of $10!)

They are IMO superior to the later BECMI rules by a smidge, and are the best introduction to the game.

2. Later, if you want, get the Rules Cyclopedia. It's more of a reference than a how-to, but after you've played with B/X, it will make a lot more sense and provide expansive possibilities since it has the BECM (no I!) rules as well as certain material published in Gazeteers.

Enjoy!

I'm going to make a slightly different suggestion.

1. Start with B/X. That's the Moldvay/Cook original.

($4.99 ea, total of $10!)

They are IMO superior to the later BECMI rules by a smidge, and are the best introduction to the game.

2. Later, if you want, get the Rules Cyclopedia. It's more of a reference than a how-to, but after you've played with B/X, it will make a lot more sense and provide expansive possibilities since it has the BECM (no I!) rules as well as certain material published in Gazeteers.

Enjoy!
As it so happens, I have those rules in my possession, and had them printed out by Office Depot.

I actually prefer the Mentzer rules--which I also have in printed form (Basic and Expert only, so far). Another optiin I am considering is to have the remaining three rulesets printed out--the CMI part....

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Personally I'm not a fan of the way BECM and RC stretched progression over 36 levels.

I think it was a poorly thought out choice, which really only works for folks who play a TON, and expect to regularly play at high levels. For most of us, most of those levels are wasted space, and the poor Thief (already sadly weak in many regards in B/X) gets his abilities weakened and progression slowed, which definitely wasn't necessary or good. 36 levels also means slowed caster progression to those highest-level spells, and that the poor demihumans get completely left behind, whereas in B/X their level caps aren't SO onerous.

About the only rules choice BECM/RC made that I prefer over B/X was allowing magic users and elves to get new spells from scrolls and captured spellbooks, which has always been one of the most fun parts of wizard-type characters in D&D, in my opinion.

All that being said, my preference is very much for OSE, and I just house rule spell acquisition.

If you really like the 36 levels, though, I'd say go with the RC.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
As it so happens, I have those rules in my possession, and had them printed out by Office Depot.

I actually prefer the Mentzer rules--which I also have in printed form (Basic and Expert only, so far). Another optiin I am considering is to have the remaining three rulesets printed out--the CMI part....

I have never met anyone in RL who has played the Immortal rules, and only one person I remember on this forum says they tried it.

Eh ... it's .... um ... well ... it's not really D&D. Look, if you're comfortable with the Mentzer rules, just get the RC. It will have everything you need. The only real complaint I have about it is that, again, if you are brand new it's not a great introduction; it's more of the perfect reference/compilation.

But since you've already been exposed, it's the best resource around.

Good good. It’s truly an excellent book (and love mine despite the minor niggles I mention about it). You must update us with your impresssions.

If you enjoy it, I highly recommend getting a POD copy of creature catalog for even more beasties to throw at your players. It’s the perfect complement to the RC.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases