D&D (2024) A Revised Necromancer Subclass?

Aldarc

Legend
In a recent video, Jeremy Crawford revealed that the Necromancer subclass not only received low satisfaction ratings for its mechanics but also that the subclass does not get played much, suggesting deeper problems with the subclass. This is one reason why the Necromancer subclass won't be included in the new PHB. So what would make the Necromancer worth playing? What are some practical, feasible solutions for improving the Necromancer subclass to boost its popularity and satisfaction levels?

Horwath

Legend
In a recent video, Jeremy Crawford revealed that the Necromancer subclass not only received low satisfaction ratings for its mechanics but also that the subclass does not get played much, suggesting deeper problems with the subclass. This is one reason why the Necromancer subclass won't be included in the new PHB. So what would make the Necromancer worth playing? What are some practical, feasible solutions for improving the Necromancer subclass to boost its popularity and satisfaction levels?
Summon undead(and all summon X spells) should count number of attack as half spell level, round up and not down so spells gets a boost when they are 3rd level(tier 2 of play), 5th level(max for half casters) and 9th level(highest spell level)

Necromancer should focus more on Summon undead and not Animate dead to prevent map/action clutter.

At 3rd level, it should get Summon undead as a bonus spell and that spell counts a level higher than spell slot used.
Also it should last permanently and no Concentration but with a limit that you can only have one Summon undead active at a time.
Casting it again removes the current summon.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Most of the Wizard Subclasses weren't particularly popular, largely because the statistics were split 8 ways from the start of the 2014 PHB.

The main problem with the Necromancer is that it doesn't feel like a Necromancer until level 6. When you get improved undead minions. And even then the mechanic is running off the back of the Animate Dead spell, which is kind of a problem in play due to hauling around a ton of corpses and being flanked by multiple zombies/skeletons all the time.

The solution? Let them have a singular, customizable undead pet when you get the subclass, with a scaling stat block. Your own Frankenstein's Monster if you will. Just graft different undead parts onto it for different effects. And for backup, let them use Summon Undead instead of Animate Dead.

The Necromancer subclass is just bad before it starts to be an actual necromancer, and really annoying after it does. Part of the problem is the "necromancy" school, part the subclass, and part which class they gave the necromancer to.

Starting with the Necromancy school in the PHB there are a grand total of two first level wizard necromancy spells, three second level, and three third (plus Speak with Dead which got added to the wizard list with Tasha's), one fourth level, and zero fifth level. That is ... very slim pickings. In addition to this the first spell that actually gets necromancers dealing with the dead is Animate Dead as a third level spell (alongside Speak With Dead); before that it's basically all generic "dark wizard" stuff. That's a long apprenticeship and not very much necromancy in your necromancer; you'd be better off playing a cleric of the death domain.

The necromancer subclass is ... not good.
  • Level 2: Grim Harvest. Cool, a defensive buff to make your "dark evokers" tougher. There are no damaging level 1 or level 2 wizard necromancy spells other than Strixhaven's Wither and Bloom - and third level only gives you Vampiric Touch (and technically I suppose the life transference). So you get better cantrips and evocations?
  • Level 6: Undead Thralls. Actual Necromancy! Yay! You get better skeleton warriors - but using all those warriors is a slow faff and they are incredibly vulnerable to frustrated DMs casually AoEing them. It's "white room powerful" but just lets you have a retinue of chaff
  • Level 10: Inured to Undeath. I'm not calling resistance to necrotic and immunity to level drain hp maximum reduction actively bad. Just something that's both passive and very situational; you can go entire adventures with it never coming up. It's bland.
  • Level 14: Command Undead. Again this is adventure-specific. I'm not calling countering enemy necromancers bad - but I'm saying that you can go entire adventures and never use this.
The only real ability worth talking about there is Undead Thralls. And walking around with a collection of undead thralls can get annoying.

So the wizard has a bad spell list for necromancy - and wizards can't expand their spell list (outside Matt Mercer's dunamancy) because of the core class fantasy of doing everything; everyone would get the spells. The cleric simply has a better necromancy spell list, and yes necromancers should get spells like revivify.

So how would I do a necromancer? I'd give the subclass to the Sorcerer, Tasha's style. A necromancer sorcerer:
  • Gets to learn necromancy spells from any spell list. Yes, we have a sorcerer who can't heal but can revivify.
  • Gets most of their bonus spells plucked from the conjuration list, not the necromancy list but they count as necromancy for the wizard; spells like Unseen Servant and Phantom Steed (and even Mage Armour) count as Necromancy for the Necromancer
  • Our version of Grim Harvest can then be tied to metamagic; the turn after they kill someone a necromancer can metamagic a necromancy spell for one spell point less.
  • Necromancy ritual spells last double their normal duration if cast using a corpse or bones (e.g. Phantom Steed with a dead horse or a horse skeleton); one set of bones may only empower one spell at a time.
  • Necromancers get a permanent pet rather than lots of undead cluttering up the battlefield
  • They also get to play games with the Soul Cage spell

Aldarc

Legend
So how would I do a necromancer? I'd give the subclass to the Sorcerer, Tasha's style. A necromancer sorcerer:
  • Gets to learn necromancy spells from any spell list. Yes, we have a sorcerer who can't heal but can revivify.
  • Gets most of their bonus spells plucked from the conjuration list, not the necromancy list but they count as necromancy for the wizard; spells like Unseen Servant and Phantom Steed (and even Mage Armour) count as Necromancy for the Necromancer
  • Our version of Grim Harvest can then be tied to metamagic; the turn after they kill someone a necromancer can metamagic a necromancy spell for one spell point less.
  • Necromancy ritual spells last double their normal duration if cast using a corpse or bones (e.g. Phantom Steed with a dead horse or a horse skeleton); one set of bones may only empower one spell at a time.
  • Necromancers get a permanent pet rather than lots of undead cluttering up the battlefield
  • They also get to play games with the Soul Cage spell
No offense, but this is where I think that you jumped the shark with your argument. Realistically, the Necromancer will remain a wizard subclass, so I think that any solution proposed needs to keep that limitation in mind. So moving the necromancer to the sorcerer is a "solution" that would be killed instantly in its tracks by WotC.

Horwath

Legend
No offense, but this is where I think that you jumped the shark with your argument. Realistically, the Necromancer will remain a wizard subclass, so I think that any solution proposed needs to keep that limitation in mind. So moving the necromancer to the sorcerer is a "solution" that would be killed instantly in its tracks by WotC.
I see zero problems in having a necromancer a general fullcaster subclass.
But, we cannot have it as wotc backtracked on unified subclass levels for all classes because of "muh compatibilitah" with 2014 version.

Why do you think putting out what I see as the best solution thematically and mechanically as "jumping the shark"? Rather than simply not giving up before I've started - and even if a wizard version comes out it can take inspiration.

Also WotC would never put that out in the PHB - but there is absolutely precedent for WotC to put out a non-wizard necromancy themed subclass (Undead Warlock) and even a charisma based spontaneous casting necromantic class (Dread Necromancer from 3.5).

If WotC can't get the wizard necromancer working in the PHB (and they can't) more opens up for future books.

WoTC could always follow Kobold Press' lead and create something like the White Necromancer subclass.

White Necromancer – 5th Edition SRD

Or maybe the Necromancer could be more like Endless Realms' Animancer and have powers over both life and death.

Keepers of Balance

Live, grow, die, decay—such is the natural cycle of all things. Animancers wield the energies of Life and Death, maintaining a balance of the two lest they become cursed by the very source of their power. They can deal immense damage as well as heal their allies, making them unpredictable in combat. Their practice is taboo in most cultures, and they tend to make enemies with Shrine Keepers due to their divergent views on what it means to respect the ethereal. Animancers have Silean origins, however, and thus are welcomed among most Silean tribes in Lumis.

An Animancer who over-indulges in Death Energy will receive more damage and eventually be immune to healing Life Energy, whereas an Animancer who does not balance their use of Life Energy with Death Energy will little by little lose their ability to move and fight against their enemies. Those who take the risk of practicing Death and Life Magic must always be vigilant and make sure that they maintain balance between the two opposing forces.

Play Style: Animus Energy allows Animancers to cast both spells that harm and spells that heal. Animancers use Death Energy to strike their victims with magical diseases, manipulate the dead, and deal damage using their own blood. They can use Life Energy to extract dangerous toxins from the blood, shield their allies, and even bring the dead back to life.

Nothing like being on a power trip... 😋

Aldarc

Legend
Why do you think putting out what I see as the best solution thematically and mechanically as "jumping the shark"? Rather than simply not giving up before I've started - and even if a wizard version comes out it can take inspiration.
Because the premise of the thread is how WotC can improve the Necromancer wizard subclass for the D&D 2024 edition through feasible, practical solutions rather than just pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking. Your "best solution" jumps the sharks, IMHO, because it jumps from diagnosing the problem to an incredibly implausible solution that makes the wizard subclass into a sorcerer one. There's no snowball's chance in the Nine Hells that WotC will even consider that to be a solution.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Necromancer doesn't get played much probably because most players still see it as an "evil" character subclass. And there's no way most tables will try and reconcile that. They'll just leave the subclass by the wayside.

Now if you changed the name of the subclass to 'Biomancer' or 'Animancer' and really made it about the circle of life and death, you might get more play on it. But 'Necromancers' are just really bad people as far as most players are concerned, and they aren't going to play them. They're villains, not PCs. And no amount of mechanical benefits will change that.

Remove ads