• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A running list of questions from a new player/new DM. Other n00bs please feel free to add in.

aramis erak

Legend
How about a multiclassed druid/any class that gets extra attack? Meaning how would extra attack function in wild shape, especially considering multiattacks in forms?

Extra Attacks don't stack across classes; only the best class's version is used. To get multiattack for 3 attacks, you MUST have fighter 11, or higher. 3x level 5's still only gets you ONE extra attack, for two attacks per attack action. See PHB, p 164. (The Warlock invocation Thirsting Blade also doesn't stack with extra attack.)

PnPgamer

Explorer
Extra Attacks don't stack across classes; only the best class's version is used. To get multiattack for 3 attacks, you MUST have fighter 11, or higher. 3x level 5's still only gets you ONE extra attack, for two attacks per attack action. See PHB, p 164. (The Warlock invocation Thirsting Blade also doesn't stack with extra attack.)
I meant if i have extra attack once from like barbarian, then i am a multiclassed druid, and wild shape into a blackbear,which has mutliattack capabilities. How does extra attack function with wild shaped druid in bear form using multiattack?

aramis erak

Legend
I meant if i have extra attack once from like barbarian, then i am a multiclassed druid, and wild shape into a blackbear,which has mutliattack capabilities. How does extra attack function with wild shaped druid in bear form using multiattack?

it probably doesn't. A fighter 11/Druid 3 would get a 3rd attack when in bear, as I read it.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer

Extra attacks do not stack. Also, physical capabilities of your natural form do not apply to alternate forms. The bear just gets its normal bear attacks.

aramis erak

Legend
Extra attacks do not stack. Also, physical capabilities of your natural form do not apply to alternate forms. The bear just gets its normal bear attacks.

Wildshape states that it doesn't replace your class features. Multiple Attacks are class features. In the case of the bear, it's already got 2 attacks, so you'd have to have three from class features to be better.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Wildshape states that it doesn't replace your class features. Multiple Attacks are class features. In the case of the bear, it's already got 2 attacks, so you'd have to have three from class features to be better.

But that would mean that it is possible to gain extra attack using wild shape with single attack? Ie wolf biting twice?

guachi

Hero
Your extra attacks, as described, are not actually an "extra attack" in the sense that you get one more attack than you previously had. The fighter, for instance, under "Extra Attack" says you can attack twice on your turn. It seems carefully worded.

painted_klown

First Post
Thank you to all who are participating ITT. I am learning, not only from my own questions, but from the questions of others as well. I appreciate all who are asking, and answering questions posted here. :)

I have another kind of random question really, and it's one that was spawned when reading another thread.

On average, how often do PCs roll up new characters?

Is it done with each new adventure module?

I assume when you are running a continuing story line, such as Tyranny of Dragons that spans two books (Hoard of the Dragon Queen and The Rise of Tiamat) then they would roll up a character when starting HotDQ and continue to use that same character for all of TRoT when HoTtDQ has been completed. Does TRoT assume your characters have been leveled up from already playing through HotDQ?

What about the modules that continue a story such as Scourge of the Sword Coast being part 1 of Dreams of the Red Wizards, then Dead in Thay being part 2? Do PCs roll up new characters at the start of SotSC, then continue with those same characters (with their gold, exp, levels, items, etc) already gained when they move onto Dead in Thay?

The same for Murder in Baldur's Gate into Legacy of the Crystal Shard. Since these are parts 1 & 2 of the Sundering Adventure, are these designed to be played back to back with the same characters, or do all of these adventures & modules act as stand alone stories/adventures that assume you will have rolled up new characters?

I am still not 100% sure how Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle and Vault of the Dracolich fit into these story lines, to be honest. :confused:

Essentially, I am just curious about the continuity of the game, and how WOTC assumes everyone will approach it.

Last edited:

pkt77242

Explorer
Thank you to all who are participating ITT. I am learning, not only from my own questions, but from the questions of others as well. I appreciate all who are asking, and answering questions posted here. :)

I have another kind of random question really, and it's one that was spawned when reading another thread.

On average, how often do PCs roll up new characters?

Is it done with each new adventure module?

I assume when you are running a continuing story line, such as Tyranny of Dragons that spans two books (Hoard of the Dragon Queen and The Rise of Tiamat) then they would roll up a character when starting HotDQ and continue to use that same character for all of TRoT when HoTtDQ has been completed. Does TRoT assume your characters have been leveled up from already playing through HotDQ?

What about the modules that continue a story such as Scourge of the Sword Coast being part 1 of Dreams of the Red Wizards, then Dead in Thay being part 2? Do PCs roll up new characters at the start of SotSC, then continue with those same characters (with their gold, exp, levels, items, etc) already gained when they move onto Dead in Thay?

The same for Murder in Baldur's Gate into Legacy of the Crystal Shard. Since these are parts 1 & 2 of the Sundering Adventure, are these designed to be played back to back with the same characters, or do all of these adventures & modules act as stand alone stories/adventures that assume you will have rolled up new characters?

I am still not 100% sure how Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle and Vault of the Dracolich fit into these story lines, to be honest. :confused:

Essentially, I am just curious about the continuity of the game, and how WOTC assumes everyone will approach it.

How often new characters are created is up to the group. Some groups will take characters from level 1 to level 20+ and some groups rarely get past level 10 before creating new characters and starting a new campaign. Now if you are doing a story arc like Tyranny of Dragons then I would expect that most groups would keep the same characters across the whole story arc (exception being when a character dies). Hopefully that answers your question.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads