Level Up (A5E) A Scheme for Planar Resistances

Xaielao

Explorer
Interestingly perhaps, I use numerical based resistances/weaknesses, like 3.5e's DR/SR or more closely PF2e's resistanc/weakness system. As an example, a simple skeleton guard (equivalent of a CR 1/4 skeleton in A5e) has resistance to slashing 5, piercing 5. Meaning it takes 5 less damage from those sources and full damage from bludgeoning. If it had bludgeoning weakness it'd be 'bludgeoning 5', meaning it'd take bludgeoning weapon damage + 5.

I've always found 5e's system to be too generic and rare, it hardly even comes into play. Not to mention the annoyance of 'nonmagical physical damage resistance' on every creature in existence past like level 3 accept (some) humanoids & animals. A5e goes a step forward, making resistances/weaknesses more common and deep. So my house rule is simple, creatures with weaknesses or resistances have a number attached. As low as 1 or 2 at the low end (Skeleton has Weakness: Bludgeoning 2), to 10-20 at the high end.

So having an idea of what resistances elementals are likely to have is a keen idea for me, as I'll be adding this customization to many of the enemies I run. I think I mostly agree with the OP, I think I'd go with

So I think my elemental baseline would be:
Air - thunder Death - necrotic
Earth - lightning Fire - fire
Life - poison* Space - radiant
Time - force* Water - cold

*Until we get a 'bleed' damage type like PF2e has that is lol. As to Time, I think force is the best choice but frankly it doesn't exactly fit because in 5e force damage is basically 'magical bludgeoning'.

A point to recall during this discussion: Space, in this context, isn’t Outer Space. It’s Space as in distance. Not accusing anyone of misunderstanding, but I wanted to clarify for posterity
good point, thank you for that. My star trek innundated mind defaulted to the outer version

Adding damage types is difficult. You’d have to update so many monsters, etc. I don’t think it’s something we’d do. And that’s one of those core changes which dilutes compatibility—O5E monsters aren’t written with another damage type in mind.
I thought that since VC if for Sci-fi, and since offical 5e Sci-fi material is pretty much non existent, compatibility wouldn't be a major deal.
But then of course it depends if you want to have an entirely different bestiary or not.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought that since VC if for Sci-fi, and since offical 5e Sci-fi material is pretty much non existent, compatibility wouldn't be a major deal.
But then of course it depends if you want to have an entirely different bestiary or not.
We want to maintain compatibility so you can cross-use any material. Put Vecna in a starship, if you want.

Remove ads