A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

AGFlynn

Visitor
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 3 (HP:34 AC:15)

Rae ArdGaoth said:
OOC: Hmm... very interesting. I understand what Cludge is trying to do, but unfortunately for "Kitty" it's a lose-lose-lose scenario for him. As Cludge's "best friend", it seems unlikely to me that the dwarf would want to push the lamia down to the ground or force it to provoke AoO from all the people around it. I'll allow it, since Cludge is mighty confused, but I don't think he should continue this behavior next round.

OOC: Fair enough and I expected Cludge would be the one going prone. He wasn't trying to tackle the Lamia per se, rather to shield it from blows and I couldn't think of another way to do that other than entering its space. He's now tried everything his limited Wis and Int can come up with. Didn't expect the charm would be broken either.

Cludge reaches for Kitty and falls *plonk* on his face at the creature's feet. Spitting sand and spluttering, he rolls away from the lamia (Crawl 5' back to his starting space) and stands up (move action, provokes AoO).
 

Phoenix8008

Visitor
Kurgahz- M Half-Orc Cleric 2 (AC: 15, HP: 18/18)

The gigantic Kurgahz steps back five feet while yelling at Cludge, "Dammit Cludge! If ya ain't gonna help us kill this critter that's obviously messed with 'yer head, then get the heck away before I pound you into the sand myself!" Making a few threatening gestures and speaking a gutteral word of magic, Kurgahz casts Cause Fear at Cludge hoping to frighten him into getting out of everyone's way.

OOC: Cludge needs to make a Will save DC 14 or be frightened and flee in fear for 1d4 rounds. If he makes it, he is shaken for 1 round instead.
 

AGFlynn

Visitor
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 3 (HP:34 AC:15)

OOC: Good move. But, alas, of all the saves I would have liked to have seen him fail, this ain't one of them. But now that he's shaken his Will save drops to -3, so now's the time to hit him with those types of spells.

Cludge gazes at Kurghaz in astonishment and a brief flicker of terror passes over his face, quickly turning to rage (Will save 14)
I'd like ta see ya try it, ya big green galoot! he yells. Why don't ya stop beatin' on defenceless desert creachures and come knock on some one yer own size!
 
Last edited:
(OOC: Lasair could have Suggestioned Cludge at any time, but she doesn't want to waste her round like Kurghaz did, so another Ego Whip!

Oh, and I just realised that Cludge actually made his Will Save against Charm Monster all that time ago due to his Dwarven +2 bonus against magic still failed by 1 because Rae remembered that bonus, darn. You should still really put that on your sheet in parentheses; it's easy to forget)
 
Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Visitor
OOC: Not sure, but I think there's some rule about intentionally failing any roll. Can somebody confirm that? (It wouldn't apply in this case, because while AGFlynn might want Cludge to flee in fear, Cludge certainly doesn't.)
 

Rae ArdGaoth

Visitor
Round 9: 11:45:48 AM

Cludge rolls over and groggily stands up.

Shadya slashes, coming so close to the creature, but it weaves and dodges even as it cries.

Kurgahz tries to scare Cludge away, but fails.

Conuld swings his staff around, the creature ignores his attempts at distraction.

The creature continues to stand, trapped by indecision.

Lasair hits it again with her ego whip. One final time, the creature's brow wrinkles in frustration as it is reminded of its weakest moments. Suddenly, it yelps! With a gasp, it falls to the ground, spasms for a moment, and then lays still. (failed save, 4 Cha damage)

End of Combat
Status

Cludge (1 WIS damage, 4 nonlethal damage)
Shadya
Kurgahz (enlarged at 11:45:06)
Conuld (Cat's Grace at 11:45:18)
Creature (37 damage, 13 CHA damage)
Lasair (11/35pp)


OOC: A natural 2. Not much better than a 1.
 
"It is done, just as with the ogre," Lasair says simply, "You can either restrain it or coup de grace it at your leisure. Cludge's altered state should last for a number of hours, but without the creature to make sinister suggestions, it should not be as much of a hindrance."
 

Trouvere

Visitor
"Kitty is sleeping now, Cludge. Let us tiptoe away and not wake her," says Conuld, shaking his head. "Sleep long, Kitty," he says, giving Kurgahz a meaningful glance.
 
(OOC: Wow, bringing away the NPC in question so that the half-orc Cleric can kill the Kitty/Doggy makes this almost an exact redux of a situation in Immortality Awakens, except that the Doggy was a Gray Render that had gone unconscious saving the party to protect its little girl ward, and they killed it anyway, whereas this Kitty is an evil lamia)
 

AGFlynn

Visitor
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 3 (HP:34 AC:15)

OOC: It's not evil, just misunderstood! By the way, I will be away on vacation for a week starting tomorrow and will not have Web access. Try not to get Cludge killed for me!

Cludge sags, a forlorn expression on his face. With a reluctant sigh, he allows Conuld to lead him away by the elbow, the point of his dangling greatsword dragging a furrow through the sand behind him. Somethin's not right with me, Connie, not right at all, he mutters. Head's all muddled like I been drinkin' for a fortnight. Why'd ye do it? Why'd ya harm that creachure? I think I was tryina hurt it too, but... it all seems like there's a fog now, ya know?
He looks up at Connie. I'm startin' ta despair o' this desert, he says, shaking his shaggy head. Things here, well they ain't nachural.
Cludge lifts his head a little at the sound of greatclub breaking bone but does not turn to look. I knowed somethin' was wrong as soon as I saw that lady at the o-wastesis. Now I jess don't know what.
 

Phoenix8008

Visitor
Kurgahz will wait a bit to see if Cludge hopefully turns his back or walks away. If the dwarf remains though, he goes ahead and does the coup de grace anyway.

Coup de grace on Lamia (1d20+4=24, 2d10+8=15)

If that ain't enough, Kurgahz will do the same again.

After that, he'll check the body for any items or stuff that might be on it before looking around for any treasure stash the critter might have had.
 

Trouvere

Visitor
AGFlynn said:
Cludge lifts his head a little at the sound of greatclub breaking bone but does not turn to look. I knowed somethin' was wrong as soon as I saw that lady at the o-wastesis. Now I jess don't know what.
"Do you trust me?" Conuld asks. "I assure you, the fog will lift within a few hours, and everything will be clear again. Try not to worry about anything until then. Come on, let's find my crossbow, then check on our camels."

Conuld casts Message and whispers to the three others. "Is it dead? There are the bodies of several of its victims in the pit. We should examine them and give them decent burial. I shall keep Cludge busy. You may whisper back to me."
[sblock=Spells prepared](0) Light; Ray of Frost; Ghost Sound (DC 14); Message; Prestidigitation
(1) Enlarge Person (DC 14); Endure Elements; Mage Armor; Color Spray (DC 15)
(2) extended Endure Elements; Cat's Grace; Scorching Ray
[/sblock]
 

AGFlynn

Visitor
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 3 (HP:34 AC:15)

Aye, I trust ya, Cludge answers slowly. Just don' trust meself right now. I know what ye all did was right, but I know ye was wrong, too. I ain't a dwarf o' much brainpower, ya point me at a target an' I goes at it. Think I'll go sit over there by meself and try not ta think fer awhile.
Cludge trundles slowly to the opposite side of the pit from the party and slumps onto a rock, his back turned to them.
 

Trouvere

Visitor
Conuld sits a little way away. "When Althor first showed me his spellbook, he asked if I wanted to copy certain spells of enchantment. I looked them over, but something struck me as morally questionable about them. Yes, I realise that I might use magic to incinerate an enemy, but at least that enemy has the choice to attack or surrender or run away. If I charmed or hypnotised them, I would take that choice away from them, or compel them to act against their very nature. Somehow, that seems worse. And there are other uses of such spells, in everyday life, which surely must present a constant temptation to those with the ability. No, on the whole, I am glad to know nothing of enchantment, or necromancy. Or perhaps I am just rationalizing my complete failure to comprehend the arcane formulae. I was more interested in other types of magic, in any case."

Conuld falls silent. After a while, he makes some clumsy motions with one arm. "No, it is no good. I can no longer remember the proper sequence. Well, certainly, it was a surprise when the lancing ray of heat burst from my palm when it did. Somehow I must practise so that my hand is facing in precisely the direction I require at the moment I speak the final word."
 

AGFlynn

Visitor
Cludge grunts and briefly squints at Conuld as if he had just started speaking in Kobold. Satisified the young human was not poking fun at him, he resumes his silent contemplation of the limitless horizon of sand.
 

Solange

Visitor
Shadya pats Cludge on his back as she walks away to let Kurgahz to take care of it, "I hope you fight that strongly if any of the rest of us were in danger," she says.
 

Rae ArdGaoth

Visitor
The creature dies instantly with one solid whack from Kurgahz.

OOC: Loot update tomorrow evening, I think. Have a good trip, Flynn!
 

Rae ArdGaoth

Visitor
On the creature's wrist, Kurgahz finds a large, braided, gold band. On its long, slender fingers, a gold ring with a red garnet is tightly jammed. The creature also dropped a large dagger.

In the pit are two bloodied bodies. One is scratched and cut all over, the other's throat is slit. Both are desert men, clothed in (now bloodied) traveling clothes and studded leather armor. Each man wears a belt on which a sack, a waterskin, and two sheathes are strapped. Each sack contains 7 days of trail rations, one sack contains two vials of clear, odorless liquid. Both waterskins are empty. The sheathes of the man with the slit throat contain weapons, curved blades. Scimitars, to be precise. One is of particularly nice craft. The other man's swords lie on the ground near his body. Both are normal grade scimitars.

A quick search of the rest of the pit reveals a small recess in the rock. In this hole you find a large piece of green jade and a camel statuette carved from bone. The hole seems quite empty for its size.

The Loot:
  • Jade
  • Large gold bracelet
  • Camel statuette
  • Gold ring with red garnet

  • Studded leather armor x2 (both bloodied)
  • MW scimitar
  • Mundane scimitar x3 (2 bloodied)
  • Dagger (large)
  • Sack x2
  • Waterskin x2
  • Trail rations x14

  • Vial of clear, odorless liquid x2
 

Advertisement

Top