A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

Trouvere

Explorer
Conuld says a word he definitely did not learn in the library, drops his crossbow, and charges in, somehow managing to get his staff ready to smack the monster as he arrives.

OOC: If Conuld did finish round 7 a couple of squares further east than is shown on the map, then a charge could put him SE of Cludge (uh oh), and flanking with Kurgahz for this mighty effort 1d20+1+2+2=18, damage 1d6=1 (oh for heaven's sake)

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 3 (HP:30 [-4 non-lethal] AC:15)

Cludge staggers back from a flat-bladed blow from Shadya, a goose egg starting to form on his forehead. Now utterly befuddled, he shoots a hurt glance at Shadya and blinks. The world appears to have gone berserk around him and for some inexplicable reason his friends are fighting amongst themselves. He's not sure why, but the lovable cat creature must be helped -- it's bleeding and battered. Tackling Shadya was a far more daunting task than he ever would have expected and his companions seem intent on the beasts destruction.
There's only one more thing I can try, he mutters.
Cludge flings himself into the creature's space, hoping to block the blows raining down on it by becoming a dwarfish shield.

OOC: Not sure if this is a grapple, an attack or some other kind of action. I think one of the two go prone under the rules. Bull rush? Overrun?

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I believe this is just not a legal action that will shield the other character in any way, for balance issues. Otherwise PC Fighters could just do it on the Wizards and let the Wizards blast away or something. There's a Devoted Defender PrC that has a similar ability though, but they give up much for it)

Last edited:

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 3 (HP:34 AC:15)

Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: I believe this is actually just not a legal action, for balance issues. Otherwise PC Fighters could just do it on the Wizards and let the Wizards blast away or something. There's a Devoted Defender PrC that has a similar ability though, but they give up much for it)

OOC: I think it is legal, but constitutes ending your turn in a friendly character's space, which equals one going prone. Kinda kooky, I'll admit, which is why I suggest using overrun rules.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Ohhhh, you mean are you allowed to do it. Yep, you can (if the monster decides to count you as friendly). I meant that you can't gain any benefit from doing it (the monster will at best receive no bonuses, at worst it will give us all a +4 to hit due to being prone, with the exception being Conuld's crossbow, which will be at a penalty and also might hit Cludge 50% of the time if Cludge wants to count as grappling)

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 3 (HP:34 AC:15)

Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: Ohhhh, you mean are you allowed to do it. Yep, you can (if the monster decides to count you as friendly). I meant that you can't gain any benefit from doing it (the monster will at best receive no bonuses, at worst it will give us all a +4 to hit due to being prone, with the exception being Conuld's crossbow, which will be at a penalty and also might hit Cludge 50% of the time if Cludge wants to count as grappling)

[sblock=OOC] Exactly. My thinking is that Cludge is completely addle-minded from dropping Wisdom, a whack on the head and the weirdness going on around him. He doesn't want to hurt anyone and trying to tackle Shadya didn't work and there's no point even trying to grab a giant Kurghaz. So, his only option, as he sees is it, is to essentially give Kitty a hug and stop people hitting it. Kitty is 4-legged (+4 stability bonus I think) and the likely outcome of all of this is that Cludge will be the one prone in his square. Or the thing will resist the overrun and Cludge will end up right back where he started. Not sure, but if Kitty then attacks anyone in the party I think it threatens disrupting the charm monster.[/sblock]

Solange

First Post
OOC: Yeah, but he's trying ;) Should be my last consistent post for a while. I'll get on when I can, which is hopefully more often than I'm worried it will be.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: Hmm... very interesting. I understand what Cludge is trying to do, but unfortunately for "Kitty" it's a lose-lose-lose scenario for him. As Cludge's "best friend", it seems unlikely to me that the dwarf would want to push the lamia down to the ground or force it to provoke AoO from all the people around it. I'll allow it, since Cludge is mighty confused, but I don't think he should continue this behavior next round.

Also, regarding breaking the charm monster effect, A) Cludge already received a bonus for being in combat, he failed his will save. So combat won't break the spell. And B) the kitty is acting very rationally if it fights back against Cludge's other friends. In Cludge's eyes, it would be self-defense. So nope, charm monster stands as is.

Round 8:

Cludge tries to push over the creature, hoping to defend it or... or something. The creature is terribly surprised by Cludge's actions, and still dazed by Lasair's blast. It doesn't respond, but when Cludge pushes, it does push back, and Cludge falls to the ground. The cat creature looks piteously at Cludge, as though it couldn't comprehend why its friend would ever try to tackle it when it was clearly being attacked by friends! Cludge is overcome with emotion, and promises himself not to try that move again.

Shadya swings again and misses, again.

Kurgahz swings again and misses, again.

Conuld whacks the thing with his staff, but does minimal damage.

The creature stands still, a miserable sight, tears streaming down its face, incapable of deciding what to do.

Lasair is unaffected. She hits it again, and again, its mind offers no resistance. (failed save, 3 Cha damage)

OOC: That's 3 natural 1's in the creature's last 7 rolls. Is IC broken?? This is getting a little ridiculous!

Round 8: 11:45:42 AM
Initiative

Cludge (1 WIS damage, 4 nonlethal damage) <--
Shadya
Kurgahz (enlarged at 11:45:06)
Conuld (Cat's Grace at 11:45:18)
Creature (37 damage, 9 CHA damage)
Lasair (14/35pp)

OOC: Sorry, last one! I'm busy again, so I'll try to stop in during tomorrow night, but the day will be tough.

Trouvere

Explorer
Conuld swings his staff around like a madman, trying to draw the creature's diminished attention away from Kurgahz Shadya, looming on its other side, but he's not even effective at that.

OOC: Aid another 1d20+1+2=7. It failed anyway, but does aid another receive a flanking bonus?

Edit: Kurgahz's action, occurring before Conuld's, makes Conuld's action illegal, since Kurgahz now isn't in melee... so, not that it matters, but his failed aid another (now a mere 5) can instead (fail to) apply to Shadya.

Last edited:

Remove ads