A Tradition I've Been Working On

Sniperfox47

First Post
Atom Mlatom suggested people post more races to the database, and while I'm not ready to put up my races yet I do have one tradition and six variants of a monster to share with anyone who'd like to see.
Short bit of background (skip if you don't give a darn): A player of mine a few years back came across the Darkness and Light spells in D&D and wanted to build a character concept based on using those as energy types. We worked together a bit and came up with the idea of the Darklight, a special prestige class built towards harnessing light and darkness. We originally called the Umbra "Shadow"s, but that got confusing if we used it outside my setting (since there's a kind of undead named "Shadow"s in the SRD), but I think the name's still pretty fitting.

Needless to say when we started playing WOIN and she saw the elemental system she immediately wanted to revive it and so we drew it up. It's been changed slightly by me to correspond to the new playtest document's changes (mages having specializations), but otherwise it's what we drew up together.

If you're looking at their spell-lists and wonder what the Light, Lightforming, Shadowforming, Lightray, and Shadowray spell-lists are, I haven't come up with them yet. Light would be the same as Shadow from the playtest document, the x-formings are for creating elemental objects, transformation and defensive spells, and the x-rays are offensive spells.

If you see the note on two races, they're races I did up but I'm still trying to work out some kinks with them. I'll post them when I get them finished.

MONSTERS

Umbras and Glares
UMBRAS
Penumbra Antumbra Umbra
TIER Starting TIER Starting TIER Starting
SIZE Tiny SIZE Medium SIZE Large
CLASSIFICATION Fey (Immaterial)
CLASSIFICATION Fey (Shadow, Immaterial)
CLASSIFICATION Abomination (Shadow, Immaterial)
SENTIENCE Animalistic SENTIENCE Sentient SENTIENCE Sentient
XP 121 (level 1) XP 289 (level 3) XP 1089 (level 7)
STR 1 (1d6) STR 3 (2d6) STR 7 (4d6)
AGI 5 (3d6) AGI 7 (4d6) AGI 9 (5d6)
END 1 (1d6) END 3 (2d6) END 7 (4d6)
INT 2 (2d6) INT 4 (3d6) INT 12 (7d6)
WIL 2 (2d6) WIL 3 (6d6) WIL 5 (6d6)
CHA 2 (5d6) CHA 2 (5d6) CHA 2 (5d6)
MAG 4 (3d6) shadow MAG 6 (4d6) shadow, shadowforming MAG 12 (7d6) shadow, shadowforming, shadowray
SPEED 4 (fly) SPEED 6 (fly) SPEED 8 (fly)
CLIMB 5 CLIMB 5 CLIMB 5
JUMP 16'/12' (3 sq/2 sq) JUMP 16'/12' (3 sq/2 sq) JUMP 16'/12' (3 sq/2 sq)
INITIATIVE 3d6 INITIATIVE 3d6 INITIATIVE 7d6
PERCEPTION 15 PERCEPTION 12 PERCEPTION 36
CARRY - CARRY 90 lb CARRY 255 lb
NATURAL DAMAGE 1d6 NATURAL DAMAGE 1d6 NATURAL DAMAGE 2d6
HEALTH 3 HEALTH 9 HEALTH 28
DEFENSE 17 DEFENSE 16 DEFENSE 18 (SOAK 5)
MENTAL DEFENSE 8 MENTAL DEFENSE 9 MENTAL DEFENSE 13
RESISTANCES Immune to shadow RESISTANCES Immune to shadow RESISTANCES Immune to shadow
VULNERABILITIES Light 2d6 VULNERABILITIES Light 2d6 VULNERABILITIES -
ATTACKS 2 x claw 3d6 (1d6 damage) ATTACKS 2 x claw 4d6 (1d6 shadow damage),
Dark Longsword 4d6 (4d6 shadow damage, emits shadow to 20ft)
ATTACKS 4 x claw 6d6 (1d6 shadow damage),
Superior Dark Two-handed Sword 6d6 (7d6 shadow damage, emits pure-darkness to 60ft)
COMBAT TRICKS Feint, Flyby COMBAT TRICKS Deadly Strike, Feint, Flyby COMBAT TRICKS Deadly Strike, Feint, Flyby
SPECIAL ABILITIES Opposing: Light SPECIAL ABILITIES Opposing: Light, Shadow form SPECIAL ABILITIES Opposing: Light, Shadow form, Devour nightmares
SKILLS Perception, Reactions SKILLS Perception, Reactions, Stealth SKILLS Perception, Reactions, Stealth, Illusion, Natural Attack
EQUIPMENT - EQUIPMENT Dark Longsword (Create light III/GenIII) - lasts 1 hour
EQUIPMENT Superior Dark Two-handed Sword (Create light IX/GenIII) - lasts 1 hour
GLARES
Shine Gleam Glare
TIER Starting TIER Starting TIER Starting
SIZE Tiny SIZE Medium SIZE Large
CLASSIFICATION Fey (Immaterial)
CLASSIFICATION Fey (Light, Immaterial)
CLASSIFICATION Abomination (Light, Immaterial)
SENTIENCE Animalistic SENTIENCE Sentient SENTIENCE Sentient
XP 121 (level 1) XP 289 (level 3) XP 1089 (level 7)
STR 1 (1d6) STR 3 (2d6) STR 7 (4d6)
AGI 5 (3d6) AGI 7 (4d6) AGI 9 (5d6)
END 1 (1d6) END 3 (2d6) END 7 (4d6)
INT 2 (2d6) INT 4 (3d6) INT 12 (7d6)
WIL 2 (2d6) WIL 3 (6d6) WIL 5 (6d6)
CHA 2 (5d6) CHA 2 (5d6) CHA 2 (5d6)
MAG 4 (3d6) light MAG 6 (4d6) light, lightforming MAG 12 (7d6) shadow, lightforming, lightray
SPEED 4 (fly) SPEED 6 (fly) SPEED 8 (fly)
CLIMB 2 CLIMB 3 CLIMB 4
JUMP 6'/3' (1 sq/0 sq) JUMP 14'/3' (2 sq/0 sq) JUMP 18'/7' (3 sq/1 sq)
INITIATIVE 3d6 INITIATIVE 3d6 INITIATIVE 7d6
PERCEPTION 15 PERCEPTION 12 PERCEPTION 36
CARRY - CARRY 90 lb CARRY 255 lb
NATURAL DAMAGE 1d6 NATURAL DAMAGE 1d6 NATURAL DAMAGE 2d6
HEALTH 3 HEALTH 9 HEALTH 28
DEFENSE 17 DEFENSE 16 DEFENSE 18 (SOAK 5)
MENTAL DEFENSE 8 MENTAL DEFENSE 9 MENTAL DEFENSE 13
RESISTANCES Immune to light RESISTANCES Immune to light RESISTANCES Immune to light
VULNERABILITIES Shadow 2d6 VULNERABILITIES Shadow 2d6 VULNERABILITIES -
ATTACKS 2 x claw 3d6 (1d6 cutting damage) ATTACKS 2 x claw 4d6 (1d6 light damage),
Brilliant Longsword 4d6 (4d6 light damage, emits light to 20ft)
ATTACKS 4 x claw 6d6 (1d6 light damage),
Superior Brilliant Two-handed Sword 6d6 (7d6 light damage, emits light to 60ft)
COMBAT TRICKS Feint COMBAT TRICKS Deadly Strike, Feint COMBAT TRICKS Deadly Strike, Feint, Flyby
SPECIAL ABILITIES Opposing: Shadow SPECIAL ABILITIES Opposing: Shadow, Light form SPECIAL ABILITIES Opposing: Shadow, Light form, Devour daydreams
SKILLS Perception, Reactions SKILLS Perception, Reactions, Stealth SKILLS Perception, Reactions, Stealth, Illusion, Natural Attack
EQUIPMENT - EQUIPMENT Brilliant Longsword (Create light III/GenIII) - lasts 1 hour EQUIPMENT Superior Brilliant Two-handed Sword (Create light IX/GenIII) - lasts 1 hour
Umbra and Glares are things of nightmares and illusions. While no-one's sure where these beings come from, it's obvious to all that they're not of this world.

The least powerful of these beings (Penumbra, and Shines) are only newly formed and don't pose much threat to an experienced traveller. Penumbras appear as the manifest shadows of local wildlife, while Shines appear as the opposite -manifested light in the shape of a creature's silhouette-. They may be things of light and shadow but a blade can cut as easily through them as it can through flesh.

Upon reaching their adult forms (Antumbra and Gleams), they warp and twist becoming monstrous versions of what they once were. Covered in claws and snapping jaws, they can take the form of a shadow or "light" on the ground in the shape of their manifest form. Because of this they are invisible in their respective light or shadow, and nearly impossible to kill. In this state, however, a blast of their opposing light or shadow can not only damage them, but force them to materialize as well. Extended exposure to light or shadow can do the same.

In their final state, an Umbra or Glare becomes a monstrous entity. Their form is no longer recognizable and they are capable of withstanding even extended exposure to their opposing element. Their shadow/light form becomes a writhing mass, rather than their previous silhouette. Be careful about where you dream, since their mere touch can pull you into a world of nightmares.

Opposing/Primary element: A Glare is a creature of pure light, while an Umbra is a creature of pure shadow; these are their primary elements. Because of this, light and shadow play an important role in determining their abilities. For any of their abilities that rely on an opposing element substitute shadow for glares (and their variants), and light for umbras (and their variants).

Shadow/Light Form: As a single action a Glare, Umbra, Gleam, or Antumbra can switch between their Light/Shadow form and a manifested physical form. In their light/shadow form they can neither attack, nor fly, but they do get certain benefits. They are immune to damage (other than their opposing element), make no sound, are invisible when in areas of their primary element, and can still cast magic.

When they shift forms, most objects stay as they were, however objects made of their primary element (such as a Glare's Brilliant Two-Handed Sword) shift forms with them.

While they cannot be hurt normally, they can still take damage with the type of their opposing element. If they take damage in this way they are forced to manifest, costing them an action, in addition to any vulnerability damage they might take.

Additionally they have a countdown pool based on their endurance stat. It counts down for each turn they spend in an area of their opposing element (whether natural or magical). If the timer reaches 0 they are forced to manifest, costing an action, until they return to an area of their primary element. Treat this as a fast countdown, which can be replenished by 1 die for each round they spend in an area of their primary element.

Devour Daydreams/Nightmares: A fully grown Glare or Umbra can eat the nightmares and daydreams of their victims. If an Umbra or Glare touches an individual while they're having a dream or daydream, they can make a check against the target's mental defence. If successful, the target becomes comatose and creates a death pool using their WIL in place of END. No method (including emergency healing) can help stabilize the target. For the duration of the countdown and for 1d6 days after, the Umbra/Glare gains a bonus to their STR, END, and MAG equal to the number of dice lost on the countdown. If they are slain before the countdown reaches 0, the target wakes up unharmed, having had a terrible nightmare, but if the countdown reaches 0 they become permanently comatose.

Tradition

Darklight 1d6 years
Prerequisites: Mage II, INT 4+, a Light spell-list, a Shadow spell list
Spells: A Darklight has access to all Light and Shadow spell lists, as well as all weave spell lists.
A Darklight is a Mage who focuses their skills on studies of light and darkness. Every coin has two sides, and both of these sides have their virtues. A Darklight understands this and seeks to maintain the balance of their world, whatever they feel that balance is.
INT+1, WIL+1, MAG+2, REP+1
SPELLCRAFT, SEEING, ILLUSION, PERCEPTION, CONCENTRATION, MAGICAL SKILLS, DARKENING, LIGHTING
I: You lose your specialization. Instead you gain Darklight* specialization, granting you a +1 die bonus on light and shadow spells. If both light and shadow are present apply this bonus only once.
II: Anytime you cast a spell with the Shadow or Light target, you may substitute it for the Darklight* element. Treat the spell for all purposes as if any Shadow and/or Light spell-lists in it were both Shadow and light.
III: Choose Light or Shadow. You gain and Elemental Touch that deals this type of damage. Determine the damage die the same way you do your Natural Damage, substituting magic for strength. You can change your choice of element once per day when you restore your MP.
IV: Your connection to Darklight has grown so strong that you need it to see the world as it truly is. You can no longer see color unless in an area of Darklight, but in return see everything at an ambient light level. You can see normally in even pitch-black darkness (to your full sight range) and cannot be blinded by bright lights. This functions minimally even in areas that block dark-vision, although you can only see 10' in such an area.
V: Your studies reach their peak and you take on the form of a Gleam or Antumbra. Change your character's race to the one that matches your Elemental Touch. This changes every time you change your Elemental Touch.
Gleam 80 years Antumbra 80 years
Gleams are beings of pure light Antumbra are beings of pure shadow
STR 3 AGI 7 END 3 INT 4 WILL 3 CHA 2 MAG 2 STR 3 AGI 7 END 3 INT 4 WILL 3 CHA 2 MAG 2
Perception, Reactions, Stealth, Illusion, Natural Attack Perception, Reactions, Stealth, Illusion, Natural Attack
Type: Fey (light, Immaterial)

Fly
2x claws (light damage)
immune to light
vulnerable 2d6 shadow
Light Form
Type: Fey (shadow, Immaterial)

Fly
2x claws (shadow damage)
immune to shadow
vulnerable 2d6 light
Shadow Form
80+
Adult
80+
Adult
These two races are not intended as starting races, and are not balanced as such. If you're interested in playing a similar character race take a look at the Darkling and Lightling races.
*Darklight is not a separate element, rather it is a blend of Light and Shadow. Such a spell appears to those looking into it as a shadow spell, but acts as a light spell in it's core. Here are a few examples of how it works:
A Darklight elemental object appears to those beyond 20ft as if it's casting shadows, but appears to those inside that range to cast light to 20ft, turning everything past that to shadow.

An Evoke Darklight spell would light the spell's area, but appear to those outside the area as if it was both unlit and any lights as bright as torches inside had been extinguished. When it dealt damage, it would roll damage and deal half that in Light damage, and half in Shadow damage at the same time (if odd apply the extra point of damage to whichever type is more beneficial to the caster).

Thank you for giving it a look over. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially if I made an error someplace.

Last edited:

Atom Mlatom

First Post
This is pretty cool. Re: License concerns, if you've been working on this for that long (and with a friend, no less), I can certainly understand the hesitation. Appreciate your sharing. :)

Sniperfox47

First Post
Re: License concerns, if you've been working on this for that long (and with a friend, no less), I can certainly understand the hesitation.

Yeah. Pretty much everything that I've ported over to WOIN has been something that's a part of the setting I developed with my players. If I'm going to release the content it has to be in a method that not only am I comfortable with, but all of the people who have contributed to the story that developed these things.

I'm currently mulling over the idea of writing up a setting guide for my whole setting, along with most of the monsters and classes (converted to tradition) that we've developed, but it'll depend on my players as well as the terms of Morrus compatibility logo. It wouldn't be anything fancy like the core rulebook though. Just a PDF, maybe with a few commissioned pictures done by a friend of mine.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases