D&D 5E A tweak for the Battlemaster fighter

Esker

Hero
Personally, I think the important thing is whether or not all the maneuvers are used between short rests. If the come by reaction or bonus action is less important. Or am I missing something?

Well they offer different amounts of damage. For the PAM spear and shield dueling build I'm looking at currently, riposte attacks are worth more per die than other things. So it's biased upward to assume you get to use all your dice on those.

dave2008

Legend
Well they offer different amounts of damage. For the PAM spear and shield dueling build I'm looking at currently, riposte attacks are worth more per die than other things. So it's biased upward to assume you get to use all your dice on those.
Can you use PAM w/ Dueling? Dueling requires one hand be empty and PAM weapons are two handed (though I guess the quarterstaff is versatile).

Quartz

Hero
Quartz, did you in the OP choose the "Dueling (Fighting) Style?"

Yes. I could have chosen another fighting style. Actually, when I first tried to post, I showed several.

<snippage>

You are being deliberately obtuse. I have answered all those questions elsewhere in the thread. You keep including surge damage when I specifically exclude it.

Esker

Hero
You are being deliberately obtuse. I have answered all those questions elsewhere in the thread. You keep including surge damage when I specifically exclude it.

When about nine people are telling you the same thing and literally no one is agreeing with you, it might be time to come to the realization that you are the only rationale person and the world is out to get you. Someday you'll show them! You just have to stick to your guns no matter what! I mean look at Galileo! You're probably just like Galileo!

dave2008

Legend
Yes. I could have chosen another fighting style. Actually, when I first tried to post, I showed several.

Great! Let's try to agree on some parameters then. Are you in for discussing the damage of a TWF ranger? If so, would you like to set the parameters or should I?

I may have been obtuse, but it was not deliberate. I can see it now that I step back and look at my post, but I was just trying to be precise as I truly do not understand what you know / understand rules wise. They you react or ignore post is confusing to me. For instance, I don't believe you have ever clarified (and i have looked) that you understand a dueling style ranger, with no feats, does not get a bonus attack. You keep saying (paraphrasing): "100% bonus actions" & "bonus action source is irrelevant - you get them!" Which implies you don't understand that fact. But maybe you have dropped the Dueling style discussion, if so you never acknowledged it (that I can see).

Everyone in this discussion is including action surge because it makes sense to everyone, except apparently you. The class is clearly designed to include action surge damage and that is by far the most common usage of actions surge (heck I know people who didn't realize it could be used otherwise). Yes, one could choose to use it otherwise. But if that is your argument, the same applies to Hunter's Mark. For example HM is not a given. It has to be spell chosen (Action surge is a class feature - all fighters get it). Furthermore, it is a concentration spell. If a range wants to do something else with concentration (similar to a fighter choosing to use action surge for something other than attacking), it looses the HM. The ranger must also use a bonus action to switch HM to a new target, and HM is lost and has to be recast if the ranger looses concentration. They only way for a fighter to loose its action surge is to use it. Though it could not get recharged if there are no short rests. So the are broadly very similar. It makes sense to include them both, this is clear to almost everyone.

Now you need to add into the spreadsheet the additional party damage that battlemasters set up by enabling sneak attack from rogue allies. One, two or three rogue allies should be sufficient.

;)

Remove ads