D&D 5E A use for True Strike

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Now I think I’m going to create a magic item that lets you cast True Strike as a bonus action. 1d4+1 charges/day.

Make sure the item allows the true strike 1) allows for the advantage in the same turn AND 2) doesn't require concentration.

Frankly, IMO, you're better off having the item mimic the Tasha's rogue ability "steady aim" (perhaps without the 0 movement requirement) instead? not only better, but a much less murky ability, rules wise.

Bolares

Hero
So, true strike's target isn't the person receiving advantage. It's the creature you get advantage from. So if you twin true strike, your first attack against two targets gets advantage. That's why the poster said to also twin a guiding bolt. Then you would have advantage on both guiding bolt targets, and if you hit those, give your party advantage on the first attack against both targets.

Oofta

Legend
So, true strike's target isn't the person receiving advantage. It's the creature you get advantage from. So if you twin true strike, your first attack against two targets gets advantage. That's why the poster said to also twin a guiding bolt. Then you would have advantage on both guiding bolt targets, and if you hit those, give your party advantage on the first attack against both targets.
That's a lot of metamagic for pretty minimal gain though. It also assumes targets stick around from round 1 to round 2 and so on.

It is slightly better than just casting guiding bolt two rounds in a row, but not by much.

Bolares

Hero
That's a lot of metamagic for pretty minimal gain though. It also assumes targets stick around from round 1 to round 2 and so on.

It is slightly better than just casting guiding bolt two rounds in a row, but not by much.
I never said it was worth it :p

Was just explaining what I think was the intent of the comment, and how the rules support it. IMHO this play is not worth the sorcery points it spends.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

With the added problems of:

1. It's concentration so interferes with those spells (Say a divine soul sorcerer that wanted to have spirit guardians up - nope);

2. It interferes with bonus actions - so same divine soul sorcerer had cast spiritual hammer - it just sit's there doing nothing for a round.

It takes a lot of resources AND blocks a lot of resources. just seems like a bad bet all around!

Frankly, If I had a villain doing this - the party would mock him mid combat - which might be worth it, mind you.

Last edited:

Bolares

Hero
Frankly, If I had a villain doing this - the party would mock him mid combat - which might be worth it, mind you.
That's a GREAT idea! Have the villain give a great speech about how they are the ultimate wizard and stuff like that, then, open combat with him casting true f'n strike on the party. My players would die laughing

Oofta

Legend
That's a GREAT idea! Have the villain give a great speech about how they are the ultimate wizard and stuff like that, then, open combat with him casting true f'n strike on the party. My players would die laughing
Awesome! While they're on the floor laughing and incapacitated strike while the iron is hot!

Dausuul

Legend
What if true strike simply gave you an automatic hit on your next attack?

It would still be inferior to attacking twice under normal circumstances, since most attack rolls have a hit chance over 50%. But it would shine against high-AC foes. And since it bypasses the attack roll entirely, it doesn't enable smite abuse.

What if true strike simply gave you an automatic hit on your next attack?

It would still be inferior to attacking twice under normal circumstances, since most attack rolls have a hit chance over 50%. But it would shine against high-AC foes. And since it bypasses the attack roll entirely, it doesn't enable smite abuse.
It used to be +20 on attack rolls back then. So this would be equally useful.

Another idea could be automatically granting a crit on your next hit in addition to advantage. That would be worth it.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
My favorite thing I've ever done with True Strike:

I banned it with a house rule...no explanation or anything, just a single comment in my campaign notes: "the True Strike cantrip has been removed from the game." Just to mess with my players. Of course they latched onto it like a terrier, and it was all they could think and talk about for the entire Session Zero.

Watching them all trying to discreetly find whatever exploit or broken power combo that caused me to ban the cantrip in the first place, was the most fun I've ever had at a character rolling party. They were digging deep, too..."okay, so if I go with a Tiefling Bladepact SorLock with Green Flame Blade, by 5th level I could...wait, what? It takes a whole action to cast!?"

Them:
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Me:
Michael Jackson Reaction GIF

Last edited:

My favorite thing I've ever done with True Strike:

I banned it with a house rule...no explanation or anything, just a single comment in my campaign notes: "the True Strike cantrip has been removed from the game." Just to mess with my players. Of course they latched onto it like a terrier, and it was all they could think and talk about for the entire Session Zero.

Watching them all trying to discreetly find whatever exploit or broken power combo that caused me to ban the cantrip in the first place, was the most fun I've ever had at a character rolling party. They were digging deep, too..."okay, so if I go with a Tiefling Bladepact SorLock with Green Flame Blade, by 5th level I could...wait, what? It takes a whole action to cast!?"
There it is... the best way to use true strike.

I think it is because the spell is bad per se... It has concentration for some reason, wrecks your action economy, and grants a trivial effect.
No. If you had a ninth level slot with an attack roll that you can only cast once, true strike might be a way to do ensure it.
I also like the Idea of pointing a finger and needing a round, so you can actually stop it.
Maybe instead of an auto crit, you could just add 1d10 damage per tier if the attack hits.

Bolares

Hero
No. If you had a ninth level slot with an attack roll that you can only cast once, true strike might be a way to do ensure it.
having a niche aplication where the spell is usefull doesn't mean it is not bad... it kind of proves how bad it is, if you need to pair it with a 9th level spell to make it work. And wich 9th level spell would you use it on?

having a niche aplication where the spell is usefull doesn't mean it is not bad... it kind of proves how bad it is, if you need to pair it with a 9th level spell to make it work. And wich 9th level spell would you use it on?
No. I don't say it has to be that one single spell. Maybe I didn't make it clear:
We would need a wide array of ressources you spend before you kniw you hit.
Im the context of the 5e game design it is a general bad spell. Seems like a left over from earlier drafts.

Give it another useful rider, extra damage, a crit or a free upcast of your spell, and suddenly it becomes nice.

Edit: the ninth spell I spoke of was the hypothetical: make a melee or ranged touch attack to take someone out of combat forever.
3e plane shift (which was actually lower) would have been a spell like that.
Edit2: if it was melee attack roll instead of will negates...

Bolares

Hero
Seems like a left over from earlier drafts.
I think they were not completelly aware of the costs and value of action economy in the early days of 5e. One action is a pretty damned big cost for advantage. I don't think 5e needs a spell like true strike, and it's a pretty messy concept to make work as a cantrip. This is one I think they should've let die...

I think they were not completelly aware of the costs and value of action economy in the early days of 5e. One action is a pretty damned big cost for advantage. I don't think 5e needs a spell like true strike, and it's a pretty messy concept to make work as a cantrip. This is one I think they should've let die...
I disagree strongly.
I think the game needs more spells that take a round to cast and can be interrupted with an attack.
This is why I opened the thread about casting time 1 round.
A teleport spell would be like that.

A spell that converts death spells into unstoppable death spells by costing an action is nice.
So I would prefer +20 to hit or auto hit or whatever.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4