D&D 5E A Wizard's First Nine Spells

Stalker0

Legend
At the really low levels (like 1st and 2nd) its all about bang for your spell slots. So I prefer rituals at that level. Mage Armor and Shield are your got have "combat spells", everything else is negotiable. I do think sleep is very potent at the early levels so its good to have.

After a few more levels than silvery barbs, a few after that (around 4th and 5th level) absorb elements becomes a lot more useful as elemental types become more of a thing.

Cantrips:
1 attack cantrip - probably Firebolt, possibly Frostbite, Mind Sliver, or Toll the Dead; Create Bonfire is good if I'm going to be allowed to change cantrips and bad if I'm not.
Prestidigitation if I want my wizard to feel competent because it's all the minor goodness of being a wizard
1-2 utility cantrips from Message, Mage Hand, Shape Water, Move Earth, Control Fire, and Minor Illusion, or lig

First level front line spells
Mage Armour (unless I have another armour source)
At least one of Sleep, Magic Missile, Thunderwave, Tasha's Caustic Brew, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Possibly Disguise Self, Silent Image, or Silvery Barbs

First level important Rituals
Find Familiar (always!)
Alarm
Detect Magic
Comprehend Languages
Identify

Second level list (no room at first level but I'm going to need these spells to save my neck later so pick them up at second to avoid losing higher level spells known)
Shield, Absorb Elements

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Cantrips:
Fire Bolt
Control Flames
Mage Hand

1st Level:
Find Familiar (ritual, 10gp consumed)
Sleep (action)
Mage Armor (action, 8hrs)
Comprehend Language (ritual)
Shield (Reaction)
Detect Magic (Ritual)

I think I'm going with this. Not much of offense, but some great utility. I plan to take the Enchanter School at 2nd.

Here's a pic of the guy. His name is Noog

Ek5n-gVUwAE4N08.jpeg

Li Shenron

Legend
If you've ever made a wizard character, what are your favorite initial spells for your spellbook?

Normally I go by a theme, I don't like making generic/utilitaristic Wizards anymore, but if I were to create one anyway I'd probably go with this 1st-level list:

Cantrips
Dancing Lights
Mage Hand
Mending

First Level
Charm Person
Feather Fall
Identify
Mage Armor
Sleep
Unseen Servant

These include a couple of defensive spells, a couple of semi-offensive spells and the rest are utilities. No combat cantrips, I'd just use a crossbow.

Remove ads