Aaron Allston

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
That's sad. When I grew up I played a lot of BECM D&D in the Mystara setting. So the name Aaron Allston was more familiar to me than Gary Gygax.

/Maggan

His Hero system books were the best made. He did a supplement to Justice Inc that may have been the first book that used "story role" elements for characters: Strong Jawed Hero, Native Guide etc. His Strike Force book, in addition to being a fantastic source book, is one of the best GM advice books ever written.

Then the stuff he did for D&D, and his novels - the Wraith stuff for Star Wars, and his Doc Shidhe books were great. I called him out of the blue once, and he was a gentleman to speak to a slightly overeager fan on the phone for about a half hour.

He will be missed.

Serendipity

Explorer
His Hero system books were the best made. He did a supplement to Justice Inc that may have been the first book that used "story role" elements for characters: Strong Jawed Hero, Native Guide etc. His Strike Force book, in addition to being a fantastic source book, is one of the best GM advice books ever written......He will be missed.

Hear hear and seconding the Strike Force books as possibly one of the most influential books on GMing ever. So many basic concepts that have become commonplace I first encountered in that book.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Allston's articles in The Space Gamer got me into Champions, which grew to be 'My Game' for many, many years. He was the first game designer I ever wrote to, and he responded at length about his personal Strike Force campaign. He will be sorely missed.

Remove ads