D&D 5E Abandoning attunement and scaling back concentration

I read OP but scanned the rest of the posts, so I apologize if this has been said:

If you decide to allow spells to stack, then I would still require concentration on each spell. That way, opponents can still cause spells to be spoiled. I'd make the difficulty be the same 10 or 1/2 damage taken +1 for each spell after the first.

Roll for each spell separately? It could lead to a lot of rolling in a turn but some people like that.

Another option is to allow a familiar to concentrate on a spell. I think that buffs familiars a bit in a way that isn't too powerful.

Also, I think up-casting spells should be a must for multiple concentration.

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Quite the contrary, I question the current value of becoming a level 17 Wizard. I'm all for dissolving LFQW but I think 5E went too far. Not when it comes to low- and mid-level Wizards. When it comes to defining what the Wizard apogee is.
All I can say is that when I ran a campaign up to level 20, our wizard player--who was playing in his first 5E game but knew 3.5 very well--didn't seem unhappy. At level 17, he was excited about finally getting his 9th-level spell. (Which led to him casting Meteor Swarm on an entire tower full of angels and the party having their first near-TPK ... lol, good times ....)

But of course, things that are no problem at one table may be sources of grief at others. Such is the nature of the game.

Tony Vargas

Legend
That I said ten seconds is a figure of speech. :)
But have you seen the Archmage stats. He could definitely be cut down in ten seconds flat.
Figuratively.

But, yeah, if you're going to have a 5e monster stand, alone, against a CR = level party, at high level, you're probably going to need to pull out the Legendary mechanics.

And I dislike the idea he better turn himself into a monster (say, a lich) or surrounding himself with mooks before becoming capable of threatening the heroes.
You don't need to go all lich or anything to upgrade an NPC to a full-party challenge. You just need to adopt the right monster mechanics.

That's just not the D&D way.
I can see how you might feel the Archmage NPC stat block doesn't adequately represent the Essence of D&D (see thread of that name).

Remove ads