D&D 5E Ability Check origins at your table

How are Ability Checks handled at your 5e table?

• The DM gives the players checks when they ask to make them for their PCs

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • The DM asks the players to make checks when PCs attempt certain actions in the fiction

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • The players, when they feel it makes sense, announce a skill and roll dice, unbidden by the DM

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 7 9.3%

Do you, the DM, give players checks? (perhaps because they've asked to make one for their PC)
-OR-
Do you, the DM, ask players to make checks? (perhaps because of some action their PC is attempting)
-OR-
Do your players announce a skill and roll, thereby making a check that is ungiven or unasked by you, the DM? (perhaps because they feel it is an obvious time to do so)
-OR-
Something else? (perhaps because it doesn't fit neatly into one of the other options)
-OR-
Is it some combination of the above? (perhaps because a check is a check, let's keep things... rolling)

Vote in the poll then share your Why below...

Stormonu

Legend
Ask to make checks. Habit from years of play - "Roll your Move Silently ... behind the screen".

I need to consult the DC and what I deem to be the appropriate ability score and skill before the check is made, and be ready to deal with the results (Yes, I allow the Barbarian to use Strength with Intimidate). Don't like it when the players jump the gun and try to roll before I've had a moment to reflect/decide what's appropriate.

<Edit:>Also, past issues with cheating PCs doing a roll x10 beforehand or a roll'n'scoop.

aco175

Legend
90% of the time the players tell me something they want to do and I tell them to make a roll and what skill or ability to use. Sometimes I just tell them all to make a check without them telling me something first, but that is rare.

greg kaye

Explorer
I let players ask if they can make a check or just try for a check unbidden and I'll rule if they can make the check or if the made check is valid. Otherwise, I ask for checks as relevant.

While technically the DM decides when to call for a skill check, we're experienced enough to know when an action declaration is sure to result in a skill check, so in those cases we just say "I roll Athletics to do X"

Quickleaf

Legend
Do you, the DM, give players checks? (perhaps because they've asked to make one for their PC)
-OR-
Do you, the DM, ask players to make checks? (perhaps because of some action their PC is attempting)
-OR-
Do your players announce a skill and roll, thereby making a check that is ungiven or unasked by you, the DM? (perhaps because they feel it is an obvious time to do so)
-OR-
Something else? (perhaps because it doesn't fit neatly into one of the other options)
-OR-
Is it some combination of the above? (perhaps because a check is a check, let's keep things... rolling)

Vote in the poll then share your Why below...

I tend to do a fluid combo of all three approaches you describe. So I voted "Other."

Usually, I'll ask for checks when players attempt certain actions. BUT, sometimes players will ask to make checks when they have a specific objective in mind, and then I adjudicate whether it's auto-success, auto-failure / impossible, or a check is called for. AND on rare occasions when it's blatantly obvious to all of us – typically after playing together for some time – that this fiction maps to a check, the player will just make the check and announce it, and we carry on playing.

In reality it's a combination of all of the above. However, it is a petty peeve of mine when Players grab the dice and announce their intent to roll a check.

To address this I have begun using the "Just Do It" approach. Just tell me what your Character intends to do and most of the time they'll just succeed. However, some of the time I'll decide that a check is needed.

I tell my Players up front that most of the time preemptive checks are unnecessary, and you'll probably just be shooting yourself in the foot if you insist on doing it.

Shiroiken

Legend
The DM calls for checks. Half the time players want to do something, they automatically succeed (or fail) without needing a roll. Other times I wait for the check to be relevant (e.g. Stealth) to avoid metagaming. The only time I'm okay with a player just performing a check is if there's an existing rule for it (e.g. Perception in combat).

I've got no problem with a player asking "can I roll X" with an associated action, but I hate it when a player just rolls dice. I'm trying to train my players to wait for the check before rolling by manipulating the results of premature rolls. A good roll will be rerolled, while a bad roll will be kept. I've even made them fail things that were going to be automatic. In general I give a player one premature roll per session before I start, reminding them to wait for an actual check before tossing the dice.

Remove ads