Ability score enhancement, bonus spells or not ??

hong

WotC's bitch
Plane Sailing said:
I think that technically a spell which lasted for 24 hours or more would allow you to get the benefit of memorising more spells - so a 12th level wizard who cast extended Foxes Cunning (should the spell be allowed from MaoF) should be able to prepare spells with his boosted intelligence.

Extended? Persistent, man!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I suppose if MaoF spells are around, it might be reasonable for there to be MaoF metamagic too (is Persistant MaoF?) :)

Still - how many additional levels does that add to a spell? I'm guessing that it is more than +2...

Madfox

First Post
hong said:

Extended? Persistent, man!

Except that spells with a range touch cannot be made persistant, which was further clarified in the errata of the FRC (or at least I think it was there, it might have been the Magic of Fearun errata).

The spell descriptions of fox's cunning, owl's wisdom and eagles splendor are quite clear that the increase in an attribute does not give bonus spells. The reason would be balance and to prevent long discussions on what dissapears when...

hong

WotC's bitch
Madfox said:

Except that spells with a range touch cannot be made persistant, which was further clarified in the errata of the FRC (or at least I think it was there, it might have been the Magic of Fearun errata).

The spell descriptions of fox's cunning, owl's wisdom and eagles splendor are quite clear that the increase in an attribute does not give bonus spells. The reason would be balance and to prevent long discussions on what dissapears when...

Spoilsports. :p

Voadam

Legend
multiple extends takes care of the problem

If they are hour per level spells a high level caster is better off extending them (the feat can be applied multiple times) a couple of times so they last more than one day. I don't have the books in front of me but besides the FR ones and R&R I believe Chaosium's Dragon Lords of Melnibone book has some as well.

bleedthefreak

First Post
Just a side note

I haven't heard anyone mention this, but if a Sorcerer casts the 1d4+1 chr spell (or drinks a potion of charisma) he or she will benefit from bonus spells cast per day, just as if she was wearing a cloak of charisma. Same would go for bards.

One thing no one has brought up is the usefulness for these spells lessens as the equipment comes into play, for example, at low levels a wizard with Fox's Cunning (or whatever the INT one is) is great, but as he levels up and finds the headband of intellect, it isn't usefull unless he can yield a result on the spell higher then the item he is wearing (they don't stack). If a mage has a HoI +4 then he would have to roll a natural 4 (to get a 5) AND have an odd number in his stat to get even a +1 bonus, not really worth it, and a +4 stat booster can be easily had by level 9 or 10.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
kreynolds said:

Also, it's important to note that the instant the Intelligence bonus granting spell expires, the wizard would also instantly lose the bonus spell slots and spells contained within.

My Inner Ruleslawyer disagrees on this point. The only rules for losing prepared spells I can recall are when you are Raised or somesuch.

By the letter of the law, a prepared spell is still prepared, but you are restricted in the spells per day you may cast by what your stat bonus is at the moment. There is nothing obviously wrong with having more spells prepared than you can actually cast that day. (As a matter of fact, that would make an interesting Feat--giving a wizard or cleric something aking to spontaneously casting.)

It is not an entirely academic question. It could certainly can come up if a higher level spellcaster with a stat boosting item were to casually walk through an Anti-Magic Field. Once you start making up rules about losing prepared spells, you have to make up yet more rules for how it might affect wizards, sorcerors, and clerics differently.

kreynolds

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
It is not an entirely academic question. It could certainly can come up if a higher level spellcaster with a stat boosting item were to casually walk through an Anti-Magic Field. Once you start making up rules about losing prepared spells, you have to make up yet more rules for how it might affect wizards, sorcerors, and clerics differently.

In the case above, if the wizard walked through an anti-magic field, his bonus spells would be "suppressed", not lost, until he exited the field. This would apply to "all" spellcasters. It's the same if you have a spell going on you, such as mage armor. If you walk into an anti-magic field, your mage armor is not lost, simply suppressed until you leave the field or the field goes away. So, no, you don't need more rules. ;)

Remove ads