• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability Scores

Roman

First Post
Over time, I have moderated my opposition to the standardized +1/2 level bonus. Initially, I thought it was a bonus to skill checks only and really disliked the automatic progression. Once it became likely that it is a bonus to all ability (and derived) checks, I started coming over on the basis of the sheer elegance of the system. Were there also a flaws system (with compensating benefits), as I suggested in a previous thread, that would enable us to create still balanced character concepts that were not good at everything, I would be completely happy with this aspect of the 4th edition.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
jodyjohnson said:
If 4e checks are about overcoming obstacles moreso than proving whether or not 'Old Guy' can beat 'Young Olympic Swimmer', the only thing that matters will be whether your character can overcome the challenge or at least survive it. The way the skills would be relevant is how they operate in the context of a game scene or encounter.

Sure in an olympic pool we'll let Young level 1 swimmer beat Old level 20 non-swimmer every single time, but where it counts out in the story/adventure the Level 20 guy is going to have a decent chance of finding a way to survive/overcome where the Level 1 guy is overpowered by the challenge just like he would by a combat challenge.
Yeah, I think this is the way it will likely work. Because in 98% of all cases, the PCs are only going to be testing their skills against people around their level and challenges appropriate to their level. The "holes" in the system where you notice that you are much better at swimming that a good swimmer who is level one won't be part of the game most of the time.

Instead the effect on your actually character is that you are still a much worse swimmer than the barbarian in your group, but you still have a chance of surviving when your group falls into the rapid whitewater river that threatens to drown you all. When the group of level 1 characters knows that none of them, even the good swimmers would survive that. It's all a matter of heroics. Powerful heroes survive difficult challenges.

I think this is also why the designers were confused when someone asked them why if the power level would increase in 4e. They don't think in terms of "can a 1st level character survive more than it could before?" Instead it is in terms of "Do you feel like you face appropriate challenges at every level?"

Wanderer20

First Post
My prediction is...if only the WotC wasn't so plainly ******* not to give us the slightest information (like this one, that cannot be changed from now to the release), no one would have to discuss.

Since their lack of info is done to "advertise the game" and "create excitement" the best thing would be to treat them like a board troll: do not feed them by discussing.

At least I speak for those who feels cheated with 4E

Roman

First Post
Reading your sig, I must state that it has already been unequivocally stated by the designers that there will not be 4.5E version of D&D.

Li Shenron

Legend
Roman said:
Reading your sig, I must state that it has already been unequivocally stated by the designers that there will not be 4.5E version of D&D.

What if some of the major designers or a few key management personalities change within WotC before the next 3 years? You never know... they may not be interested in keeping the promises of their predecessors.

Roman

First Post
Li Shenron said:
What if some of the major designers or a few key management personalities change within WotC before the next 3 years? You never know... they may not be interested in keeping the promises of their predecessors.

Well, I recall that they essentially said that D&D Insider would facilitate making corrections directly to electronic versions of the books and this would make future revisions (such as 3.5E) unnecessary. It would not, however, preclude a 5th edition eventually.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Ability bonuses

I'm pretty sure its the regular bonus spread + 1/2 level for skill checks. This is close to how it is done in Star Wars Galaxies and it's a pretty easy system to use.

I'd still rather Wizards switched to a bonus only system instead of a score with a bonus conversion formula. It's so much easier to learn and play that way - I tried it with a new group with some new players and they can't understand the score system at all but the bonus system is easy.

CromLoki

First Post
Hi folks, new to these boards and glad to see that there are still a few threads on stuff I care about that aren't too huge to join effectively.

The thing I'd like to see done with 4E Ability Scores is prompted by something a newbie said to me recently as I was teaching him: "What's the point of calling my STR 14 when the bit that matters is +2?"

I think that your basic Ability score should be your Take10 value for that Ability, your bonus then being (Score-10).
Every point of an Ability then makes a difference, and it's way easier to keep track of Ability damage from poisons, undead etc.

Frostmarrow

First Post
I think the reason for this new spread is to tuck away the bonuses needed to hit the sweet spot. The alternative would have been to make lots of bonuses available at first level.

In order to hit the sweet spot (what we experience between levels 4-12) the characters must be reasonably good at doing things. A first level dude with a 5-15% chance of succeeding in his chosen vocation is boring and quite unrealistic.

The designers need to get first level characters to the performance level of a fourth level character right away. This is a good way to do it since it basically provides a blank +3 on everything. +1+3= +4

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Frostmarrow said:
I think the reason for this new spread is to tuck away the bonuses needed to hit the sweet spot. The alternative would have been to make lots of bonuses available at first level.

In order to hit the sweet spot (what we experience between levels 4-12) the characters must be reasonably good at doing things. A first level dude with a 5-15% chance of succeeding in his chosen vocation is boring and quite unrealistic.

The designers need to get first level characters to the performance level of a fourth level character right away. This is a good way to do it since it basically provides a blank +3 on everything. +1+3= +4

How many times does it take before people realize that all of this different ability score modifiers shenanigans is all caused by wild speculation from one person over the Spined Devil stats.

There is no indication that ability scores have changed at all. It is probably as people say, ability modifier + half level, ala Saga.

"If he walks with one sandal, we shall do likewise!"

"It is a sign that we should gather shoes in abundance!"

"No, it is that we should concern not ourselves with things of the body, but of the face and head!"

Last edited:

Remove ads