EN World About accumulated warning points

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Also, what do people get warning points for? I know it's probably written somewhere, but I don't remember.

Not that I am planning on going out of my way to get them. I'm just curious. :)

There's a link on the bottom of every page: Terms and Rules.

If you too far against those guidelines, such that a moderator feels they need to correct you, you are apt to get a warning. So, if you use foul language, insult people, go into real-world religion or politics, engage in copyright piracy, argue with moderation in-thread, support sexism/racism/etc, or are otherwise a rude jerk, you're apt to get a warning.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
When do earning points fall off?

if they don’t fall off then it seems being a long time member to this community is a detriment as you aren’t measuring our quality any more only the amount of posts we have.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
When do earning points fall off?

That is the moderator's choice. The software allows us to make them last mere hours, all the way to making them permanent.

The functionality is new, so our use of it isn't set in stone. For the moment, I suspect that first-offenders, new posters, and small issues are likely to see points last on the order of weeks to months. Folks who really should know better, who have shown a pattern of behavior, or who have been egregious in their behavior can probably expect the points to last longer.

FrogReaver

That is the moderator's choice. The software allows us to make them last mere hours, all the way to making them permanent.

The functionality is new, so our use of it isn't set in stone. For the moment, I suspect that first-offenders, new posters, and small issues are likely to see points last on the order of weeks to months. Folks who really should know better, who have shown a pattern of behavior, or who have been egregious in their behavior can probably expect the points to last longer.

I realize it's something new you are trying... but it would be nice for some kind of points policy especially since some of us already have points showing that are over 1 year old.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I realize it's something new you are trying... but it would be nice for some kind of points policy especially since some of us already have points showing that are over 1 year old.
The points aside, the warnings themselves will remain. That way we can see if a particular behaviour is a one-off or if it’s a pattern going back a long time. If somebody has been doing something for three years, despite warnings warnings over that period, it becomes clear that they have no intention of changing their behaviour. That will inform our decisions.

Sadras

Legend
I first thought you were talking about your weekly D&D game or such and not until halfway done reading did I realize you were talking about the website and people who post crap.

Same. I was thinking 9 infractions!!! Morrus must be heavy on those late-comers.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Just to be clear - the policy is always going to be flexible, just like the rest of moderation.

Anyone worried about one point here or there saving them from moderation action... probably should worry less about the details of the system, and more about their posting habits.

FrogReaver

Just to be clear - the policy is always going to be flexible, just like the rest of moderation.

Anyone worried about one point here or there saving them from moderation action... probably should worry less about the details of the system, and more about their posting habits.

it’s not so much the points I worry about

i worry that mods are human beings and human beings are biased

I worry that mods often sit on their mod whistles to long

I worry that mods don’t actually respond to all rule breaking equally

I worry that there is an inherent lack of fairness in the process that is being laid out

Etc...

Remove ads