• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) About the strength ability

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yeah, people keep pointing that you should just "request mores checks" to make STR useful.
But no one uses encumberance and 90% of the book is about fighting, it's where the core of the game is.
Just asking the players to solve it it's something 5e did i would really want the A5E not to do hahahaha
I always use encumbrance & have even used alternate rules for it like the slot based ones in the darker dungeons 5e supplement. 5e is especially bad in this regard though by virtue of being absurdly generous & needlessly specific at the same time while introducing a number of things to obliviate it as a meaningful thing. From the warlord adept & a few other things it sounds like there are some steps being taken to make it a meaningful concern again though between bulky(?) items & a number of things noting that they allow you to use dexterity instead of strength for both attack and damage rolls.

I'd make all weapon damage be based on Str. EG: The difference in damage between a 100-lb draw-weight bow and a 150-lb draw-weight bow depends on your ability to draw the bow, and that depends on Str, even if aiming is still an issue of Dex. Also, crossbows shouldn't have any stat-based damage boost, but should instead have a value intrinsic to the weapon itself.

Dex-based to-hit for ranged and finesse weapons is fine. This is only a slight shift, though it's debatable whether it breaks the "100% compatibility" guarantee. It still feels compatible to me.

The Martial Maneuvers section goes a long way to making various stats more useful, because you can do so many new things, and I think it will help a lot with the Str vs Dex argument. Part of the current problem is not that Str isn't useful, it's that it's not useful in doing interesting things — primarily due to a lack of skills. Dex is similarly (un-)useful, but the few things it has are at least more visible, and it has more skills that can be applied in different situations.

Horwath

Legend
I'd make all weapon damage be based on Str. EG: The difference in damage between a 100-lb draw-weight bow and a 150-lb draw-weight bow depends on your ability to draw the bow, and that depends on Str, even if aiming is still an issue of Dex. Also, crossbows shouldn't have any stat-based damage boost, but should instead have a value intrinsic to the weapon itself.

Dex-based to-hit for ranged and finesse weapons is fine. This is only a slight shift, though it's debatable whether it breaks the "100% compatibility" guarantee. It still feels compatible to me.

The Martial Maneuvers section goes a long way to making various stats more useful, because you can do so many new things, and I think it will help a lot with the Str vs Dex argument. Part of the current problem is not that Str isn't useful, it's that it's not useful in doing interesting things — primarily due to a lack of skills. Dex is similarly (un-)useful, but the few things it has are at least more visible, and it has more skills that can be applied in different situation

Stalker0

Legend
Damn, instead of everyone jumping on the OP with critiques or houserules or XYZ....maybe you all can just let the designers answer the person's question....or not as they see fit. It doesn't matter what your opinion is on their question, they aren't asking you, they are asking the designers. So why don't you all return to your other threads, and just leave the OP be.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
For Combat Maneuver DC you can use either your Strength or Dexterity, so that's no help, there.

Combat Maneuvers will introduce a whole mess more Strength Saves, but only if your DM uses them against players (Granted, the basic maneuvers like Shove and Grapple require them).

We haven't seen a ton of skill use, yet, but we know that the character sheet doesn't include Attributes in skill use so that DMs and players are actively encouraged to use different stats (Like a Strength Intimidation). But that could also go the other way.

See? Dex based Intimidation check!

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what the designers and developers do to "Make Strength Relevant". It's up to us at the gaming table to make it important. And if you don't, it won't be.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

The Martial Maneuvers section goes a long way to making various stats more useful, because you can do so many new things, and I think it will help a lot with the Str vs Dex argument. Part of the current problem is not that Str isn't useful, it's that it's not useful in doing interesting things — primarily due to a lack of skills. Dex is similarly (un-)useful, but the few things it has are at least more visible, and it has more skills that can be applied in different situations.
Higher pound draws require strength to keep steady and accurate and con to keep them drawn protracted periods in prep while expecting a prey and perception aka Wis for targetting through cover. The force of the bow contributes to penetration past armor.

Galileji

First Post
Thumbs up for strength being too weak of an ability. Strength should be made more relevant with respect to other abilities, especially with respect to dexterity.

Galileji

First Post
Thumbs up for strength being too weak of an ability. Strength should be made more relevant with respect to other abilities, especially with respect to dexterity.
(Sorry for double post, I don't know how to delete this one)

Faolyn

(she/her)
(Sorry for double post, I don't know how to delete this one)
You can't, AFAICT. Most people just delete the text and write something like "deleted" or "oops, double post" instead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads