Level Up (A5E) about the Transforming Cloak magic item (Salamander cloak version to be more specific)

ThatOneGuyLol

Villager
so according to the magic item description
While you are attuned to and wearing a transforming
cloak, you gain resistance to a type of damage and
you can use an action to activate an elemental form
that lasts for 1 hour, until you fall unconscious, or
you use a bonus action to end it. Once you have used
the cloak to take on an elemental form, you cannot
use that property again until you have fnished
a long rest. The resistance you gain and the type
of your elemental form is listed on Table: Transforming Cloaks

[...] Salamander Cloak. This cloak appears to be
made of living flames, though it does not burn.
While your fire form is active you gain immunity to fire damage, your weapon attacks deal
fire damage, when a creature hits you with a
melee weapon attack you take 1d6 fire damage
you can fit through spaces at least an inch wide
without squeezing, and you gain a climb speed
equal to your Speed
so im basically immune to all kind of melee attacks while on fire form or did i get something wrong?

...i uh...that might be a mistake. either interpretation (it converts the attack's damage to 1d6 fire or it adds 1d6 fire to the attack's damage) is redundant because you're immune to fire anyway, so there's no reason it should be rolling a die.

ThatOneGuyLol

Villager
...i uh...that might be a mistake. either interpretation (it converts the attack's damage to 1d6 fire or it adds 1d6 fire to the attack's damage) is redundant because you're immune to fire anyway, so there's no reason it should be rolling a die.
yeah i imagined it was a mistake too because 1 hour of immunity to ALL kind of melee attacks is very big for a very rare item (considering Armor of Invulnerability is a thing), just wanted to make sure it was a mistake

so according to the magic item description

so im basically immune to all kind of melee attacks while on fire form or did i get something wrong?
I think it's a typo, I'd read it as "when a creature hits you with a melee weapon attack it takes 1d6 fire damage".
So you'd have fire immunity and lower powered fire shield, plus you deal fire damage. Seems consistent

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's definitely not super clear -- you take 1d6 fire damage but you're immune to fire damage. I can see the confusion! I'll ping the designers for some clarification.

ThatOneGuyLol

Villager
Clarification recieved; it's a typo -- its creatures who attack you who take the 1d6 fire dmaage. The sentence should read "when a creature hits you with a melee weapon attack it takes 1d6 fire damage".
tyvm for getting the designers on this just to make this even more clear!

Remove ads