About to play 4e Gamma World, but a couple questions first...

Feeroper

Explorer
Hey everyone,

I DM a group of 4e players, and we have been playing together for a while. This weekend we were going to have a couple back to back epic D&D sessions as it is a long weekend for us here in Ontario, Canada. So we got to talking and decided that we will throw in a GW game inbetween as a sort of break between games.

Ive had the GW box for a while now, but havent read the book/rules for it yet. I know it uses a 4e system though. Would I be able to read up on it tonight or tommorrow (the night before we start playing) and understand how to play fine, or does it take a little getting used to

On the flip side of that, my players only started playing RPGs with 4e, would they have an easy time understanding the rules (they are pretty cometant with the 4e rules).

Basically I just want to know if I can get a game of GW going with relative ease considering it is in 2 days and I only have a little bit of time to learn it - or should I just wait for another day so I can have as much time as needed to learn and teach the game. Thanks!

Retreater

Legend
Your group should have no problem with it. I'm a fairly regular 4E player but not DM and picked up GMing GW with no problem. My players are not regular 4E players but picked it up quickly.

We've been having a load of fun with it. Our "one shot" session is now going on to its third session this weekend (and bringing in new players too).

Retreater

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I think you'll be fine. Gamma World is simpler and sillier than 4E.

In fact, you should have one of the other people run GW so you get a chance to play.

MrMyth

First Post
Character Creation is the biggest difference, and is very easy to handle. Outside of that, it basically plays like 4E. Only thing I would read up on is Alpha Mutations and Omega Tech, and you should be good to go.

There are only two things I'd point out, mainly because if you go in expecting 4E mechanics, these could confuse you:
1) There are no healing surges and no daily powers. Characters heal to full whenever they rest. In-combat healing is relatively limited - everyone get's a Second Wind (a minor action for everyone) and a few items or powers might heal. As such, combats tend to be quicker and more brutal affairs than in 4E.
2) 4E adds 1/2 level to attacks, skills, defenses, etc. Gamma World, not having bonuses from feats, items, etc, instead mostly scales everything directly to level.

scourger

Explorer
We had little trouble with Gamma World, although we had only played a little 4e. We have played a lot of d20 & prior editions, though. The best thing I did was copy the character sheets from the boxed set. Those have all the information that a player needs, especially an experienced player; if they read all the fine print. It's a great game, and I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.

Remove ads