D&D 5E Absorb Elements, Shield Master, and Reactions for Saves

5ekyu

Hero
Wow a lot of words and you said nothing to actually counter my point. You just tried rewording it. Of the trigger is for an OA is "leave your threatened space," what did I say was wrong? If the trigger for shield is "when attacked," again, what was wrong with what I said, because you literally just said the same thing.
I think after many many posts back and forth, all I will say is you seem to have and be very very attached to dome fifferdnt PHB thsn I use and others here may use. If that PHB and whatever its rules are working for you, that's great.

But it's not the one commonly in play.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wow a lot of words and you said nothing to actually counter my point.

I did. You're just ignoring it. Which isn't persuasive.

You just tried rewording it. Of the trigger is for an OA is "leave your threatened space," what did I say was wrong? If the trigger for shield is "when attacked," again, what was wrong with what I said, because you literally just said the same thing.

Which is why I said you're ignoring my point. Yes, I did say the same thing - and demonstrated the standard you're using for Shield Master and Absorb Elements differs from the standard you're using for OAs, and asked why. To which you responded "you didn't counter my point" without answering the question.

Except for readied actions, all the reactions we've mentioned come after the trigger and not before. You never declare intent prior to the trigger. So why are you insisting on declaring intent prior to the trigger for absorb elements and shield mastery, but not for other reactions? That's the question you're ignoring.

the Jester

Legend
Wow a lot of words and you said nothing to actually counter my point. You just tried rewording it. Of the trigger is for an OA is "leave your threatened space," what did I say was wrong? If the trigger for shield is "when attacked," again, what was wrong with what I said, because you literally just said the same thing.

Are you even reading peoples' replies? Or the rules you're referencing? The trigger for shield, as has been stated OVER AND OVER AGAIN in this thread by multiple posters now, is being hit by an attack, not being attacked.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Folks, there seems to be consensus on how triggers and reactions work except for one person who is arguing things blatantly not part of the rules, be it requirements to declare intent before the game would allow a trigger as a possibility, real-life time to point at someone, or whatever.

I know we all have that "someone on the internet is wrong!" urge to correct them, but we can let it be. We've answered this question. Don't feed the trolls.

Remove ads