Acid Arrow's Secondary Attack

Mahlice

First Post
I thought of that as well. Since its splashing all adjacent squares. The only clarifier on that though is 'Each Creature...blah blah blah'. Thus it does not imply that it would effect the same creature with its secondary effect, though it would be nice. :devil:

bjorn2bwild

First Post
I tend to think of acid arrow as creating enough acid to cover the surface of the primary target. When the target is hit, it riles back in anguish and some of that acid gets thrown off of it and splashes in the nearby surrounding area.

With respect to the original question of range, I thought of something that may add to the discussion.

If acid arrow was only intended to affect targets within range 20 of the caster, it would be phrased more like the fighter power Giant's Wake (phb 81).

it allows for a secondary attack, and is phrased:

Secondary Target: Each enemy adjacent to the primary target and within your melee reach.

So, my argument would be, if acid arrow was intended to attack secondary targets within range 20, I think it would be phrased as:

Secondary Target: each creature adjacent to the primary target and within range 20 from the caster.

Kordeth

First Post
The range of the secondary attack is "adjacent to the primary target." That's "otherwise noted," so the allies are still hit.

Exen Trik

First Post
Huh, so it looks like the far off allies do get it, as written. I guess you could play that off as the dragon thrashing from the hit, and spraying the acid around that way.

Otherwise, I think I'd want to houserule the secondary attack as a Burst 1, and avoid all this tomfoolery.

Venthrac

First Post
Thank you for taking the time to reply with your thoughts, all.

After reading over this, I do think all targets adjacent to the original target would be subjected to the secondary attack. That's pretty common for a Wizard power, as most of them seem to target everything in their area, and not just enemies. I also agree with those who view the language of "every adjacent character" as being a case of specific beats general, and superceding the rules in the PHB.

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
FWIW, I was the DM in this situation and I had started the session intending to use a gargantuan green dragon, hence the 4x5 square size dragon. I decided to change it to just a large green dragon before the fight, and forgot to change the base size to 2x2. :)

erik_the_guy

First Post
So acid arrow has a bigger explosion when you hit a bigger target? What if you attack the tarrasque and he is covered in kobolds? Do they all get hit by the explosion? Don't ask me why the tarrasque is covered in kobolds, I can dream if I want!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Force Orb is potentially a more interesting question, since its secondary attack hits each creature adjacent to the initial creature or object.

How likely is it that the Tarrasque will be surrounded by a hundred kobolds? Perhaps not likely.

But how likely is it that a couple of dozen minions might be seated at a long table? Standing on a large rug? Carrying the God-Emperor's oversized palanquin? Congregated around the Great Altar?

Throw a Force Orb at the palanquin, and not only do you get a secondary attack on the God-Emperor, but also on every creature carrying it...

-Hyp.

Remove ads