Acquisitions Inc. Livestreamed D&D Game

Over the weekend at PAX East, WotC's Chris Perkins ran the Acquisitions Inc. celebrity D&D game, which was livestreamed on the web. "Our entrepreneurial heroes look forward to some much needed R&R in Baldur’s Gate after having rescued four bronze dragon eggs from a nefarious green dragon duo. Brace for impact as Jim Darkmagic (Mike Krahulik), Omin Dran (Jerry Holkins), Binwin Bronzebottom (Scott Kurtz), and Viari (Patrick Rothfuss) team up with Dungeon Master Chris Perkins to defend the honor of Acquisitions Inc’s newest chapter house against the rise of Elemental Evil."

Over the weekend at PAX East, WotC's Chris Perkins ran the Acquisitions Inc. celebrity D&D game, which was livestreamed on the web. "Our entrepreneurial heroes look forward to some much needed R&R in Baldur’s Gate after having rescued four bronze dragon eggs from a nefarious green dragon duo. Brace for impact as Jim Darkmagic (Mike Krahulik), Omin Dran (Jerry Holkins), Binwin Bronzebottom (Scott Kurtz), and Viari (Patrick Rothfuss) team up with Dungeon Master Chris Perkins to defend the honor of Acquisitions Inc’s newest chapter house against the rise of Elemental Evil."

Click on the photo below to jump to the archived video footage. It's about 2-hours long, and contains some adult language.

pax.jpg

Rhenny

Adventurer
I thought this was a great session. It was less produced and more real. It was very funny and it developed an interesting story. Even with all the "toys" (the mecha-beholder and the iron man suit) there was still tension of possible death or disaster.

At one point, I chuckled because Mike asked if Jim Darkmagic could do something (I forgot what it was at the moment) and Perkins said "no." Then Perkins made a meta comment basically saying "did I say no?"

Most of what they do on stage is improv, "yes..and" stuff. That's one style. It is intended to make a better story. That's why Perkins isnt a slave to the rules.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I am definitely going to steal the moving rooms idea and use it in a game someday. Maybe it will be a recurring dungeon the PC's visit, where the layout differs every time they visit.

Of course, they will eventually clear out the dungeon and make it their headquarters. Duh.

Lochnivar

Villager
AI games are for pure entertainment vaguely framed in the context of DnD. I take it for the humor factor. DnD has always been about friends hanging around a table talking crap to each other.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Demonstrating proper rules is not at all a priority of Acq Inc. The whole point of this production is to show (not tell) the product, "Dungeons & Dragons." Not 4e Dungeons & Dragons. Not 5e Dungeons & Dragons. Dungeons & Dragons.. That is: a group of friends gathered around a table, roleplaying, having fun.

That's why even though Acq Inc started back with the launch of 4e, it's still going strong with 5e. It's why it's so effective at enticing new players to try the game. And inspiring veteran players to come back. Rules do matter, but Acq Inc is effective not because it does or doesn't demonstrate the rules for what happens when the roll comes up 20. It's effective because the whole table flips out, the DM goes over the top in describing the hit, and everyone at the table is obviously having a great time together.

Acq Inc is not for everyone, of course. But it is for the 2,000 people who pack the main theater of PAX East, and the 2,500 people who fill Seattle's Benaroya Hall symphony venue at PAX Prime, and the hundreds of thousands who watch the show on YouTube and Twitch. It's evidently very effective at getting people to buy the game and join our community--check Perkin's feed.

And that's why I love Acq Inc. I care not one bit about proper rule play. I already know the rules. I care about the entertainment value. And more than that, I care about more people getting inspired to play this game that I care about so deeply, and which has brought so much joy to my life. I want as many people as possible to share in that joy. That's what it's all about.

Remove ads

Remove ads