• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adding additional "thematic/textured" spells: Hexblade

thosfsull

First Post
Which spells would you add to broaden the theme of the hexblade? Any source is good enough for me, if you can cite it too, that would be greatly appreciated for me to reference it.

Thanks in advance, as always.

Machiavelli

First Post
Wow, that's ALOT of spells, Wycen, if you really mean "any spell" and the OP holds to "any source"!

A fun one:
Backbiter, Lvl 1 Sor/Wiz (Spell Compendium, but I know it's elsewhere) You essentially curse someone's weapon, so that it attacks them. Right up a Hexblade's alley.

There are plenty more, that just comes from my recent memory.

wayne62682

First Post
I didn't actually do it but I was going to ask my DM if I could add "blade of blood" to the Hexblade list.

The problem with doing it is that WotC nerfed the HB by having spells be higher level for them than for others.. so Blade of Blood might be a 1st level spell but at what level do you give it to the Hexblade? Case in point: The assassin spell that doubles your threat range, adds 1d6 damage, etc. (Critical Strike?) is 2nd level for a hexblade and 1st level for everyone else, so a Hexblade won't ever see it until he's high enough level that it wouldn't really matter.

I came close to asking if I could just use the Assassin spell list entirely, since at least that gets some updates in newer books.. but I was afraid to because I figured it was unbalanced since the Hexblade DOES get some of those spells, but at a higher level than the Assassin.

Wycen

Explorer
Well, I was really thinking of spells from just the PHB and Spell Compendium. Certainly some of them aren't appropriate, but mostly because they are too high level, Mordenkainen's Sword and Black Blade of Disaster are the two popping into mind.

I haven't really looked at the hexblades spell levels compared to other classes. I've chosen it as a forced multiclass for one of the sometime/someday campaigns we sometimes play, but since I'm going to be 8th or so level before that happens, I haven't given it much thought. I think the idea that you can cast in light armor is supposed to balance that out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads