D&D 5E Adding proficiency to damage?

dave2008

Legend
I generally recommend this concept for "monsters" as it increases their damage. However, I could see reserving it for "brute" type monsters. For PCs, I am inclined to make it a fighter feature and maybe everyone else can get access to it via a feat. Maybe, if the fighter takes the feat they get double prof. bonus to damage?

EDIT: I've thought about it a little more and for simplicity sake I am on board with your proposal in the OP (and use it for PCS and monsters). I would probably do it a little different in my game, but for simplicity sake your proposal is elegant and makes a lot of sense.

EDIT 2: Go with your plan, but after thinking about it some more, I would make it a fighter feature for melee attacks in my games (and may do so when we start our next campaign). That is the niche I want for the fighter: #1 melee damage dealer.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
EDIT 2: Go with your plan, but after thinking about it some more, I would make it a fighter feature for melee attacks in my games (and may do so when we start our next campaign). That is the niche I want for the fighter: #1 melee damage dealer.
I like the idea to make fighters stand out a bit more. What about making it a favored weapon feature where they choose a weapon like longsword, to get the bonus on.

As for the idea of everyone getting to add this to damage, I'm not seeing where it would help make the game better/faster/smoother. It is another layer that may speed up combat some. Would it make more people play certain combos to min/max it- maybe. If that is what you are rewarding, that is what you will get.

dave2008

Legend
I like the idea to make fighters stand out a bit more. What about making it a favored weapon feature where they choose a weapon like longsword, to get the bonus on.
I like that idea.

Favored Weapon​

Choose a weapon you are proficient in, dagger, short sword, long sword, etc., as your favored weapon. When wielding this weapon you can add your proficiency bonus to your damage when you hit a target.

Would do it via fighting styles:
3 categories:
one handed melee weapons(unarmed included),
twohanded melee weapons,
ranged weapons

ranged and one handed weapons get prof bonus to damage,
2Handed weapons get 2×prof bonus to damage

You've just made Sharpshooter, PAM and GWM even more lucrative.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think that's a simple and elegant idea, helping with the fact that many of my players dont really understant why they apply Prof. Bonus on roll to hit, but not on damage rolls.

I'd keep it only for weapon attacks in using proficient weapons. Sure, the fighters and monks are the one who gain the most from it, but they sure need the extra love and a few damage bonus wont push them into OP territory, far from it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Not the be-all-end-all, just a facet, but 5e already has imbalances when one side has a much larger share of the action economy. Doing something like this to a horde of weak monsters might end up bringing up their power too much, and the flip side this would likely exasperate the party > solo foe issues that 5e has a problem with.

Blue

I like that idea.

Favored Weapon​

Choose a weapon you are proficient in, dagger, short sword, long sword, etc., as your favored weapon. When wielding this weapon you can add your proficiency bonus to your damage when you hit a target.
This one is rather overpowered compared to Dueling style, and no one is complaining about Dueling.

The bonus starts the same but increases from there.
It can apply to non 1H weapons. And since none of the 2H or Ranged weapon fighting styles grant a bonus to damage, it will stack with all of them. Imagine either through Champion or multiclassing ending up with Archery for +2 to Hit and this for +PROF to damage. Combine with Crossbow Expert to get even more attacks.

In addition it falls for one of the traps of some earlier editions - locking characters into a specific weapon instead of just a general category. That means that DMs that give out random treasure may find that the Battleaxe +2, while identical to the longsword mechanically in every way, isn't something the character will use because they would lose this bonus. It leads to either requiring customization of items found which not every DM does, or leaving one character behind because they have very narrow focus on what they will use.

Blue

Would do it via fighting styles:
3 categories:
one handed melee weapons(unarmed included),
twohanded melee weapons,
ranged weapons

ranged and one handed weapons get prof bonus to damage,
2Handed weapons get 2×prof bonus to damage
Mostly because of feats and features, but 2H weapons already are superior damage dealers. This grants yet another bonus to them. (And also penalizes the small races that can not use them effectively.)

Blue

I'd keep it only for weapon attacks in using proficient weapons. Sure, the fighters and monks are the one who gain the most from it, but they sure need the extra love and a few damage bonus wont push them into OP territory, far from it.
I agree that fighters need love. But the one place they don't need it is damage - that's a place they already are at the top of the curve. More feats, quicker ASI advancement, good features around that, and at higher levels more attacks than any other martial.

dave2008

Legend
This one is rather overpowered compared to Dueling style, and no one is complaining about Dueling.
This is not a fighting style. It is just another class feature. It would stack with your fighting style. Though I did forger to clarify it has to be a melee weapon.
In addition it falls for one of the traps of some earlier editions - locking characters into a specific weapon instead of just a general category.
That is not a trap, but a feature for me. Though I think it does make sense to offer some type of re-training. I was just not sure how to word it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases