D&D 5E Adding proficiency to damage?

G

Guest 7034872

Yeah, about the only potential worry I see is this, and it runs on the assumption this bonus applies to monsters and NPCs as well as PCs: all else held equal, PC death becomes more common now. I think that'd be fine, but I acknowledge some players dislike it.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yeah, about the only potential worry I see is this, and it runs on the assumption this bonus applies to monsters and NPCs as well as PCs: all else held equal, PC death becomes more common now. I think that'd be fine, but I acknowledge some players dislike it.
I am not a fan of having PC only rules as I mentioned in the OP, but the idea of an orc average 11 damage instead of 9 is just terrifying IMO for 1st level PCs! They could already one-hit many 1st-level PCs and with this idea even more so. YIKES! :eek:

We'll see. Hopefully I'll get more feedback on it during the week. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for your input.

best gains for
Eldritch blast and agonizing blast and even better with quicken meta magic
Two weapon fighting
Polearm master, crossbow expert

less gains
Most other full casters.

Weiley31

Legend
I always found it weird that Proficiency adds to everything else, showing your character getting better and better, and yet, the very same thing doesn't apply to actually causing damage. I mean yeah, it helps ya hit things better via the Attack Roll, but still.

One of the Virtues (AKA: Feats) from Adventures in Middle Earth 5E actually legit adds your Proficiency Score to your AC if your Sword and Board (Swordmaster). And then there is another Virtue called Fell-Handed and that "raises the damage of all your successful melee attacks by half your proficiency bonus, rounded up." There is also a ranged version of Fell-Handed for ranged attacks called Dour-Handed.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I always found it weird that Proficiency adds to everything else, showing your character getting better and better, and yet, the very same thing doesn't apply to actually causing damage. I mean yeah, it helps ya hit things better via the Attack Roll, but still.
Yeah, it is a bit odd... :cautious:

One of the Virtues (AKA: Feats) from Adventures in Middle Earth 5E actually legit adds your Proficiency Score to your AC if your Sword and Board (Swordmaster). And then there is another Virtue called Fell-Handed and that "raises the damage of all your successful melee attacks by half your proficiency bonus, rounded up." There is also a ranged version of Fell-Handed for ranged attacks called Dour-Handed.
I KNEW I liked that game for some reason (well, I haven't played it yet but I have the main book...).

FWIW, a LONG time ago we had a house-rule you added half-proficiency to AC IIRC--- frankly, it has been a while and we change house-rules like our pants LOL! (which is often, in case you were wondering. ;) )

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
My main concern is that it benefits some classes/builds more than others. At 5th level a monk gets a +9-12 extra damage a round, while a rogue gets +3, and most wizards get +0.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
My main concern is that it benefits some classes/builds more than others. At 5th level a monk gets a +9-12 extra damage a round, while a rogue gets +3, and most wizards get +0.
Wizards would get the same +3 as rogues. Classes with more attacks (such as monks) would get more chances for improved damage, but IME most players think their damage is suboptimal anyway.

I would consider making it a once per turn thing, but then it is still confusing (if not more so). The biggest point would be so that for attacks (whether weapon or spell), the attack modifier and damage modifier would be equal--to eliminate confusion.

Horwath

Legend
Would do it via fighting styles:
3 categories:
one handed melee weapons(unarmed included),
twohanded melee weapons,
ranged weapons

ranged and one handed weapons get prof bonus to damage,
2Handed weapons get 2×prof bonus to damage

Remove ads