Critical Role Additional Voice Cast Revealed for Legend of Vox Machina

A star-studded voice cast has been unveiled for Critical Role's animated show, and it includes David Tennant (Doctor Who), Gina Torres (Firefly), Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine), Felicia Day (The Guild), Dominic Monaghan (The Lord of the Rings), and many more. The full list is below! https://www.enworld.org/threads/legend-of-vox-machina-trailer-released.685277/ Critical Role’s The...

A star-studded voice cast has been unveiled for Critical Role's animated show, and it includes David Tennant (Doctor Who), Gina Torres (Firefly), Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine), Felicia Day (The Guild), Dominic Monaghan (The Lord of the Rings), and many more. The full list is below!

Critical Role’s The Legend of Vox Machina will be released on Amazon streaming in batches of three episodes. Season 1 will release on Amazon Prime Video as follows:
  • Friday, January 28th: Episodes 1-3
  • Friday, February 4th: Episodes 4-6
  • Friday, February 11th: Episodes 7-9
  • Friday, February 18th: Episodes 10-12

• Stephanie Beatriz as Lady Kima
  • Anjali Bhimani as Head Cleric
  • Eugene Byrd as Jarrett
  • Esmé Creed-Miles as Cassandra de Rolo
  • Felicia Day as Captain of Emon
  • Darin De Paul as Kerrion Stonefell
  • Grey Griffin as Delilah Briarwood
  • Tony Hale as Sir Fince
  • Bobby Hall aka Logic as Palace Guard
  • Kelly Hu as Dr. Anna Ripley
  • Sunil Malhotra as Gilmore
  • Rory McCann as Duke Vedmire
  • Max Mittelman as Desmond
  • Dominic Monaghan as Archibald Desnay
  • Khary Payton as Sovereign Uriel Tal’Dorei
  • Mason Alexander Park as the Tavern Keeper
  • Stacey Raymond as Bryn
  • Stephen Root as Professor Anders
  • David Tennant as General Krieg
  • Tracie Thoms as the Everlight
  • Gina Torres as Keeper Yennen
  • Indira Varma as Lady Allura Vysoren

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tennant playing an undead general?! OK!
Krieg isn't undead. He's the military advisor for Sovereign Uriel on the Tal'dorei counsel.

He is also secretly the blue dragon member of the Chroma Conclave.

With that in mind, I imagine Krieg is only in the opening arc, I wonder if it will be setting up for the following big story arc in the campaign for season 2.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
One thing I did notice in the video was that one of the characters is called a 'half-giant' (despite looking like a goliath) so it makes me wonder if perhaps they couldn't (or chose not to) use any D&D-isms in their story and instead it's more genericized fantasy? Which also makes me think that for those who were curious, we might not see Joe Manganiello as Arkhan The Cruel in season two... since that character appeared in the ending Vecna arc and they most likely wouldn't (or couldn't) be able to use Vecna in the show. So they would instead choose a different story arc instead.
I think this is for copyright reasons. They do the same things in their published sourcebooks. The show uses the D&D Dawn Pantheon (and Sarenrae from Pathfinder), but for copyright reasons those names are all changed to godly titles. Sarenrae is The Everlight. Ioun is The Knowing Mistress. Pelor is the Dawnfather. Etc. And half-giant might be just more "new viewer" friendly than something more specific to D&D.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Goliath is named for a biblical giant remember. Some folk might have religious issues with it's use in this context.
That's probably less a relevant concern than Critical Role moving away from using terms and IP that aren't in the basic rules made available by WotC for use. The goliath, as a race, isn't in the basic rules. In the new Tal'Dorei book, Grog is statted out as a half-giant, not a goliath.

kosmosis

Villager
One thing I did notice in the video was that one of the characters is called a 'half-giant' (despite looking like a goliath) so it makes me wonder if perhaps they couldn't (or chose not to) use any D&D-isms in their story and instead it's more genericized fantasy? Which also makes me think that for those who were curious, we might not see Joe Manganiello as Arkhan The Cruel in season two... since that character appeared in the ending Vecna arc and they most likely wouldn't (or couldn't) be able to use Vecna in the show. So they would instead choose a different story arc instead.
Yeah, I think certain D&D-isms were omitted. Not sure if you have seen another trailer, but Scanlan sings out "Scanlan's Hand" instead of "Bigby's Hand".

That's probably less a relevant concern than Critical Role moving away from using terms and IP that aren't in the basic rules made available by WotC for use. The goliath, as a race, isn't in the basic rules. In the new Tal'Dorei book, Grog is statted out as a half-giant, not a goliath.
IIRC, I think the section of the book covering half-giants says that they are also sometimes called either goliaths or stoneborn.

The way it handles dragonborn is a different situation. The original book used the term dragonborn, but also made a distinction between tailed draconians and tailless ravenites. Explorer's Guide to Wildemount changed the term "draconican" to "draconblood", possibly because there's already a well known set of D&D monsters called the draconians. The new book doesn't use term dragonborn, instead replacing it with "dragonblood" while also noting that the tailed dragonbloods are known as both draconians and draconbloods (so you could be a dragonblood draconblood).

IF they can make it that far, I think Amazon clout will let them swing the usage of Vecna. I'm not sure if they will, because toy licenses will be a pain, but I wouldn't put it past Amazon and CR to come to some Spiderman style arrangement with WotC considering how much PR it represents.

In the third episode they refer to Vecna as "The Whispered One," so I think they will continue that IP-free title.
It's certainly possible, but I don't count anything in the first season. They have to play it safe right now. We will see how much clout they have a couple seasons in.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads