Adobe Reader 7.0 is out; much better than 6.0

Zulithe

Explorer
I just installed it and I'm impressed by how fast it is. It starts up faster and even displays PDFs faster (when changing pages on really large or complex documents, etc.)

Since a lot of d20 publishers distribute their stuff in PDF format, I think this is a relavent thing to post here. :)

New features overview

As with earlier versions of Adobe Reader, the free Adobe Reader 7.0 software allows you to open and read any PDF document and fill in PDF forms. But Adobe Reader 7.0 also offers significant new features and enhancements that greatly extend the flexibility of Adobe PDF documents. If the creator of an Adobe PDF document has assigned it additional usage rights, more tools and features are available to users of Adobe Reader, allowing you to save form data, sign documents, participate in email and browser-based document reviews, and attach PDF and non-PDF files to a PDF document. If you open a document that has these additional usage rights, a Document Message Bar displays the additional tools required to work with the document.
Language support has been extended, a new autosave feature guards against losing your work in case of a power failure, and new accessibility features make Reader even easier to use for motor- and vision-impaired users. Depending on your preference settings, Adobe Reader can automatically download updates in the background, even while other web transactions are occurring.

Additional language support
The extended language support in Adobe Reader 7.0 allows you to view, search, and print PDF documents that contain Central and Eastern European languages. Forms entry, comments, and digital signatures are also supported in these languages. If you open a document that requires the installation of additional fonts, you are prompted to install the appropriate language font kit using the Check For Updates Now command.

Filling in forms
If a PDF form contains interactive form fields, you can fill in the form electronically and submit the form by email or over the web. Reader also lets you spellcheck your entries. If the form author added special usage rights to the PDF document, you can also save the form data.
PDF forms may contain bar code form fields that typically appear as a series of vertical bars with a unique set of characters underneath the bars. You can't manually enter data into the bar code form field, but the bars and characters of these interactive barcode fields change to encrypt the data that you've entered into other form fields in the PDF.

Reviewing and approving
If the creator of the PDF document assigned additional usage rights, you can review PDF documents via email or the web. (In Mac OS, browser-based reviews are supported through Safari.) You're provided with a Commenting toolbar and--if you're part of a tracked review--specific instructions for opening the document, adding comments, and returning the document to the review initiator.
You can add your comments as a file attachment, or record an audio comment if there's a microphone connected to the computer. A new Callout tool lets you create text box markups that point to specific areas of a PDF document. And you can group markups so that your comments behave as a single comment. A comments tab gives you easy access to your own and other reviewers' comments.
In the Asian (Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) version of Adobe Reader 7.0, you may also be invited to participate in a workflow that requires approval from multiple branches of an organization. In this type of workflow, PDF documents are sent to participants in sequential order. (Only users of Acrobat 7.0 Professional can organize a tracked review.)

Document security and digital signatures
With Adobe Reader 7.0, you may receive an Adobe PDF document with attachments that are bundled into a secure electronic envelope (eEnvelope) designed to protect documents during transit. When you open the eEnvelope, you can extract the file attachments and save them to disk. The saved files are identical to the original file attachments and are no longer encrypted when saved.
Acrobat 7.0 users can create Adobe PDF documents using security policies that can expire and revoke documents, as well as maintain accountability by keeping track of who opens protected documents. You can only open these secure PDF documents if you have the necessary passwords or are on the list of approved recipients.
You can sign a PDF document only if the document includes additional usage rights assigned by the creator of the document.

File attachments
Acrobat 7.0 users can attach non-PDF and PDF files or pages from files to their Adobe PDF documents. If you move one of these PDF documents, the attached files or pages automatically move with the document. If the creator of the PDF file has assigned additional usage rights, you can attach files, edit attached files, and save your edits. A description of each attached file appears in the Attachments tab of the navigation pane.

Additional new features
Adobe Reader 7.0 includes many other new and enhanced features to improve how you work.
Updates
Depending on your Updates preferences, Adobe Reader can automatically check for critical updates and notifications. If you disable this feature, you can manually check for updates by choosing Help > Check For Updates Now.
Find toolbar
The Find toolbar provides a basic set of options for searching for text in the active Adobe PDF document. You can locate a word, series of words, or partial word.
Recover your work
The Autosave feature guards against losing your work in case of a power failure by incrementally saving file changes to a specified location. The original file is not modified. (Autosave is available only for documents that have additional usage rights.)
View 3D content
The 3D plug-in allows you to view and navigate embedded 3D content in PDF files. Now, you can experience high-quality 3D environments with realistic lighting and motion. Acrobat 7.0 Professional is required to embed 3D content.
Set up for accessibility
For vision- and motor-impaired users, a new Accessibility Setup Assistant makes it easy to change how PDF documents appear on-screen and how they're read by a screen reader, screen magnifier, or other assistive technology. In Windows, this wizard starts automatically the first time Adobe Reader detects assistive technology on your system. In Mac OS, you can start the wizard from a menu.
Read Out Loud
You can use the Read Out Loud feature to read form fields out loud as you tab through them.
Improved Help
The Help system has been improved for vision- and motion-impaired users.
Subscribe to digital periodicals and journals
Periodicals can be obtained in the same way as Digital Editions. When you subscribe to a digital periodical and download the first issue, Adobe Reader asks you how often to check for the availability of subsequent issues.
Overprint preview
The Overprint Preview mode lets you see (on-screen) the effects of ink aliasing in the printed output. A prepress service provider may create an ink alias if a document contains two similar spot colors and only one is required, for example. Spot colors aliased to other spot colors or to process colors are reflected directly in the open document.
View PDF documents in the browser (Mac OS)
Adobe Reader works automatically with Safari to make viewing Adobe PDF documents on the web easy. The first time you open Adobe Reader, your system automatically is configured to use Adobe Reader to open PDF files in your browser.
Here is the download link, from Adobe's FTP:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/7x/7.0/enu/AdbeRdr70_enu_full.exe

GentleGiant

Explorer
Faster indeed!
Anyone know how to have it open up in the last directory you used? I'm tired of having it open in my documents folder every single time I start it up. None of my pdf's are located there.
I tried looking through the options thing, couldn't find anything, but maybe I just overlooked something

reanjr

First Post
Andre said:
Anyone know why I get a firewall violation every time I click on this link? There's no reason for information to be going out from my computer just to download this. Yet when I refuse to allow the communication, the download fails.

There are two different ways to access FTP, passive and active. The adobe site obviously uses active.

Your computer contacts the server and sends it a PORT # command to indicate which port for the server to transmit on. The server then sends an ACK (acknowledge) back to say it understands and then tries to initiate a connection to the client on the specified port. The client then sends an ACK back on the originating port to confirm that all is well.

On your end, it looks like the server is initiating a connection. Just accept the connection and it'll work fine.

reanjr

First Post
GentleGiant said:
Faster indeed!
Anyone know how to have it open up in the last directory you used? I'm tired of having it open in my documents folder every single time I start it up. None of my pdf's are located there.
I tried looking through the options thing, couldn't find anything, but maybe I just overlooked something

There is a way to hack that in using an Windows API call to make the program remap a registry key (in this case, the one indicating the location of the quick folders in the Open dialog) to a custom one. If this doesn't make sense to you, then it probably isn't something you should do.

[edit] And this isn't something that is considered a problem. In fact, I believe any program advertised using the windows logo has to work this way by default. My suggestion is to just start using the My Documents folder. It really does make things easier since every program and its mother goes there by default. That's sort of the idea.

Alternatively you can try placing a link to the appropriate folder in your My Documents folder. Depending on the way Reader is set to use the Open dialog, you can just open that shortcut and be where you need to be.

Last edited:

Remove ads