D&D 5E Adv. League: What's in it for a GM?

Emirikol

Adventurer
I'm looking at DMing for Adventurer's League. What's in it for me as a DM? I have zero control over the set-up, timing, events and the players at the table right? Why would I slave myself out for that? I've run other OP stuff over the years, and this just gives me an odd feeling compared to the other OP stuff I've run.

Thoughts?

jh

DnD_ADVL.png

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
I'm not really sure. I only ran OP when I didn't have a regular game. I've never been a huge fan of OP as a DM or Player, outside of conventions.

Coredump

Explorer
Why play in AL? Because you like to play.
Why DM in AL? Because you like to DM.

Whether you play or DM, there are significant differences between a home or OP setting..... Some people don't like playing in OP, some don't like DMing in OP.

I would prefer a home game, but that isn't an option currently, and the other players at the LGS are pretty solid. I am thinking about DMing, because I like DMing.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Loving to DM is a great ideal to be sure. I'm just not seeing why it's worth all the trouble compared to other org.play stuff out there. It is a HUGE hassle to set up the game, as you have to go through the game store. I've been sitting on my bum for 3 weeks waiting for a response from our local stores as they don't even know what's up. Remember when we could just "order an adventure" and "run the adventure?"

Now it's like a bureaucratic nightmare! What kind of incentive is that?

jh

GlobeOfDankness

Banned
Banned
if you think of DMing dungeons and dragons as slave labor then i doubt anything you read here will make it fun for you.

have you thought about trying pyramid building?

Coredump

Explorer
Loving to DM is a great ideal to be sure. I'm just not seeing why it's worth all the trouble compared to other org.play stuff out there. It is a HUGE hassle to set up the game, as you have to go through the game store. I've been sitting on my bum for 3 weeks waiting for a response from our local stores as they don't even know what's up. Remember when we could just "order an adventure" and "run the adventure?"

Now it's like a bureaucratic nightmare! What kind of incentive is that?

jh

So your store stinks.... sorry to hear that.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
I guess the biggest incentive is to bring new people into the hobby. If the game store doesn't have any events, ask if you can run your own. If you are willing to commit to running the event at a specific time each week or something, you might help bring people to the store regularly. The last time I asked at a game store what events they had with Adventurer's League, they had never even heard of it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Its a really good place to start for beginning GMs. They have a lot of tools and hopefully a helpful community to lead them on their way to being competent and confident GMs. For experienced GMs its a social outlet. You get a chance to meet gamers from the community talk shop, share stories, and learn together. I think if you expect an identical experience to what you have in a home game you will disappointed. One must learn to temper their expectations of organized play. If you cant find a reason for it to work for you then maybe it wont.

Ghost Matter

Explorer
The lack of control is actually really fun. I can just read the adventure, show up, and concentrate on DMing. My local organizer said he likes it because it allows him to concentrate on playing NPCs.

Remove ads