D&D 5E Adv. League: What's in it for a GM?

Riley37

First Post
It's not for everyone.

I've been playing in an AL game at a local gaming store, because when I moved to this town, that's the first game I could find and join. I'm about to take a turn as DM, for about three months, so that the previous DM gets to take a turn as a player.

When I moved to San Mateo, the game store welcomed me to try 5E, and some of the first friends I've made here are friends from D&D. My personal moral compass requires me to pay that forward, so that the metaphorical door which was open and welcoming when I arrived, is also open and welcoming for others who arrive after me.

Yes, the store has certain standards and rules, because the game is *under their roof* and they have a reputation to maintain and protect, as does WotC. There are parents who drop off their teenage children, and those parents trust that the DM won't teach those children any more (or nastier) swearwords than ones their children already know. I'm OK with that. I'm even OK without pizza and cola at the table!

When the game store closes, many of us stay and chat on the sidewalk just outside. I see that as a good sign.

was

Adventurer
...Realistically, you would probably see very few material rewards from DMing this. Certainly nothing that would adequately compensate you for the time and energy expenditure.

...From an intrinsic standpoint, you would get to introduce gaming to the next generation. You would get to pass on the gaming values that you find important (fairness, equality..etc). Finally, you would get the opportunity to put a positive face on the gaming community.

...To me, the deciding factor would have to be how willing the store's management is to support you. If they're really not that interested in helping you out, then you certainly shouldn't feel obligated to run something that promotes their products.

S

Sunseeker

Because it's fun and quick and you don't have to work very hard? Everything is by-the-book, everything is pre-designed, you pretty much just turn it on and it runs.

pogre

Legend
It seems like a decent platform to poach good players from - I have not done it myself, so this is pure speculation on my part.

Reynard

Legend
If there are no actual benefits to running AL events specifically, just start a store game on your own terms. I doubt anyone clamoring to play D&D is going to turn their nose up at it because it is not an OP game -- and if they do, tell them to run AL games. I started a Pathfinder in store game (it started with Monte Cook's Dungeon-a-Day megadungeon) and even though I don't run or play in that game anymore due to time constraints, it is still going strong with plenty of players and new GMs. Drawing in new players does not require a organized play structure, it just requires folks playing in public. And if WotC can't be bothered to adequately reward DMs who volunteer to run the AL games, people should not do that thing.

mflayermonk

First Post
I'm looking at DMing for Adventurer's League. What's in it for me as a DM? I have zero control over the set-up, timing, events and the players at the table right? Why would I slave myself out for that? I've run other OP stuff over the years, and this just gives me an odd feeling compared to the other OP stuff I've run.

Thoughts?

jh

How about DMing AL at a convention? There the benefit is a badge. You can even bargain on slots for the badge. I had a local con tell me that they only gave out badges for running xx slots and I bargained them down to x- slots for a badge (they were so short on judges).

darjr

I crit!
I'm lucky in that my FLGS isn't afraid of requiring a decent level of behavior and cleanliness. Nor are they afraid of banning people, it's actually increased the participation at the store. I'm shocked that there are places that are not willing to do this.

I love to GM. I'd rather GM. I've met some fantastic folks via the public venue. Folks I'd never have otherwise met. We'll have three or four tables on a given Wednesday night (one that has 13 players at it, and mine that will often have seven or more) and seeing other GM's in action is interesting and entertaining. Besides it's really like a big party that I get to play D&D at. No, I get to GM D&D at, even better!

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I always imagined the only reason to play AL is to meet new people, and if you all get on, over time turn the group into a home game.

No-one plays AL for an extended period, do they? I dont know maybe they do.

Remove ads