log in or register to remove this ad

 

Adv: Rhapsody; Judge: renau1g

johnmeier1

First Post
I'd seem em mumbles Baern, flummoxed at the unfamilar urban environment. He keeps his eyes darting around while Nyar looks for a tavern. He half-whispers Can't tell the good guys from the bad guys in a city.

[sblock=OOC] ScorpiusRisk, did I get any of that information Nyar wanted with my two amazing Perception checks? [/sblock]
 

log in or register to remove this ad

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=Nyar and Baern]Whoops sorry.

You don't see any identifying marks on them. These guys don't seem like well trained mercenaries or even local amateurs. Allot of guards came from the military after the war. These guys don't hold themselves like soldiers.

They seem more like thugs to you. People who stayed away from the fighting to take advantage of the situation at home.[/sblock]

The Key Sip, itself looks like it's only the ground level. There's something above it, apartments or storage or something, but it has a separate entrance. The only building that might be connected to it is 'The Battle Pitt'. Quite a large closed arena, seems to be running some kind of gladiatorial style matches. You can't tell for sure if the buildings are connected without heading down one of the alleys, but if anything was, it would be this.

About a block away and around the corner you find a tavern called The Inkwell. It looks like the staff are clearing up after a recent rush. There's still a few people enjoying a drink or casual supper, but you should find some privacy.
 

FourMonos

First Post
Making sure the party has a clear view of the entrance, Nyar ensures they are separated enough to prevent anyone overhearing their conversation.

"Well friends, I wanted to make sure we had a chance to strategize and ensure we gave them a moment to relax after our first visit."

Nyar uses his Prestidigitation to make lines on the table to illustrate the outside structure of the building and any surrounding structures and visible entrances as he recalls it.

"I welcome any ideas. I thought maybe we should circle the building lookng for any other entrances or possibilities. There appeared to be some side alleys which might allow us to better enter the building. I am against the use of force unnecessarily. I also suggest we don't separate if we can help it."
 

johnmeier1

First Post
Baern looks at the layout, impressed by the wizard's magic. We could try to enter from the second floor but that might not be connected. I could climb one of those walls from the ally, quiet and unseen and lower a rope. But would we be violating the law of this city? He looks at his companions, obviously confused at this new complication.
 

modest

First Post
"Let us away, this area is not secure. More than ears could be listening to us." Dalvach looks around hurriedly, as if expecting an ambush at any second. Once inside The Inkwell, he seems to calm down slightly though his hand hasn't left the firm grip of his Craghammer. It acts almost like a safety blanket for the troubled Dwarf. "Well the way I see it we have three viable solutions, but we need proof before we act on any of them. So I say we wait. We have two things to wait on, Kelly and any activity within and around the shop. I think Baern should follow Kelly when she leaves and that Nyar and I can keep our eyes on the shop. Suggestions?"

[sblock=OOC] Daegaul (Zissou) won't be returning to the adventure, sadly. Sorry all. [/sblock]
 
Last edited:

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]One alley on each side of the building. One is about five feet wide, the other even smaller.

I beleive breaking and entering, is, in fact, illegal in Sharn.

Thanks for letting me know about Zissou. There's still three and a half of you and this was written to start with three so I'm good to go.[/sblock]
 

modest

First Post
[sblock=OOC] I am sorry about Zissou, I never thought he'd drop like he did. CaBaNa will be back at some point consistently but will probably be off and on till late July, early August if this lasts this long. Might be able or be forced to finish with three.[/sblock]
 

FourMonos

First Post
Nyar listens carefully to his comrades suggestions.

"My only concern, my dwarven friend, is that Kelly may not leave the building. There are more unseen areas inside the building. There could be living quarters, passages to other buildings, or who knows what."

With a wave of his hand, the symbols and lines on the table disappear.

"I think Baern has a strong point. Sharn has many holes to hide many dispicable things. However, if we go too far we risk going against the law. I don't wish to spend the rest of my days a bandit."

Nyar pauses just a moment, "I propose we circle the building at least once. An opportunity to search for clues, enter the building, or climb to the roof may well present itself. If that leads us nowhere, than maybe we can have you find a space to climb up, Baern. Sound fair?"
 

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=Here's the deal]This adventure was originally written for three players to start. That's what we've got now, three active players, a ranger, a wizard and an ardent. I have no issues with continuing like this.

This adventure also has three places in it, to add players, so as time went on the party would naturally build to what is generally considered a full party on the boards of 5 or 6. We're still right on track for that.

Modest, will you please ask Cabana for me if he thinks he can post twice a week while we are in combat? If he can great, then we've got four. If he can't, its fine. I'll write him out for now and he can be added back in later, at one of those add a player spots I just mentioned.

I expect this adventure to go till October. That's my best guess, right now, but there's obviously allot of factors involved.

In the meantime, lets just keep rolling. Nyar has composed a plan. If Dlavach and Baerne agree we can get started with our first skill challenge.[/sblock]
 

modest

First Post
[sblock=OOC] sure thing scorp, will let you know what's up with CaBaNa as soon as I'm back from vacation which will be Saturday. If we get more people in the meantime that's awesome I'm down. I just want to apologize to everyone for my friends lack of presence on here...they made it seem like they were really excited for this adventure.[/sblock]


Dalvach spits on the ground and shakes his head. A wave of discomfort exudes itself from Dalvach like a bell chime that rings all too suddenly. He glances about the establishment and through the window to the outside of the tavern, observing those about him. Some poor and dirty, some wealthy and clean. Some trying to peddle wares and some trying not to be seen. None of them look all too concerned with whatever the goings on of the three companions. "I don't like this place old friend...let us act and quickly. Not many about and those who are seem occupied. I've lost sight of Veruza and for some reason can't contact her through my usual methods," at this he points to the temple of his head, "therefore it would be most unwise for any of us to split further at this juncture. Well then comrades, the sooner we get this done the sooner we can enjoy the rewards! Let's make our purpose known." Dalvach utters a hearty laugh and gives a wink and a nod to Nyar and Baern.
 
Last edited:


FourMonos

First Post
Nyar gathers his staff, tightens his belt and gear and makes sure 'Tinder' is safe at hand.

"Then let us be off."

[sblock=ooc] Scorpius, I assume we will circle the building and explore the allys first [/sblock]
 

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
The party circles round to the other side of the block, near the Battle Pitt before they begin their reconnaissance. A quick check between everyone, and they're ready to go.

The Pitt is just finishing letting in the latest crowd, so you should be able to use the last people being admitted as a bit of cover as you head toward the alley.

The alley is only about five feet wide and quite filthy. You see bits of trash and scrap here and there. The grime will likely make some areas quite slick.

[sblock=ooc]Skill Challenge!

This works kind of like combat without Initiative. Everyone rolls one check of their choosing. Once each party member has made a roll, then you may roll again. Once a PC succeeds with a certain skill, any other rolls of that skill, for that PC, do not count toward success. The same goes for failure. Once you fail with that skill, any other failing rolls do not count with that skill.

For example, Dalvach rolls a successful stealth check in round 1. In round 2 he's going to want to try a different skill in order to gain enough successes to win. However, the other party members can still earn a success with Stealth.

Conversely, if Dalvach thought the other party members were more likely to succeed in other skills than he, but liked his stealth modifier he could try rolling stealth again, knowing that he can't succeed but he might not fail either.

-----------------------

Round 1

Dalvach
Bearn
Nyar

Successes: 0/8
Failures: 0/3

Primary Skills

Stealth DC 12
Perception DC 12
Acrobatics DC 17

You may attempt other skills, as long as they are accompanied by reasonable and/or creative posts. Really reasonable posts will have a DC of 14, less reasonable and more creative will have a DC 19.

Good luck.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

johnmeier1

First Post
Baern uses the cover of the crowd to slip into the alleyway. Although his cloak is dark green and brown, he moves it aside to expose more of his slate gray stone armor which blends into the nearby buildings better.

[sblock=OOC] Go for Stealth with Baern first, thinking it isn't the strong suit of the others
1d20+6=16
[/sblock]
 

FourMonos

First Post
[sblock=ooc] Well at this point, I can't come up with anything useful for my strong skills. So I will take the bullet and try the acrobatics check. About 40% success rate. I don't know Dalvach's perception, but I'm guessing he will pass that for our second success. [/sblock]

Nyar tries moving deftly through the crowd, hoping he doesn't catch anymore with his staff...

[sblock=acrobatics] 1d20+5 → [15,5] = (20) AHA!! Nimble little mage!
Roll Lookup [/sblock]
 

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Skill Challenge!

Just to be absolutely clear, you do not need to roll different skills from one another, you just cannot roll a skill that you've already succeeded on personally, and have it count as an additional success.

-----------------------

Round 1

Dalvach
Bearn
Nyar

Successes: 2/8
Failures: 0/3

Primary Skills

Stealth DC 12
Perception DC 12
Acrobatics DC 17

You may attempt other skills, as long as they are accompanied by reasonable and/or creative posts. Really reasonable posts will have a DC of 14, less reasonable and more creative will have a DC 19.

Good luck.[/sblock]
 

modest

First Post
Dalvach positions himself in the door frame of the Inkwell, carefully watching who passes by. He quickly tries to spot any unusual activity at the Key Sip, specifically watching for the guard positioned at the door. He fumbles around in his pockets with haste, clearly looking for something in particular. He spies an overweight bearded man who looks like he could possibly be a black smith or follows some sort of physical labor position. Dalvach quickly moves to follow him, out of sight of any eyes that might be watching from the Sip. Once in the alley with Nyar and Baern he makes a quick pocket check and lets out a curse. "..coulda sworn I..son of a goblin wench mother..can't believe I mispla..ah! Nevermind, here it is!" At this, Dalvach produces his second glass cutter. "I must have dropped my other one whilst following the fat human. Ah well, if there's one thing that I've learned in all these years, 'Follow a fat man if you're looking for shade, and always carry a spare." He winks to his comrades and hands the glass cutter over to Baern. "Here lad, I think ye make better use of this than I."

[sblock=Check] Perception check,
1d20+9 → [15,9] = (24) Roll Lookup [/sblock]
 

johnmeier1

First Post
Baern enters the alley and looks around, trying to find the best approach to the building. These buildings may be connected on another level... he whispers.

[sblock=OOC]Perception 1d20+12=14 roll, heh
[/sblock]
 

FourMonos

First Post
Nyar shifts throught the crowd like a shadow. No one watching would be able to see the deft maneuvers and positioning. He smiles to himself, "Ya still got it you old library rat."

Changing tactics, Nyar notices a deep bank of shadows close to the alley. He attempts to slip in undetected.

[sblock=stealth] 1d20+5 → [16,5] = (21), Roll Lookup [/sblock]
 

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I'm not quite sure how Dalvach's IC information equated to a perception check but I guess his backpack is REALLY disorganized. You beat the check by twelve so I'm taking it and adding an extra success.

Thievery may now be attempted. DC 17.[/sblock]

The three make their way down the alley and soon find what they believe to be the back wall of the back area or the shop. There's a window of glass that looks like it was painted black on the otherside, perhaps this alley once has some light shining through it before this area got more popular, and therefore crowded.

The groups combined senses seem to confirm that the room on the other side is empty, or at least very quiet.

[sblock=Skill Challenge]

Round 2

Dalvach
Bearn; Acted
Nyar; Acted

Successes: 5/8
Failures: 0/3

Primary Skills

Stealth DC 12
Perception DC 12
Acrobatics DC 17
Thievery DC 17

You may attempt other skills, as long as they are accompanied by reasonable and/or creative posts. Really reasonable posts will have a DC of 14, less reasonable and more creative will have a DC 19.

Good luck.[/sblock]
 

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top