[Adventure] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge:Lord Sessadore)

Son of Meepo

First Post
"Yes, we must," Wat agrees. "But many of us are in no condition to fight. Facing Soryth now would be suicidal. I have noticed strange deviations in the flow of time around the waterfall of the crystal cave. When we came here we noticed the same sounds and water phenomena here. Is it possible that time flows differently in this palace than outside? We desperately need a bit of time to rest."

jbear

First Post
Porpherio smiles. "This place in the cave are connected. It would take me some time to explain to one expert in ways of wizardry. To those untrained explaining how that is possible is perhaps a waste of time. But no, time flows differently between your world and my Garden. A day here is a week in the outside world. But inside or outside the palace ... the flow of time is the same. Perhaps if it is rest you need, we are safe enough here."

A voice interrupts the conversation. "I beg to differ" the voice rumbles. "I would say you are far from safe. My quarry is found, attending a party no less," continues a thin, smirking giant that has appeared atop the steps. He has green skin and pointed ears, and hair and eyes the golden color of straw. He leans on a spear and loosely carries a wooden shield carved in the likeness of a laughing elf's face. His armor is the hide of some blue furred beast, the fur turned inward. "Ragnar sends his greetings, Orlando. I am Basal of the Green Fey. Many apologies for spoiling the party, but it's time for you to die."Orlando looks on in shock, but Basal makes no immediate move.

GM: Arcana check as Knowledge Check to gain info on Basal's race

Son of Meepo

First Post
Wat looked at the would be assassin he certainly wasn't the type of creature he'd expected. But he stood in front of Orlando blocking Basal's way.

"Not so fast Basal. Ragnar has sent us to call you off. He believes in our plan to thwart Soryth now and has given us his key to the witch's lair. Return to him and avoid unnecessary bloodshed while you can."

Arcana (1d20+8=19)

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Sabynha, sword still in hand, moves to stand beside Wat, also interposing herself between Orlando and the giant. "He speaks truth. We come with Ragnar's blessing, and his respect; behold - we bear gifts from him that should be familiar to you." The vistani displays the Oak leaf given to them by Ragnar.

"I would really prefer not to fight, but we will stand against you if we must. If you think us liars, then take us before Ragnar yourself. If we lie, then he will know it and likely give you the honour of killing us before him, but how would it be for you if your master were to discover your folly if you do not believe us?"

She thought that was pretty solid reasoning, and full of as much confidence and daring as she could muster.

[sblock=rolls]Arcana 1d20+6=25
Using Words of Friendship, and trying to talk the giant out of a fight. 1d20+12+5=19[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
[sblock=Arcana DC 13; Sabynha & Wat]This is a verbeeg, a fey giant, and a young one. Verbeegs are warriors and tricksters.

[sblock=Arcana DC 20: Sabynha]Verbeegs have a reputation for being sly bullies at best. They love games, but any verbeeg readily exploits loopholes in the rules. [/sblock] [/sblock]

Basal raises a hand and addresses you, saying, "I have a duty to fulfill, as it seems do you. A leaf means nothing to me. I have given my word. It matters little what you have spoken since with Ragnar, even if that were true ... What to do ...? We should contest for the prize, yes? Here's my proposal-we fight until one side is defeated or submits, and the victor gets Orlando. Fighting all of you at once seems fair to me. I am sorry about your friend outside ... I am sure she will have a headache when she awakens. What say you? I am willing to listen to other terms for the combat, if you have suggestions."

Neil1889

First Post
[sblock=Arcana check]19.[/sblock]

Rain had been regarding Basal's appearance with alarm, genuinely worried about Shandra.

"I've little time for such bargains. Whatever happens, I'll be doing the best I can to stop you," she says angrily.

She moves in front of the others, blade in the guard position.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
"I have heard tell of your kind before, giant. Your kin have a reputation of deception and brutality; what assurance do you give that you will keep your word, and to the spirit of any bargain we would make with you?" Sabynha was not concerned with offending the creature; he seemed intent on bloodshed regardless.

Sabynha was tired in her bones, and looking to her companions, most of them seemed tired as well, but this was what they had come here to do. Perhaps even if the four remaining companions could not outfight him, there was still a way to outsmart the lumbering brute...

Son of Meepo

First Post
Wat shakes his head.

"If combat is what you intend, then there is little use in talking. Terms are meaningless as we have no reason to trust that you would uphold them."

jbear

First Post
The giant's eyes glitter as it considers Sabynha and then Wat's words. Mirth wrinkles his features. "How will you know ... you won't. But if you choose not to take up my offer to give you a fighting chance and to make this slightly more exciting for me, so be it ... You will stand in my way, you will die, and I will do what I came to do. And because you bore me I will do it all as quickly as I can. Shall we begin or have you something to say?" The giant stifles a yawn and hefts his spear awaiting your response. His absolute sense of surety he speaks with
is more than a little unnerving, especially considering the bruised, battered and exhausted that the party currently finds themselves.

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
"Fine then, since you're so sure of yourself, and of our inability to stop you, I propose this," Sabynha wasn't sure if her would stick to his word, but in any case it couldn't hurt to try.

The vistani called upon her stage voice, and began, "First, we will all fight to subdue; no killing, and that includes you, giant. Second, your quarry will stay out of the fight, and you will not attack him. Should you defeat us, you must bring your quarry - alive and well - to Ragnar before you kill him. If you are so certain of your mission, surely your boss will not mind if you carry it out in front of him, and if you are wrong and we are right, then you've saved yourself the dishonour of the blunder you are about to make. In fact, we will even let you take all the credit."

When she was done, she paused a moment to allow the brute to consider the offer, then added some pressure to taunt him, "Will you agree to these conditions, or does your bluster only serve to hide the cowardice within you?"

Last edited:

Remove ads