• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) A Tidy Profit... [Judge: Uriel]

silentspace

First Post
Atella whispers to Jo "Did you get the feeling that D'Artagnan and Gurian shouldn't be on that boat? They're not just wanted men, they're involved in some sort of criminal activity right now. And Brother Cadfel sent us right into the middle of it without any warning! I don't know about you but I think this Brother Cadfel is due for some payback."

orsal

LEW Judge
silentspace said:
Atella whispers to Jo "Did you get the feeling that D'Artagnan and Gurian shouldn't be on that boat? They're not just wanted men, they're involved in some sort of criminal activity right now. And Brother Cadfel sent us right into the middle of it without any warning! I don't know about you but I think this Brother Cadfel is due for some payback."

Jo shrugs and whispers, "I don't know. He sent us to deliver a package to this other guy, Kristoff. He knew Kristoff was down here. I don't know what Kristoff was involved with, or what Brother Cadfel knew about it.

"On the other hand", he added after a pause, "there must be some reaon why they had to hire couriers, why nobody at the temple wanted to do a simple job like this themselves."

Scorpio

First Post
[OOC-I have no idea why I said 'scuttle the boat'...LOL...it must have been late, I meant survey,LOL...]
D'Artagnon waits, looking for anything that might have startled the others...

Jack Haggerty

First Post
The moon hasn't risen yet and the lanterns are sparse, so spots of deep shadow linger even for those with keen eyesight. Minutes pass as everyone waits for something to happen.

Nothing does.

The tension is broken when a drunken sailor stumbles by on the dockside street. A pair of town guardsmen, one of whom is carrying a lantern show up to move the drunkard along. Singing loudly and poorly, the inebriated man continues on his merry way, without taking any notice of you whatsoever. The guards turn and make their way up the alley toward the center of town.

silentspace

First Post
Atella, sounding a bit embarrassed, says "I thought I saw a lantern being hooded and shadows moving about in that alley. Thought it might be ambushers with darkvision."

Atella pauses, thinking.

"Jo? Zhangsun? Shall we head back to the tavern now?"

orsal

LEW Judge
silentspace said:
"Jo? Zhangsun? Shall we head back to the tavern now?"

Jo stops to think. Even if there is someone or something besides them hiding somewhere, is there any reason to think the purpose is to ambush Jo and Atella? More likely the strange men on the boat, the one who said they were trying to exonerate themselves, were the target. There didn't seem to be any point waiting.

But just to make sure... Atella's earlier alarm had left Jo a little cautious. When Haisi, who has been flying overhead, next loops back to where they are, Jo observes to see whether the eagle (Spot +14) seems to have noticed anything unusual on the ground. Not the Haisi would probably recognize anything suspicious -- he isn't experienced in city life, after all -- but just in case Jo can pick up any clues.

Assuming he doesn't get any clues from Haisi, Jo will agree with Atella that it is time to move on.
As they emerge from their hiding spot, he will keep his spear ready but not drawn, as he doesn't wish to appear too suspicious himself to strangers.

Scorpio

First Post
D'Artagnon stands up.
"Hey, Atella, you say can work a lock? Listen, guys, get on board here and I'll explain why Gurian and I are here...and why there may be a good reason for all of us to join up."
He coils his whip and waits an answer.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
orsal said:
Jo observes to see whether the eagle (Spot +14) seems to have noticed anything unusual on the ground. Not the Haisi would probably recognize anything suspicious -- he isn't experienced in city life, after all -- but just in case Jo can pick up any clues.

Haisi is obviously anxious about something, but whether it's boredom from hanging around the city too long, eagerness to hunt some of those lovely fish in the harbor, or waryness of some as yet unseen danger, you cannot say.

Remove ads